Contribute
Register

Audio problems with ALC282

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 14R 5421 (Clover)
CPU
3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3517U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz) (opt)
Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (for 3rd Gen Intel® CoreTM i3, i5, i7 processors) + NVIDIA® GeForce® GT640M
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everybody,
I've recently finished my hackintosh installation on my Dell Inspiron 14r 5421. I've got almost everything working. The only thing that still needs to be fixed is the audio that still have some problems. The audio codec being used in this model is the ALC282. For the AppleHDA patching I used the AppleHDA Patcher app by Mirone and Micky1979 (recommended by a guide I've found here somewhere) selecting the ALC282 v1 patch (v2 didn't work right for me) and using: AppleHDA.kext + HDAEnabler.kext + Audio DSDT patch + codeccommander.kext and the had-verb in /usr/bin. The problems I still have are the internal speaker volume being so low in comparison to Windows (in the lowest volume you can't really hear anything), the internal mic capture volume being so loud and noise (I had to almost mute it in settings to get a more or less good recording and the volume being mute after the computer awake from sleep (I have to manually turn up the volume to fix this).
Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• problem_reporting .zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 108
Hello everybody,
I've recently finished my hackintosh installation on my Dell Inspiron 14r 5421. I've got almost everything working. The only thing that still needs to be fixed is the audio that still have some problems. The audio codec being used in this model is the ALC282. For the AppleHDA patching I used the AppleHDA Patcher app by Mirone and Micky1979 (recommended by a guide I've found here somewhere) selecting the ALC282 v1 patch (v2 didn't work right for me) and using: AppleHDA.kext + HDAEnabler.kext + Audio DSDT patch + codeccommander.kext and the had-verb in /usr/bin. The problems I still have are the internal speaker volume being so low in comparison to Windows (in the lowest volume you can't really hear anything), the internal mic capture volume being so loud and noise (I had to almost mute it in settings to get a more or less good recording and the volume being mute after the computer awake from sleep (I have to manually turn up the volume to fix this).
Any help will be appreciated.
I don't know if I have the same issue, but I'm pretty sure I do. I'm on a HP 250 G5 with the same codec and I used the same patch. Audio works fine including headphone jack detection but the speakers sound very low. Mic is also working but again, I have to turn the gain or input level down to avoid distortion. I haven't tried AppleALC.kext yet because I use an external sound card from my Traktor controller so I'm not worried about onboard audio too much.

I don't know if I have the same issue, but I'm pretty sure I do. I'm on a HP 250 G5 with the same codec and I used the same patch. Audio works fine including headphone jack detection but the speakers sound very low. Mic is also working but again, I have to turn the gain or input level down to avoid distortion. I haven't tried AppleALC.kext yet because I use an external sound card from my Traktor controller so I'm not worried about onboard audio too much.
The issue is probably the same. Lets hope somebody can help us out with this. I remember to get it better on Mavericks with a edit on the audio and MIDI settings. But I don't remember what I did...

Try to do a codec dump on Linux (ubuntu or whatever you prefer) and upload it here, i will give it a try when i have time for it and patch it for you then you can do some testing.
Im new at this so don't expect me to be able to fix your issue for sure since im new into this, but trying won't hurt, end result:
- Possible fix for you
- Learning/practicing/testing opportunity for me

Try to do a codec dump on Linux (ubuntu or whatever you prefer) and upload it here, i will give it a try when i have time for it and patch it for you then you can do some testing.
Im new at this so don't expect me to be able to fix your issue for sure since im new into this, but trying won't hurt, end result:
- Possible fix for you
- Learning/practicing/testing opportunity for me
Sure you can try. I was trying to patch it form myself before I found that pacther app. I don't mind if it doesn't fix my issue. Here is the dump made on ubuntu 17.10. I will also attach a "analyzed codec" file that I did extracting some of the codec info (like the verb data) from the linux dump that you can use if you think it's going to help you.

Attachments

• codec_dump.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 241
  • Analyzed codecs.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 251
Sure you can try. I was trying to patch it form myself before I found that pacther app. I don't mind if it doesn't fix my issue. Here is the dump made on ubuntu 17.10. I will also attach a "analyzed codec" file that I did extracting some of the codec info (like the verb data) from the linux dump that you can use if you think it's going to help you.
Got the dump and i will start working on it.

