1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Afternoon,

Currently researching components to build an audio/video production rig to move on from my 2014 15" rMBP.

An Apollo Twin is going to be utilized, so Thunderbolt support is a must.

Part List:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive x2
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x4
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Initially the video card will not be installed as I want to have it stable with the onboard video, and the 4 Barracuda drives are for RAID 10 once stable.

Currently owned monitor is a Samsung 28" 4k, and either Noctua or BitFenix fans will be used.

macOS Sierra and Windows 10 will be on the separate SSDs, and initially the Windows side will be used to update hardware firmware.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. I lurked here for a while to try and get an AMD FX8350 + ATI R9 280x up and running. Which I was able to after seeing kext files and flags in my sleep.

Regards,

I lurked here for a while to try and get an AMD FX8350 + ATI R9 280x up and running. Which I was able to after seeing kext files and flags in my sleep.

Now you know why we don't bother trying to support AMD CPU systems. The amount of work it takes to get one running is much greater than simply using the same Intel chips that Apple does, for a CustoMac. Why aren't you using the R9 280X in this build ? It will work better for FCP X than the 960 will.

Now you know why we don't bother trying to support AMD CPU systems. The amount of work it takes to get one running is much greater than simply using the same Intel chips that Apple does, for a CustoMac. Why aren't you using the R9 280X in this build ? It will work better for FCP X than the 960 will.

It's not in the purchase order actually. Was still debating as I really enjoyed my R9 280x, but that rig was given to my Brother In Law (was my old gaming rig). Interestingly enough it was for Video-editing and gaming lol

How much of a difference in FCPX will I really see with AMD over NVIDIA? I wonder if it'll be worth the Sleep from Wake issues on AMD in Sierra..

So the motherboard is currently hanging me up (about to pull the trigger on all the parts, with a RX 480 for FCPX).

Currently finding a Gigabyte board with Thunderbolt 2/3 support seems to be a struggle, though I'm sure someone will respond going "so here's 10seconds of searching". I know ASUS (who I've always used with gaming builds) has a Thunderbolt PCI Expressed card, does this function well in the Mackintosh environment?

Any thoughts on motherboards w/ or w/o add-on cards so our Apollo Twin can be hooked up successfully via Thunderbolt?

All guidance is greatly appreciated :)

Try searching for Gigabyte Designare and read the results some have had with TB 3 to TB2 adapters.

How much of a difference in FCPX will I really see with AMD over NVIDIA? I wonder if it'll be worth the Sleep from Wake issues on AMD in Sierra..

You will see a big difference with a 280X vs a 960. The BruceX benchmarks should be taken with a pinch of salt, but a 280X should be around 18-20 secs (possibly faster) and and a 960 around 30-35 secs.

Rob

So here's where I'm at with the build..

PSU was DOA, so it's being RMA'd. Replaced it (Corsair RMx 1000W), with a Corsair RMx 750W from Best Buy.

Updated Thunderbolt FW via Windows successfully. When headphones are plugged into the 3.5mm front case input I am able to hear an audible sound when moving the mouse, or pressing keys. The same sound would come from the newer PSU as well. This sound is exacerbated when the studio monitors (speakers) are connected via Thunderbolt.

Replaced the PSU, and also acquired a wired keyboard & Mouse. Issue is less noticeable, and today the components will be placed back in the case and tested with the studio monitors.

Reading through reviews on Gigabyte boards I am a bit let down that a company which is touting ZOMG LIEK GREAT AUDIO!!! has several reviews referring to EMI issues, or random line noise, etc.

I feel this is what I get for not going the ASUS route as I always do with my PC builds. Perhaps I should look into an ASUS board I like (and is recommended), and grab the ASUS ThunderboltEX3 Expansion Card?

le sigh

Pay attention to the way everything is plugged into the mains/earthed. My GB boards have been dead silent, even when using the builtin audio for shits & giggles.
The in/outputs of my (FW) Metric Halo ULN-8 are totally clean(except from some interference from Turkish radio via the high impedance DI inputs of my ULN with the wrong kind of cable, but that's totally unrelated to the computer)

When headphones are plugged into the 3.5mm front case input I am able to hear an audible sound when moving the mouse, or pressing keys. The same sound would come from the newer PSU as well. This sound is exacerbated when the studio monitors (speakers) are connected via Thunderbolt.

The jack on the front of the case could have something to do with this. Try plugging the headphones into the audio out jack on the rear I/O panel and see if the same thing happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back