Contribute
Register

Backing up questions ("dd" command, SuperDuper, Time Machine). Preparing to upgrade OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz w/ HD4000
Graphics
HD4000 Integrated Graphics on CPU
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am getting ready to upgrade my OS from Mountain Lion 10.8.2 to either El Capitan or Sierra.

I unplugged my 128GB SSD boot drive and plugged it into my dad's CentOS 6 machine (which BTW couldn't read or mount the hfs+ Mac OS Extended(Journaled) file-system). On that we used the dd command "dd if=somethingwiththecorrectdisknumberiforgetexactly of=alsoforgot.img".

I am no expert on this stuff so I wanted to double check with this forum. If something gets messed up during the upgrading and the SSD won't boot, can I just plug to SSD back into the CentOS machine and dd the .img file back onto the SSD to get everything back exactly how it was (and boot normally)?

Will it be a completely exact bit-for-bit copy? and contain all the boot-loader (BTW I am using Chimera) stuff? and boot like normal?

Also, to be safe(, I am super paranoid,) I am thinking of doing a SuperDuper Disk Image copy to one of my internal HDDs. Is it OK to boot onto my SSD like normal, and then use SuperDuper to copy that same SSD while the system is running on it? I was confused by some stuff I read while researching and some people said that the source and destination drives need to be unmounted or something. Anyone know?

Also, as a third option(, very super paranoid,) I am going to make a time machine back up onto a separate internal HDD. If I need to do a fresh install of ML or ElCap or Sierra, will I be able to just restore from a time machine back up onto the same original SSD? Will time machine act weird if I try to restore onto a newer OS version?

Thanks in advanced for helping me find some clarity and relief :)

Recommend you use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner or even Mac OS disk utility to clone your drive to a separate HDD/SSD and install Chimera or Clover boot loader to make it bootable (either that or create a USB rescue USB drive - forum search is your friend for instructions) before overwriting your drive.

Thanks I ended up doing every method of backing up, just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back