Contribute
Register

Backup Solutions For Your Mac or CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Backup Solutions For Your Mac or CustoMac

Basic backup strategy:
1. Local, hourly, incremental backups. Time machine on an internal or NAS drive is great for this.
2. Bootable clone, updated nightly. I use SuperDuper. This way if something goes wrong you lose almost no working time; you can be up and running in a minute.
3. Offsite physical clone, updated weekly. I store an external hard drive in a completely different building and bring it in once a week to backup everything. Then I move it offsite again. This way, if your apartment/house/whatever goes down in a fire, you still have something to fall back on; you haven't lost your life's worth of data.
4. Cloud-based storage. My email is based on GMail; my current documents all live in DropBox; my contacts etc. are stored in iCloud. Each of these things functions like a pseudo-backup, so if I do lose my local data, there's at least a good chance I'll still be able to access my key files from my phone or a loaner computer.

Remember people, data doesn't really exist until it's in at least two places, preferably three or four.

I have 1 and 2 down, if my striped raid array ever fails I can just throw the clone in and keep on going. Need to step my game up and get 3 and 4 implemented in my daily work though.

Great tools all. I still use the free version of Carbon Copy Cloner, otherwise known as "CCC" which is fine under 10.8.1 although they warn me to upgrade. I used to Super Duper everything but the free version doesn't allow smart updates ;-)

I really need to do this... For both my 1 TB Windows 7 side and 1 TB OS X side.

Is it possible to get backups working using one hard drive for both systems, say, a 2 TB external?

I use Time Machine, but for cloning my Hackintosh drive, I've been using Chronosync (which I use for other stuff as well).

Mainly for 15k photos, 2k home videos, and 13k songs, here's what I do:

1- Time Machine runs on all four of my home "Macs", backing up to an Ivy Customac Mountain Lion OS X Server hard drive , which uses a different internal hard drive for its own TM plus an external eSATA drive as TM #2 destination.

2- Daily SuperDuper images on each client and server, backing up to a server hard drive.

3- CrashPlan Family Unlimited backing to CrashPlan's cloud, plus a local external eSATA drive attached to the server.

4- Weekly SuperDuper backups to an external drive which I keep in my car outside the house.

All this runs fast, smooth, and is tested.

Is there any reason or advantage to have an external hard drive as a time machine backup for clients?
I'm running ML server and have an extra internal hard drive I was going to use for clients.

I used both SD and CCC never need to install the bootloader after backup. its there and backup drive boots. CCC seems to be faster

Is there any reason or advantage to have an external hard drive as a time machine backup for clients?
I'm running ML server and have an extra internal hard drive I was going to use for clients.

My clients are spread across 3 floors of the house. I like the external hard drive's portability in the, hopefully unlikley, event the server is down completely and I need to rebuild a client, or simply recover some files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back