Graphics
AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB + Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm looking to build the ultimate Hackintosh for video editing with the newest, most powerful components. When I look at the Golden Builds forum a post from Slugnet appears that is from 09/2012, almost 3 years old! Following the July 2015 Buyer's Guide for CustoMac Pro Socket 2011, this is my current list:

• ASUS Rampage IV Gene
  • Core Xeon-E5-2680 v2 or Core i7-4960X
  • Corsair H60 (Water)
  • EVGA GT 740 SC
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB (8x4)
  • Corsair AX 760 Watt
  • TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter (N)

Where I deviate from the Buyer’s Guide is:
  • 2X OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD run as RAID 0
  • Antec P280

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I'm looking to build the ultimate Hackintosh for video editing with the newest, most powerful components. When I look at the Golden Builds forum a post from Slugnet appears that is from 09/2012, almost 3 years old! Following the July 2015 Buyer's Guide for CustoMac Pro Socket 2011, this is my current list:

• ASUS Rampage IV Gene
  • Core Xeon-E5-2680 v2 or Core i7-4960X
  • Corsair H60 (Water)
  • EVGA GT 740 SC
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 32GB (8x4)
  • Corsair AX 760 Watt
  • TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter (N)

Where I deviate from the Buyer’s Guide is:
  • 2X OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD run as RAID 0
  • Antec P280

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I recommend that you have a full read through the following thread. You will find all the answers that you require and much more:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...-iv-extreme-32gb-ram-gtx-770-4gb-success.html

Links will give correct RAM for this board (via ASUS forums), advice on processor model, graphics and installation.

Its a long thread - but it gives the sort of precise information that you need before embarking on this journey from someone who really knows this hardware and how to get the best out of it.

Also - this may be of some use for you:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/video/

Thank you Adrian for the links to that informative post and the videos forum! :thumbup: I have to admit that I didn't read through the entire thread as it's 155 pages long :eek: I'm just wondering since the build was made in April 2014 a quick bullet list of what users would recommend doing differently as there are surely updates or advances since then...

Thank you Adrian for the links to that informative post and the videos forum! :thumbup: I have to admit that I didn't read through the entire thread as it's 155 pages long :eek:

Its a huge thread and has lots of relevant information all the way through it. The latest Yosemite stuff is going to be in the later pages. If you plan to make your living using this build then reading some background information is handy as it helps build up your knowledge of how some things change over time - it also helps prepare you for future changes, even if they will be different. The onus is on you to build this and keep it running. Apple ain't going to want to know.

I'm just wondering since the build was made in April 2014 a quick bullet list of what users would recommend doing differently as there are surely updates or advances since then...

I wouldn't concern yourself with bullet lists from building in 2014 to 2015. Best to understand what the best hardware is for your purposes - did you find mention of RAM? Do you have suitable graphics for the applications that this machine will run? Did you find further information on running a raid0 setup with OS X?

If you are then happy with your choices then you can start prepping for your build with annotated notes and links to individual thread pages or comments. You should address more specific questions that you might have on the linked or another related thread so those with actual experience in building and running such hardware can assist. :thumbup:

Alright I'll power through it then. What you say makes complete sense :thumbup: I guess using a Mac all these years has made me a bit lazy when it comes to choosing my hardware ;)

A quick summary of points to check against your original listed hardware.

Video editing as its main use. Different apps are optomized with different GPU hardware in OS X. For Adobe use nVidia. If the main use is Final cut pro then even the most expensive nVidia will be slower than most suitable AMD solutions. Your main Apps choice will determine the best graphics options.

Running 2 SSDs in raid. OS X doesn't do hardware raid but can do software raid. Fast when working, but useless when broken. You are probably better to look into PCIe SSD use and check out how this could run on your hardware (motherboard/CPU - can OS X boot from it?)

As with any higher end hardware it is always going to require the correct RAM to run stable.. This is especially important when using hardware and apps that use lots of RAM to their full potential.

