X5670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I've managed to get El Cap running on an HP Probook 6460b. It's survived one kernel update, but I'm anxious about future updates. What backup strategy are most of you using? How would you recover if an update bricked your OS X install?

In the past, on desktops, I would use a combination of an extra SATA drive, SuperDuper and the Clover installer to create a bootable clone. This worked pretty well, but I've recently been told that this combo no longer works.

I've made an important modification to my Hackbook - I removed the optical drive and replaced it with another SATA hard drive. However, that drive has Windows 7 installed and I'd like to keep it that way. I've thought about using a USB thumb drive as a clone, but capacities over 64GB get expensive fast. I do have a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure, but I'd prefer a flash solution even if it is USB 2.0.

So I've managed to get El Cap running on an HP Probook 6460b. It's survived one kernel update, but I'm anxious about future updates. What backup strategy are most of you using? How would you recover if an update bricked your OS X install?

In the past, on desktops, I would use a combination of an extra SATA drive, SuperDuper and the Clover installer to create a bootable clone. This worked pretty well, but I've recently been told that this combo no longer works.

I've made an important modification to my Hackbook - I removed the optical drive and replaced it with another SATA hard drive. However, that drive has Windows 7 installed and I'd like to keep it that way. I've thought about using a USB thumb drive as a clone, but capacities over 64GB get expensive fast. I do have a 2.5" USB 3.0 enclosure, but I'd prefer a flash solution even if it is USB 2.0.

Cloned partition should work fine for backups (I would just use Disk Utility, or TimeMachine), provided you know how to restore using it...
And updates should be ok, assuming you followed my guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back