GT 710
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
This is my very cheap mod.
First i got very lucky to get some old Power Mac´s as a gift. 2 Quicksilver (733/Dual800) and 3 Gigabit Ethernet (400).
The Dual works great but the 733 hat issues. A short time later i got an old HP 3400 Pr mt as a gift.
The goal was to make it as cheap as possible. So the only thing i change was to change the Celeron with a i5 2400k for 20€.
i fittet the board and glued it in place. The PSU fittet perfectly. The optical Drive hat to be cuttet in front so it fit now.
I'm happy.
Specs:
- i5 2400k 3.1 Ghz

• 4 GB Ram

• Broadcom Bluetooth USB Dongle

• hp CDDVDW SH-216ALN

• Realtek RTL8168E/8111E PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet (On Board)

• CT120BX500SSD1 SSD

• nVidia GeForce GT 220 1GB

the only changes that are visible are the power button that glow blue. And on the Back of course.

One thing is sad. I used an old WiFi Card from an iMac 2006 in the PCI-e Mini Slot and on El Capitan it worked but after Upgrade to High Sierra it didn't recognise anymore. Swell as my iSight from the same iMac. On El Capitan i got it to work now it is not recognised anymore.

<<UPDATE>>
So i modified the Powerswitch to the original. I had to desolder all the Chips on the small board and soldered the cabled direct to the switch. The OpenFirmware Switch i removed and glued the HDD LED in place. Button and all lights are working fine.
Still cheap still nice ;)

Attachments

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2VP
CPU
i5-2400K
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
In the meantime i tried to paint it and it was awfull, sort of. I even managed to brweak the top Plastic while removing the paint. But i do have a plan but i still try to keep it as cheap as possible.
New Parts
A ATX Powercable extension ( 6€)
Gigabyte Mainboard (25€) Pictures above
plus 8GB Ram (0€)
MSI Geforce GT 710 (20€)
Now it has Mojave installed. Pictures follow after Painting.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2VP
CPU
i5-2400K
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
it is not fully complete but everything is working.
it is super quiet and yes i stole the idea a bit :)
I call it PoweMac i5 Graphite/Snow
The black is painted in Metallic Black from the Inside. It gives a beautiful graphite look.
The outside is painted in matt white. And the Apple Logo on the sides are in black.
The small apple logo on the Front has a yellow LED that indicate HDD Traffic
Powerbutton yellow original LED and fully functional.
i am very pleased.

Attachments

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2VP
CPU
i5-2400K
Graphics
GT 710
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
iMac, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
--tiny update
Now with Apple IR/Remote thanks to this Board i soldered an old IR Sensor from an iMac 20/2006 to an USB plug
Also the Apple Logo on front has now 2 LED`s, one is Red fro HDD and a Green one for the optical drive

Attachments

Last edited: