Contribute
Register

Audio was fine in 10.8.3, but slowly begins to static/distort in 10.8.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't do anything for me. Also disabling Flash in Chrome did not solve the issue.

I might be missing something here, so please keep that in mid, but, wouldnt an audio interface provide better quality audio than on board audio? Ive never used "on board" audio myself - I guess in a way using on board audio (perhaps) would be like not using a graphics card and instead using on board/integrated video.

Am I off here ("way off")?

With a pro audio interface youd get better AD/DA conversion (if you ever were to record something - your voice, a guitar, a band, etc), more options for audio in and out, and I would think (hope) all around better/higher quality audio.

I am a noob, but do understand the basic principles of digital audio and recording.

Please feel free to school me on this one... if need be Id appreciate it! :thumbup:

And yes I do understand part of the fun is getting your entire system to run on OSX. So If that is the point forgive me. Although for me an audio interface would seem like an easier and better way to go about it. Although Ive never built a Hackintosh (yet), so when I do I hope Im right! :crazy: :p

I might be missing something here, so please keep that in mid, but, wouldnt an audio interface provide better quality audio than on board audio? Ive never used "on board" audio myself - I guess in a way using on board audio (perhaps) would be like not using a graphics card and instead using on board/integrated video.

With a pro audio interface youd get better AD/DA conversion (if you ever were to record something - your voice, a guitar, a band, etc), more options for audio in and out, and I would think (hope) all around better/higher quality audio.

I am a noob, but do understand the basic principles of digital audio and recording...

A Pro Audio interface would of course sound better, just like a good quality graphics card would beat Intel internal graphics but a lot of people do not intend on recording any audio which is where a Pro Audio interface excels.

A lot of users do not need a Pro or Consumer grade audio interface because it would be considered overkill for their main use i.e, playback of audio and video.

Even the audiophile among us can get great quality audio quality with Realtek (especially via S/PDIF) as long as they have a decent set of speakers or headphones.

Internal audio is ideal for video chat where your webcam and built in monitor speakers will do that job fine

Remember that you can also configure OSX to use internal Realtek Audio some things, e.g, video chat, internet and your Audio Interface for other things like e.g, iTunes, DAW recording/plaback so you can have the best of both worlds.

Remember that you can also configure OSX to use internal Realtek Audio some things, e.g, video chat, internet and your Audio Interface for other things like e.g, iTunes, DAW recording/plaback so you can have the best of both worlds.

Nice, I didnt know that. Thank you!

Nice, I didnt know that. Thank you!

i'm sorry but i've just realised that i have been a bit misleading with my advice

you CAN can use both Realtek onboard audio and an external Audio Interface together in OSX.

Although you can route a the I/O's of mosts DAWs to ANY audio in or out on your onboard audio interface or External Audio interface, you probably CANNOT route other applications like iTunes and the Internet to a specific device.

You could however plug in a webcam, USB mic and an external audio interface and configure them in Audio MIDI setup (found in Utilities) to output to the desired location e.g, some going to onboard audio and some going to external audio. In addition to this you could also direct things like OSX sound affects to any desired output ;)

Nice, thank you for clarifying, much appreciated! Sounds good!

I am a noob, but do understand the basic principles of digital audio and recording.

Please feel free to school me on this one... if need be Id appreciate it! :thumbup:

And yes I do understand part of the fun is getting your entire system to run on OSX. So If that is the point forgive me. Although for me an audio interface would seem like an easier and better way to go about it. Although Ive never built a Hackintosh (yet), so when I do I hope Im right! :crazy: :p

A pro audio card would solve the issue, but seeing as I am not an audio professional (nor am I doing any audio-sensitive tasks), I'd like to not have to shell out the money for a card when I have integrated that works perfectly fine (at least in windows)...

Anyway -- anyone figure out how to fix this? I definitely think it boils down to a flash and/or Chrome issue; I only notice the problem when a Flash element is open. If a youtube video is paused in the background, and I try and play a VLC video, the audio horribly distorts but once I close chrome/flash, the VLC video plays without a hitch.

Any ideas? I tried disabling Flash in Chrome and using the HTML5 video player on youtube and strangely enough that didn't help very much.

A pro audio card would solve the issue, but seeing as I am not an audio professional (nor am I doing any audio-sensitive tasks), I'd like to not have to shell out the money for a card when I have integrated that works perfectly fine (at least in windows)...

I hear you, certainly makes sense. I hope your audio is up and running soon. :thumbup:

I experienced distorted audio as well after updating to 10.8.5, using the latest Multibeast 5.5.3 audio driver. After a quick search I found out the switching from the front to the rear audio port will 'cure' the problem. In fact the audio output is not distored any more but it is just a workaround.

That worked for me on Maverick :)

EDIT: no for long... I have statics and distored sound with jack and usb device :(

Hi All -

Go into Audio MIDI Setup, and change your output sampling rate to 48kHz or 96kHz.
That should solve your problem. If one doesn't work, try the other.

/ gx

Bump!!

This issue is SO frustrating! I've had beautiful sound in SL, Lion and ML, in every version until 10.8.4 my audio was flawless.

He is another thread where I detail my issue further http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-support/112698-sound-progressively-gets-worse.html

The scapegoats seem to be chrome, and flash. But I've experienced this issue using chrome AND iTunes. The main culprit seems to be; as you can see the pattern in every one of these threads, is that everyone complaining about sound issues is running on a Z77 motherboard.

Am I mistaken, or is that the constant variable in everyone's sound distortion issues. I bought the exact same Z77 board that TonyMac had last year, figuring it would therefore see the most support. I would LOVE to figure this issue out, as it's drove me nuts for months, and a completely fresh system install seems to have only temporarily subsided the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back