Contribute
Register

Automatically Ignore "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" message with Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
When I boot into Moutain Lion I get 4 messages (one for each of my Windows Raid drives) that asks me if I want to format the drives. The message reads: "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer". Options are to ignore, format or eject the drives/disks. Having to click away these messages with the ignore button (I'm not looking to use the drives in OSX) is a minor annoyance but I would rather not have them appear since other people may use the computer and end up mucking things up or get confused (as well as think hackintosh is too hacky for their own use).

I have tried may ways of editing /etc/fstab as outlined in the article here: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060930150059172 and other places but since OSX does not recognize the filesystem and therefor present a UUID for the partitions on the drives the article isn't of much help. Neither can I use a Volume Name / Label to prevent the OSX from attempting to mount the drives, since again OSX doesn't recognize the windows raid partitions and therefor doesn't present a Label for the partitions.

Anyone solve this.. seems to be a problem that has been around forever for those with filesystems OSX doesn't recognize... maybe someway of automatically clicking away the messages (as kludgy as it maybe) is the only solution...

TL;DR: Need OSX to ignore windows raid drives, no UUID to put in /etc/fstab... alternatives ?

I occasionally go on a kick where I ask this same question in the forums and never get anywhere... I actually posted the same question a day or so ago...

I'm starting to think maybe the best way to do this may be to find a way to completely disable the data ports inside osx?? Assuming thats even possible.

Bump.. I'm back on this kick, and only found my own posts thus far...

post results of diskutil list [enter]
post the boot log from boot to end of telling system to ignore drives

I have two disks for my windows raid 0 on and Intel raid array that I think are causing this prompt on every reboot. Did anyone find a way to just ignore it?

Thanks

I have the same issue I'd like to find a work around to.

The issue is that with Raid 0 disks created with the Intel SoftRaid set up in the BIOS (for a windows array), OSX does not know/assign a UUID to the disks. As a result the usual suggestions to FSTAB will now work.

Even getting the system to auto respond with the "Ignore" button on the messages would be fine!

EDIT:

SOLUTION FOUND!!!

https://github.com/jrnewell/disk-arbitration-agent

I had merged two hard drives in windows as spanned dynamic disk and osx was prompting that very irritating unreadable disk pop up on every boot. After searching for some time I finally found a much simpler method which really worked for me. It was posted here in Andre Richter's blog.

I did as follows:
  1. Download or clone Andre Richter's diskejectd from (github) here.
  2. Extract the file if you downloaded as zip.
  3. Read the README file for all details.
    (no need to read further if you know what you have to do after reading the readme file)

4. Note the names of unreadable drive(s) form diskutil or type diskutil list in terminal for identifier (It is often the biggest partition of your unreadable disk).
  5. Edit the com.diskejectd.plist file from the extracted folder and add the device name of the unreadable disk partition e.g disk1s2 . For me - I had to add the following under <key>ProgramArguments</key> - because of two windows dynamic disk - as follows:
    <string>/usr/local/sbin/diskejectd</string>
    <!-- <string>-quiet</string> -->
    <string>disk2s3</string>
    <string>disk3s3</string>

(change the disk2s3 and disk3s3 here above in the string tag with your unreadable disk identifier and paste it in that plist file.)

6. Open terminal and cd to that extracted folder (for me it was cd /Downloads/diskejectd-master).
  7. Next type make in the same terminal. (if this doesn't work you may need to install xcode form app store)
  8. Than type sudo make install
  9. Finally type sudo make start then reboot, now you will not be nagged by that annoying popup.

Last edited:
  1. Menu -> Go -> Utilities -> Terminal.app
  2. Issue this command -> diskutil list
  3. Note the names of the unreadable drive(s). (It is often the partition with the biggest size, but ignoring the 'name' with an asterisk.)
  4. Download or clone Andre Richter's diskejectd from (github) here.
  5. Hit the green button, "Clone or Download" and download the file.
  6. Navigate to the downloaded file.
  7. Double click the downloaded file. It will create a folder called "diskejectd-master".
  8. Double click that folder and right click the file com.diskejectd.plist -> openwith -> other -> TextEdit.app
  9. locate the line "<key>ProgramArguments</key>"
  10. add the lines in red (use the space bar to make it look nice)
<string>/usr/local/sbin/diskejectd</string>
<!-- <string>-quiet</string> -->
<string>diskXXX</string>

<string>diskYYY</string>

11. Menu -> Quit, save the file when prompted.
12. Open a terminal window
13. cd /Downloads/diskejectd-master
14. Next type make in the same terminal. (if this doesn't work you may need to install xcode form app store)
15. Than type sudo make install
16.Finally type sudo make start
17. exit
18. Close the Terminal through the Menu.
19. Reboot the system.

Elucidated for those of us who aren't programmers.

A million thanks, TheElater. I've been fighting this problem forever. :thumbup: I pity the guy who mistakenly hits "Initialize".

Last edited:

You, sir, truly are Mr. Incredible!

I am dual-booting El Capitan and Linux Mint, and at startup El Capitan kept trying to mount the drive that I am using for the /home directory on the Linux side.

Went to the link above, followed the directions, and Bazinga- No more "the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" messages!

THANK YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back