Contribute
Register

Automatically Auto-Adjust Monitor using a Script?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008)
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770k (3.4 GHz)
Graphics
NVidia GeForce GTX 560-Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hallelujah!! After half a year of literally restarting my computer at least 5 times a day, I finally made my 560 Ti graphics card work with Yosemite!! Thanks to this community!!! :D :D :) ;)

Now all I have left to make this computer perfect is just to fix the positioning of the screen... This has been an issue ever since I got my hackintosh and I've never been able to fix it. The problem is that my screen is "shifted" up and to the left every time I start my computer up. The up shift isn't that big of a deal because only a small part of the menu bar is obscured, but the left part is the biggest issue. I use a lot of editing software and the tools are always on the left so they are always cut off when I use any programs. This makes it really annoying as all the windows scale to the width of my screen automatically.

I can fix this temporarily through my monitor itself. My monitor is a Samsung TV, so basically I just click on Tools>Auto Adjustment and somehow the screen is magically fitted in place. But as soon as the monitor is switched off or I switch to a different channel on the TV, everything goes back as it was, so that is obviously not a fix. I have SwitchResX installed to boost my default resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x768, but the custom resolution settings within SwitchResX don't work for some reason. Maybe I just don't understand them.

Is there any script or something I can run on startup that runs an equivalent to the monitor's Auto-Adjustment? Or is there a way to get SwitchResX's custom resolution settings to work?

Screen positioning is controlled by the monitor firmware itself and is independent of OS X so it is unlikely that you will find something similar in that case. I am just curious what is the model of your monitor? 1280x768 is very low-res to be using as a desktop computer monitor on an LCD these days. Is it possible that you just need to choose a resolution that is native to the panel?

Unfortunately I have no idea what the model is exactly. All I know is that it's 24" , a samsung TV, probably 6 years old, and that it only goes up to 720p. A quick google search pulled up this TV: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0019UP0A0/?tag=tonymacx86-21 . This looks exactly like mine, except mine is older and 720p. I know it's really low, and it's really annoying when I run so many apps as I need to resize them to fit. But, it's the only one I have and I can't afford a new one.

You are right though, I should be using a resolution native to the monitor, something mid-tier to the monitor that also fits well. That's 1024x768 on my machine. By pushing it up to 1280x768 I'm bringing it to it's max. Any more and it starts popping "mode not supported" messages and pulling up a black screen.

This isn't a huge issue, I just assumed since SwitchResX had settings that adjusted the monitor through OS X, then there was a way like SwitchResX. Anyway, thanks so much! I'm gonna try to see if I can reprogram a TV's firmware as a last resort.... may sound crazy, but stranger things have happened!

Why not use 1280x720? If it is a 720p tv then that would be the native resolution.

1280x768 is bigger. I might try 1280x720, but I'm worried it might be unsupported for some stupid reason and SwitchResX automatically locks in a resolution once you choose it. So I will have to do a reinstall if the mode is unsupported... not worth it at all.

1280x768 is bigger. I might try 1280x720, but I'm worried it might be unsupported for some stupid reason and SwitchResX automatically locks in a resolution once you choose it. So I will have to do a reinstall if the mode is unsupported... not worth it at all.

1280x768 is going to result in a distorted image on a 16:9 screen. You also don't need to do a complete reinstall to change resolutions with switchresx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back