Do some research and if you want confirmation that you are on the right lines or unclear about anything then you can always ask on that or a similar thread.

We have all started out with a first build and needed a few pointers along the way. You keep learning stuff (in a good way) using pc hardware to run OS X.

Good luck

Great point about the graphics card. I'll likely go OWC storage as they are designed for the Mac. According to my research, I can get 1350 MB/sec read and 1340 MB/sec write speeds with RAID 0 of 3x OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD's. The OWC Mercury Accelsior looks amazing but actually gets slower read/write speeds (650 MB/sec for both) than SSD's run as a RAID 0, for triple the price.

Likely get OWC ram as well as they're designed for Mac usage, but will look into G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series as well.

I will definitely post what I discover on that thread. Excited to begin in the coming weeks!

Thanks for your generous advice Adrian B!

After much research a few months ago, I found the best card for the money, with regard to Final Cut editing was the AMD 270x. The Bruce X benchmark performance was about 30s, which ranked it quite high compared to several others.

Great point about the graphics card. I'll likely go OWC storage as they are designed for the Mac. According to my research, I can get 1350 MB/sec read and 1340 MB/sec write speeds with RAID 0 of 3x OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD's. The OWC Mercury Accelsior looks amazing but actually gets slower read/write speeds (650 MB/sec for both) than SSD's run as a RAID 0, for triple the price.

I would take advice on running particular OS X orientated hardware on what is principally Windows hardware.

Likely get OWC ram as well as they're designed for Mac usage, but will look into G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series as well.

RAM is designed to work with particular motherboards - the chances of any Apple Mac Pro compatible RAM running on your windows ASUS motherboard properly are slim. Good luck. :thumbup:

After much research a few months ago, I found the best card for the money, with regard to Final Cut editing was the AMD 270x. The Bruce X benchmark performance was about 30s, which ranked it quite high compared to several others.

If you can afford it go with the 280X rather than the 270X. The 280X is faster still. You can also put dual 280X (or dual 270X) cards in later and get even faster render speeds. You cannot mix 270X and 280X cards to get more performance. The 280X performance is approx. the same as a 7970 (the 280X is a little faster) and is about 2x the performance of a 5770.

Choose your 270X or 280X card carefully as there are differences, mainly on the video output options. Some have dual DP or dual DVI. I have twin 280X cards each with dual DVI and it worked out of the box. No special flags were needed for installation and no drivers needed. You do need to do the EFI mod to get the cards to boot. This is 10-15 mins (max) of work and is trivially easy.

I'd also forget about OWC RAM thats 'special' for Macs. You have PC hardware, get the right RAM for the motherboard. Check, check and check again that its exactly the right RAM. Most memory issues are due to people assuming that just because there RAM says (for example), DDR3, 1666Mz CL11-1-2-1 it will work in their motherboard. RAM and motherboards are sensitive, spend the money and get the right RAM and save yourself an enormous headache. Don't skimp here.

Also unless you absolutely need to, dump the wifi as moving video around by wifi is like having teeth pulled with no anaesthetic and without the fun. Video needs 1Gb as a minimum and 10GB is even better (though f£$%^Y$RTYing expensive.

I don't water-cool and use a Noctura cooler. Its cheaper, just as quiet and less chance to go wrong. You have different CPU's though so you may need that.

RAID-0 is brilliant right up to the moment it goes wrong and you lose both your disks. As somebody else has said, don't do that or if you, make sure you spend some money on a decent backup system. Ask yourself the question how long can I afford to be without my system when I need to rebuild, or how much will it cost me to redo all my FCP X edits when a disk throws a wobbly. I use my Mac for development purposes, though not for commercial FCP use, and I have Chronosync doing daily backups, Time Machine for immediate backups (though I don't trust it at all, hence the Chronsync) and replication off to another machine on an daily basis. You have to judge what would happen when things go wrong because they will.

Best wishes,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back