Contribute
Register

Audio Production Rig + Final Cut Pro X Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pay attention to the way everything is plugged into the mains/earthed. My GB boards have been dead silent, even when using the builtin audio for shits & giggles.
The in/outputs of my (FW) Metric Halo ULN-8 are totally clean(except from some interference from Turkish radio via the high impedance DI inputs of my ULN with the wrong kind of cable, but that's totally unrelated to the computer)

With the second PSU (noisy guy), I had everything on board disconnected, except the obvious power needed and USB. Issue persisted on front and rear USB, and would sound through the PSU.

The latest involved the third PSU (quiet) with everything breadboxed, and this afternoon I'll try the studio monitors attached via Thunderbolt.

The jack on the front of the case could have something to do with this. Try plugging the headphones into the audio out jack on the rear I/O panel and see if the same thing happens.

Issue does not persist thru the I/O panel, however the studio monitors are through the the Apollo interface witch has the same issue via Thunderbolt.

I said: Pay attention to the way everything is plugged into the mains/earthed.

I mean the whole chain, computer, interface, speakers. Connect everything to the same earthed outlet.

I said: Pay attention to the way everything is plugged into the mains/earthed.

I mean the whole chain, computer, interface, speakers. Connect everything to the same earthed outlet.

I have tried various outlets. I quoted you by mistake when replying on my phone.

So I now have an ASUS Z170-Pro MB in the machine. No crackling over 3.5mm front panel or rear output. However, crackling persists on Thunderbolt monitors thru Apollo Thunderbolt interface connected to ASUS Thunderboltex 3 card.

Tomorrow will be more troubleshooting.

Edit: I'm using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adapter, perhaps a Startech one would be more appropriate?

Last edited:
So I now have an ASUS Z170-Pro MB in the machine. No crackling over 3.5mm front panel or rear output. However, crackling persists on Thunderbolt monitors thru Apollo Thunderbolt interface connected to ASUS Thunderboltex 3 card.

Tomorrow will be more troubleshooting.

Edit: I'm using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 Adapter, perhaps a Startech one would be more appropriate?

The second bit of interference was coming from the line-selector we had between the interface and the studio monitors. Removing that resolved the issue, and the Thunderbolt monitors are functional with no crackling in Windows. Currently with the Mac side I am dealing with Prohibitory signs on boot from the USB and/or the drive post installation. I'll be starting from scratch this afternoon, and being much more methodical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back