@OPAEU Here is the Audio Injector that i created for ALC3221(282) - i attached all the needed files:
First of all remove HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext from system/library/extensions
(since you are using a patched AppleHDA) & replace it with Vanilla AppleHDA that i attached from High Sierra 10.13.2)
copy the ALC3221.kext & AppleHDA.kext into desktop and open terminal and enter command:
Code:
cd desktop
sudo cp -R ALC3221.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
After that you want to rebuild caches with this next command:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
Now mount your EFI partition and go to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and copy SSDT-HDEF that i attached.
Open config.plist with your favorite plist editor (PlistEditPro or if you use Clover Configurator, your choice).
and copy these 3 patches that i added for Audio into config.plist /KernelAndKextPatches/KextstoPatch/ (if using PlistEditPro):
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>

<dict>

<key>KextsToPatch</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Zeroing 1983 codec </string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

gxnUEQ==

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<string>AppleHDA</string>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

AAAAAA==

</data>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Zeroing 885 codec </string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

hQjsEA==

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

AAAAAA==

</data>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Patching 1984 with 10ec0282 codec</string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

hBnUEQ==

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

ggLsEA==

</data>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>
Which i also attached below to copy paste (config-patches.plist).

or with picture:

PlistEditPro.png

or if you use clover configurator:

Clover Configurator.png

Save the changes into your config.plist

Reboot and test All Inputs and Outputs.

Report back with results.

Attachments

• Audio.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 242
@OPAEU Here is the Audio Injector that i created for ALC3221(282) - i attached all the needed files:
First of all remove HDAEnabler.kext and AppleHDA.kext from system/library/extensions
(since you are using a patched AppleHDA) & replace it with Vanilla AppleHDA that i attached from High Sierra 10.13.2)
copy the ALC3221.kext & AppleHDA.kext into desktop and open terminal and enter command:
Code:
cd desktop
sudo cp -R ALC3221.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo cp -R AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/
After that you want to rebuild caches with this next command:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /
Now mount your EFI partition and go to EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched and copy SSDT-HDEF that i attached.
Open config.plist with your favorite plist editor (PlistEditPro or if you use Clover Configurator, your choice).
and copy these 3 patches that i added for Audio into config.plist /KernelAndKextPatches/KextstoPatch/ (if using PlistEditPro):
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>KernelAndKextPatches</key>

<dict>

<key>KextsToPatch</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Zeroing 1983 codec </string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

gxnUEQ==

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

AAAAAA==

</data>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Zeroing 885 codec </string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

hQjsEA==

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

AAAAAA==

</data>

</dict>

<dict>

<key>Comment</key>

<string>Patching 1984 with 10ec0282 codec</string>

<key>Find</key>

<data>

hBnUEQ==

</data>

<key>Name</key>

<key>Replace</key>

<data>

ggLsEA==

</data>

</dict>

</array>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>
Which i also attached below to copy paste (config-patches.plist).

or with picture:

View attachment 304188

or if you use clover configurator:

View attachment 304189

Save the changes into your config.plist

Reboot and test All Inputs and Outputs.

Report back with results.
Ok. Thank you so much. I will reinstall macOS here to have a full vanila system (clear of audio mods). Then, I will use your patch and send you the reports tomorrow.

@Sniki Sorry for the delayed reply. I've followed your instructions and got all of the input and output options working just fine. However the audio output from the speakers seems even lower than it was with the other patches. And the mic is still noise and loud. I guess it is the best you can get with this codec on macOS with this codec.

@Sniki Sorry for the delayed reply. I've followed your instructions and got all of the input and output options working just fine. However the audio output from the speakers seems even lower than it was with the other patches. And the mic is still noise and loud. I guess it is the best you can get with this codec on macOS with this codec.
Well we can adjust some of that.
I think Mic volume can be adjusted with signal processing and other elements. So we can lower it.
Do you get the ambient noise reduction option on sysprefs>sound>inputs

So which patch were you previously using so i can check volume stuff and adjust it for speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back