Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 460M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello everybody guys. I have installed Snow Leopard retail 10.6.3 on my laptop (specs listed below) and then upgraded 10.6.7, installed my kexts with Multibeast etc. as described in the guide. I have followed many guide and as a matter of fact everything's smooth during the installation and all. Sometimes happens, though, that my system hangs and then freezes and there's no way to restore it. I have kind of understood it's because of my graphics card. It might be the problem.
By looking in the console messages, the error I get before it freezes is:

Code:
23/05/11 23.30.32	kernel	NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x26 = FECS Err: Watchdog Timeout

Has anyone with my same graphics card experienced the same problem? And if so, how did you solved the problem?
My system is a laptop Asus G53JW, Intel Core i7 740M @1.73GHz, 8GB Ram DDR3 1333 MHz, NVIDIA GTX 460M.

The boot flags are GraphicsEnabler=yes cpus=8 busratio=13. I have tried with idlehalt=0 but this sometimes causes kernel panics.
So... any ideas? Should I provide more informations?

EDIT: I should add that, oddly enough, when I use a programme like Wallsaver, it doesn't freeze although I have some random and short lockups.

freakazoid1988 said:
The boot flags are GraphicsEnabler=yes cpus=8 busratio=13. I have tried with idlehalt=0 but this sometimes causes kernel panics.

Try to boot in 32 bit mode (just to test if it's a problem of 64 bit nvidia kext).
flag to boot in 32 is "arch=i386" if i remember correctly.

Did you use iBoot3 or iBoot Legacy? Trying to install mine into my G73JW. Thanks.

I have actually used Nawcom for boot and then installed Multibeast once the installation is done. I made that because for some reason iBoot doesn't work, it freezes when it loads Realtek lnx2mac kext. Which, oddly enough, works very smoothly on my installed system. Haven't tried iBoot legacy yet since Nawcom BootCD worked just fine. I really don't think something changes, though.

masso912 said:
Try to boot in 32 bit mode (just to test if it's a problem of 64 bit nvidia kext).
flag to boot in 32 is "arch=i386" if i remember correctly.

No, man, nothing changes. I have found this interesting discussion here, but you know... I thought there was a better solution. ;)
It's just strange that there are many people here with similar laptops (G53SW-G73SW) and I'm the only one with such problems.

Hi i have a Toshiba Qosmio X500 Q930X i have the same Nvidia Ge force GTX 460m Video card i been having bad problems with my video card since i got this laptop 3 days ago i noticed i don't have these problems when i uninstall the drivers for this card when i use regular vga windows graphic drivers it works fine when i used the nvidia drivers it freezes then the screen goes black then it restarts my computer because in my computer the setting to restart automatically if system Familiar happens does anybody have any idea how to fix this i payed 5 grand for this laptop thanks again From Antonio.

AntonioMichael87 said:
Hi i have a Toshiba Qosmio X500 Q930X i have the same Nvidia Ge force GTX 460m Video card i been having bad problems with my video card since i got this laptop 3 days ago i noticed i don't have these problems when i uninstall the drivers for this card when i use regular vga windows graphic drivers it works fine when i used the nvidia drivers it freezes then the screen goes black then it restarts my computer because in my computer the setting to restart automatically if system Familiar happens does anybody have any idea how to fix this i payed 5 grand for this laptop thanks again From Antonio.

Windows graphics driver? Maybe you've chosen the wrong forum. :/

what do you mean i may have chosen the wrong forum everyone else on this forum topic has been having the same type of problems with the same video card and i have nivida drivers installed i was using the VGA windows drivers windows VGA drivers work better but are basic i then went to nivida and installed there newest drivers for the video card i'm still having the crashing problems

do you have any advice or are you just going to tell me to go ask another forum

AntonioMichael87 said:
what do you mean i may have chosen the wrong forum everyone else on this forum topic has been having the same type of problems with the same video card and i have nivida drivers installed i was using the VGA windows drivers windows VGA drivers work better but are basic i then went to nivida and installed there newest drivers for the video card i'm still having the crashing problems

do you have any advice or are you just going to tell me to go ask another forum

You can't talk about Windows drivers, o_O we're talking about Mac OS X.

okay then explain this

Has anyone with my same graphics card experienced the same problem? And if so, how did you solved the problem?
My system is a laptop Asus G53JW, Intel Core i7 740M @1.73GHz, 8GB Ram DDR3 1333 MHz, NVIDIA GTX 460M.

thats somebody elses post on this forum i have the same video card so the forum relates to me please dont give me attitude for asking a forum question about the same video card and nobody on this forum stated they had mac so that wasnt my fault second the title of the forum states Bad GTX 460m Behaviour - system hangs and freezes well i have that video card and im having system hangs and freezes so technicly my question relates to this forum so please be a little more respectful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back