Contribute
Register

B&W G3 Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
POWER SUPPLY

Power-supply selection is just one more area that requires attention.
You see the old case was designed in an era where 80mm fan power supplies were common.
However today these older style supplies are a little harder to find.
There are two reasons to sourcing one of these older supplies, and i will tell you why.
firstly is the benefit to airflow that it has. the direction of flow is superior to the 120mm fan types
and secondly you will be more likely to find the plug and switch in the original position.

You can see in the photo, one of my regrets in modifying this case, I cut out the fan grill to the supply.
I wouldn't have had to if i had this power supply in the first place
I would love to replace that panel in the future

For reference i am using a Antec, Neo HE 430watt, semi modular.

Attachments

• PICT0129.JPG
    PICT0129.JPG
    426.4 KB · Views: 1,107
  • PICT0130.JPG
    PICT0130.JPG
    396.7 KB · Views: 818
  • PICT0131.JPG
    PICT0131.JPG
    420.2 KB · Views: 819
This is a great Mod... Makes me wish I hadn't given away my old G3. It too was a 333 that I upgraded to 400mhz added graphics card etc. in 2007 for about $600. LOL. The last OS I got on it was 10.4. I got rid of it cause I was moving cross country and didn't need the bulk of it and it's HUGE matching 17" CRT. The computer was in perfect working condition. Oh well... Great Work!

yeah, I always knew when we moved on from this computer
that i would one day use it for something.

The only case modification I had to do was trim a small section of the lower corner for the mobo and a small section of the upper tray. Of course the IO section needs work, but that was very minor. I've even kept the lower section of that IO sticker that says Apple 1999.

The PSU that I chose was the Cougar DX500. They do list a DX600, but no one seems to sell it. NO modifications to the case were necessary. The fan is a bit loud, and I wish I had a little more power for future upgrades, but at least my case looks stock.

Now that I have my front mounted card reader connected, I'll try to remember to take some good pics and post them on my build thread.

POSTpro- I listed a company in my thread that will SHIP you a unit for less than $40! Mine functioned upon receipt and looks pretty good for a 14 year old computer. No major cracks or defects. Give it some thought. This is a fun and beautiful case to work on.

Jeff i understand your point, but i would really ask you to consider MicroATX motherboard
before cutting out corners. This case is too small for that sort of thing.

CABLING

In any control cabinet that folds out you need to be extra vigilant in cabling.
Making sure your cables are neat enough so that you don't get them jammed in the door should be your priority.
I chose a semi modular PSU to ensure the cables were minimal and then went about routing them to best suit my layout.
You can see in the original case that the cables are something to be admired.
Knowing that we now have different conditions, I tried to do my best to emulate the result.
To do this i have routed them in the most sensible position i could. right down the middle.
You may also notice the use of anchors to keep them in place. Push-through for the hinge and stick-on for the 4-pin.

The cables are even out of the way of some of the biggest video cards available!

Attachments

• PICT0132.JPG
    PICT0132.JPG
    900.9 KB · Views: 1,160
  • PICT0136.JPG
    PICT0136.JPG
    765.8 KB · Views: 1,005
  • PICT0139.JPG
    PICT0139.JPG
    400.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • PICT0140.JPG
    PICT0140.JPG
    754.8 KB · Views: 862
Very interested in seeing the finished product here. I picked up a B&W PowerMac two weeks ago to use the case for a hackintosh (this will be my first) and have researched extensively to prepare. What you've done so far is quite in line with my vision so I'm eager to see the next few steps. What you have so far is quite impressive; my hope (like yours) is to keep as much of the original vision intact.

Thanks! you'll have to be patient though.
the reason i am doing this write up is because i had a power-supply failure.
It won't be back together for a while.
when i am done i hope to have a new graphics card and maybe some sleaving.

I'd like to know about the final Heatsink that you have use, it's long and thin, and i'd like to know about a good psu to use with it. Can you help me? Very thanks.

I'd like to know about the final Heatsink that you have use, it's long and thin, and i'd like to know about a good psu to use with it. Can you help me? Very thanks.

A factory intel heatsink fits quite well in a G3 B&W or G4 powermac case. Any PSU with a rear exhaust fan seem to be preferable vs one with a large, internal fan which would face towards the back wall of the case. There are quite a few off brand PSUs that should fit without cutting any of the plastic but Antec also makes a couple: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371004

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back