Contribute
Register

Audio was fine in 10.8.3, but slowly begins to static/distort in 10.8.5?

Motherboard
Gigabyte UP5-TH
CPU
Graphics
ATI 7950
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hello,

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP5-TH (F11 BIOS)
CPU: i7 3770k
Audio chip: Realtek 898 Onboard

My audio worked fine in 10.8.3 but after I updated to 10.8.5 and reinstalled the 898 drivers with Multibeast, the audio is having issues. I listen with headphones, and the audio will be fine at first but after a minute or two of listening, it slowly begins to become distorted/static until it's unintelligible. Switching Audio Output to another port and back seems to fix it for a few moments, before it begins to become distorted again.

How can I fix this? I have not noticed the same behavior with speakers, just with headphones (even when I plug the heaphones into the port the speakers use). The headphones work fine elsewhere.

Thanks!

Motherboard
best
CPU
i5 2570k
Graphics
nvidia gtx 660 ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I also have this problem on my MSI MPower Z77.

Motherboard
ASUS Z87 Maximus VI Formula
CPU
Intel i5 4690K
Graphics
GTX 970 Strix
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yep same with me too using ALC892 drivers. I initially thought it was my speakers tried some spare ones had same problem, In windows everything works perfectly.... Tried reinstalling ML the issue still exists!

Anyone have a work around or update as to whats happening?

Thanks,

P1LGRIM

Motherboard
Lenovo ThinkStation p300 ⌘
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Are you using Chrome ?

Motherboard
ASUS Z87 Maximus VI Formula
CPU
Intel i5 4690K
Graphics
GTX 970 Strix
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Are you using Chrome ?

Ha! Yes I am and have just found another post saying to disable the flash plug in, I've just done it and the static seems to have stopped almost like magic!

I will update if the static comes back :) but so far this seems to be the reason!

Motherboard
best
CPU
i5 2570k
Graphics
nvidia gtx 660 ti
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Are you using Chrome ?

The problem is system wide for me. In Chrome, VLC, Garagebad... It worked fine in previous 10.8 versions.

Motherboard
Gigabyte UP5-TH
CPU
Graphics
ATI 7950
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Are you using Chrome ?

I am using Chrome.. Is there a compatibility issue with Chrome's Flash plugin and OSX? Should I install the flash version from Adobe's website and disable the one bundled with Chrome?

I've just disabled Flash for the time being, although I recall the issue happening in other applications (VLC) -- but then again, I likely had Chrome open and minimized to the dock.

Anyone else found a fix?

Motherboard
ASUS Prima Z390-A
CPU
i5-9600K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
I experienced distorted audio as well after updating to 10.8.5, using the latest Multibeast 5.5.3 audio driver. After a quick search I found out the switching from the front to the rear audio port will 'cure' the problem. In fact the audio output is not distored any more but it is just a workaround.

Motherboard
GA-Z77-UP4-TH
CPU
i7 3770k
Graphics
Nvidia GTX650ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Same problem here, but it is related to chrome, all other audio works ok...

Motherboard
Gigabyte UP5-TH
CPU
Graphics
ATI 7950
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I experienced distorted audio as well after updating to 10.8.5, using the latest Multibeast 5.5.3 audio driver. After a quick search I found out the switching from the front to the rear audio port will 'cure' the problem. In fact the audio output is not distored any more but it is just a workaround.

This doesn't do anything for me. Also disabling Flash in Chrome did not solve the issue.