Contribute
Register

Automate kext loading on every boot (CATALINA)

Motherboard
L15518-001 L15518-601
CPU
i5 coffee lake
Graphics
Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
Good morning, it's my first post, so sorry if I make a mistake ...
I have managed to activate my WiFi AC 8265 card as indicated in this post: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...l-wifi-drivers-for-7265ac-on-catalina.292208/

My question is if I can automate the kext loading so I don't have to do it manually at every start ... The commands I use are the following:

cd desktop

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelWiFi.kext

sudo kextload AppleIntelWiFi.kext

Thank you!

Motherboard
lenovo
CPU
6300u
Graphics
hd 520
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  • start Automator.app
  • select Application
  • click Show library in the toolbar (if hidden)
  • add Run shell script (from the Actions/Utilities)
  • copy & paste your script into the window
  • test it
  • save somewhere (for example you can make an Applications folder in your HOME, you will get an your_name.app)
  • go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login items
  • add this app
  • test & done ;)
EDIT:

I've recently earned a "Good answer" badge for this answer. While my solution is simple and working, the cleanest way to run any program or shell script at login time is described in @trisweb's answer, unless, you want interactivity.

With automator solution you can do things like next:
automator screenshot login application

so, asking to run a script or quit the app, asking passwords, running other automator workflows at login time, conditionally run applications at login time and so on...

Use this commands in script.

cd desktop

echo 'your mac password here' | sudo -S sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelWiFi.kext

echo 'your mac password here' | sudo -S sudo kextload AppleIntelWiFi.kext

Motherboard
lenovo
CPU
6300u
Graphics
hd 520
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  • start Automator.app
  • select Application
  • click Show library in the toolbar (if hidden)
  • add Run shell script (from the Actions/Utilities)
  • copy & paste your script into the window
  • test it
  • save somewhere (for example you can make an Applications folder in your HOME, you will get an your_name.app)
  • go to System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login items
  • add this app
  • test & done ;)
EDIT:

I've recently earned a "Good answer" badge for this answer. While my solution is simple and working, the cleanest way to run any program or shell script at login time is described in @trisweb's answer, unless, you want interactivity.

With automator solution you can do things like next:
automator screenshot login application

so, asking to run a script or quit the app, asking passwords, running other automator workflows at login time, conditionally run applications at login time and so on...

Use this commands in script.

cd desktop

echo 'your mac password here' | sudo -S sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelWiFi.kext

echo 'your mac password here' | sudo -S sudo kextload AppleIntelWiFi.kext

Rem to to put that app in start up apps to start it automatically when computer boots..

Motherboard
HP 15 cc129tx
CPU
15 8250U
Graphics
uhd 620 - Gtx 940mx
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
My question is if I can automate the kext loading so I don't have to do it manually at every start ... The commands I use are the following:

Well i have the same intel wifi and I was also pretty annoyed with the fact you need to load it on every boot.

I myself found a better way out. I myself put the kext in my efi folder in kext/others and it's works !!.
You can also try this, just remember nott to put it in L/E or S/L/E .