GT240
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Silly question,

Why can't we just install via the app store? IE no xMove etc.

I'm sure there's a probably a really good reason, but yeah if someone could explain it, it would probably help me deal with the headache i'm currently getting.

Cheers,

Chris

Well thankyou captain obvious.

I only ask because we can do minor updates like a real mac, and given that like many I'm not a programmer, I wasn't quite sure on why it wasn't an option.

If anyone has a useful answer, feel free to chime in.

Cheers

Chris

Whenever you run the Lion Installer for the first time, the installation process will set up to boot and start installing the software upon your first boot.

This will be done by the Installer as if your system were a "real mac", and therefore, it won't boot straight out of the installer itself.

xMove I think does some customizations to this installer whenever it installs to the "special" Lion installation partition that you created, so that it can boot on a Hackintosh system.

We're working on it- the issue lies in the fact that Retail installation media is not available yet. Apple is releasing a USB stick next month with which you can install Lion.

Right now with the App and the download only, the current guide is the best we could do- but it's not written in stone- we're going to keep working on new methods. :thumbup:

Short answer: because it's a hackintosh. :D

Come to think of it, even the retail Snow Leopard DVD can't be installed on a non-Apple computer. We need a hack to make it happen.

xMove does an excellent job of "preparing" all that's needed to get the Lion installed, either as a clean install to a new partition, or upgrade your existing Snow Leopard installation.
But of course, the hacking doesn't stop there ... we still need the MultiBeast. :headbang:

All the installation fuss notwithstanding, a hack is still better than a lot of regular macs. I just got through doing a short video on mine, bitching about Lion...

But I was thinking about it this afternoon, the last time I had a machine that was as much better than a PC than my hack is, it was an Apple IIfx versus a crappy-ass 386 running Windows 3.0.

That Apple IIfx was the MacPro of its day. Bad. Ass. $10,000.

I've made a USB Lion install drive using a thumb drive and writing the InstallESD.dmg to it. I used it to upgrade my Macbook without issue.

Is there some reason why I can't use this same USB drive to upgrade my hackintosh without needing xMove? I mean, what exactly is xMove even doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back