Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Re: Need Help Deciding on whether or not to spend money

tlace19 said:
OK so best buy has a killer deal:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western%20D ... 349&loc=01

But I sort of wanted a sata 6.0MBps drive for my GA-H67N-USB3-B3 board to max capabilities but because of flooding in thailand hdd's have skyrocketed, for a good 1 tb drive we are talking 150 bucks, should i get this while its here? or does 6.0 really make that difference?

Here is the other option:
http://www.fticomputer.com/scripts/product.asp?PRDCODE=1109-ST3750525AS&REFID=FR

Please Help me choose...

I have heard of people having problems when using the Western Digital Caviar Green hard disks as the boot drive in their hackintoshes because of the "Advanced Format" used in these drives (no problem when used as data drives).

So I believe you should go for the second option.

In the past year i bought 3 western digitals 1TB each, which are:
1- WD Green 1TB Sata2 (WD10EADS) bought 2 years ago
2- WD Blue 1TB Sata2 (WD10EALS) bought 1 year ago
3- WD Blue 1TB Sata3 (WD10EALX) bought a couple of months ago

i bought #3 to replace #1 which was used as boot main drive for Windows 7 OS, because I read that you should not put an OS on a green drive because the last is made to be silent and consume less power, which means less performance, but passing from a green SATA2 to Blue SATA3 i saw no performance increase at all, HD tach gave similar results, so the SATA3 -6Gbps for a classic rotational disk is useless...

I don't know about the advanced format, because all 3 that I have are normal format (not 4kb sectors)

and currently I have MAc OS on #3 formatted as GPT

(about the HD crisis: I got #3 a couple of months ago for €55, last week I saw its price jump between €170 and €250.... just crazy......)

Thanks Guys apparently with what is going on in Thailand right now it is impossible to find those in stock anyway, I opted on a Seagate 750GB HDD Sata/600 7200rpm, found it cheap since it was discontitnued due to the success of their 1 TB sales. If you were originally looking for that 1 TB which will now cost you around $150 if your lucky I would see if you can find a 750 in stock, same product minimal space difference but almost $100 dollars cheaper, at least until the market bounces back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back