CPU
i5-6800K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am currently experiencing a persistent issue with Logic Pro X and my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB audio interface.

Some details about my setup:
  • Using Clover EFI running 10.10.5
  • Using Logic Pro X 10.2
  • Initially setup my Mackintosh with Multibeast before converting over to Clover UEFI

When using Logic Pro X everything load as expected and audio begins to play, however after about 30 seconds the audio begins to 'degrade' and become progressively more distorted. At this stage the only fix I have found is to open Utilities/Audio Midi Setup panel and toggle the 'Clock Source' dialogue for the Scarlett 18i8 from 'Internal' to another option and back again. This resets the issue and I get another few minutes without the problem resurfaces.

I have tried a bunch of things that I have found on these forums including:-
  • Ensuring the latest Apple HDA.kext is installed
  • Trying the VoodooHDA.kext as an alternative
  • Reinstalling Logic
  • As the issue seems related to the internal clock speed I have have checked that the correct clock speed (4GHz) is displaying in the System Report.

At this stage nothing seems to fix the problem in a lasting way. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and apologies in advance if this issue has been addressed before - I am quite new to Hackintosh.

Hmm.. I am running your same interface on my pro tools machine with no issues.. Are you plugged into a USB 2 or 3 port? Tried different ports?? You can grab another DAW to try. Most have trial periods to see if its something funky in logic..

Can you play other audio sources through your focusrite? Itunes, etc..

-D

I have the same problem using Scarlett 6i6!!

But, for me it's not only in Logic, it's just happens faster in Logic.

What I found:
once the noise starts, if I stop all sounds and wait about a minute or two the noise is gone.
Changing the sample rate also stops the noise, until it comes back again.

I dual booted into Windows 10 and there's no noise.

Any ideas what can cause this? I've tried all USB ports..

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply, brado32.

I have tried swapping the USB ports. They're all USB3 so I don't think if I can test to see if this is the issue.

Audio plays fine through iTunes and the Scarlett.

Also tried Abelton Live Suite and from the short test I've done it works like a dream. Definitely looking like something to do with Logic Pro X.

Any suggestions to settings, kext, Multicast setting etc. to clear the issue? It's a really strange one as it seems to happen less frequently the longer you have the application offer.

I'm also having issues with a 6i6.
I've found that any audio from any source(iTunes, spotify, youtube, logic) eventually degrades. It happens quickly when set to 96kHz in the audio midi setup or Mixcontrol app, and more slowly when set to 44.1kHz.
The audio sounds like its slowly drifting out of sync, and I've also noticed that I can immediately stop this by reseting the sync source for the 6i6 in the Mixcontrol app.
So something appears to be causing Yosemite to drop sync data while audio is playing, causing the degrading audio issue.

It's good to know that it's not just me...

I agree - definitely something with the clock sync, but it's really strange that it does't happen with Ableton. I have also used the interface with Logic Pro X on a 'real' iMac and there are no problems at all.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? It's not related to the issues with audio after sleep?

after about 30 seconds the audio begins to 'degrade' and become progressively more distorted. At this stage the only fix I have found is to open Utilities/Audio Midi Setup panel and toggle the 'Clock Source' dialogue for the Scarlett 18i8 from 'Internal' to another option and back again. This resets the issue and I get another few minutes without the problem resurfaces.

Exactly the same issue here, Clover EFI running 10.10.5, but with internal 1150 audio. Not logic related, but any audio from any source.

I´m describing the problem here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/143750-no-sound-realtek-alc-applehda-guide-63.html#post1098371

EDIT: Solved!!!!!!
Found the culprit!!!!! Read the topic linked above.

Exactly the same issue here, Clover EFI running 10.10.5, but with internal 1150 audio. Not logic related, but any audio from any source.

I´m describing the problem here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/143750-no-sound-realtek-alc-applehda-guide-63.html#post1098371

EDIT: Solved!!!!!!
Found the culprit!!!!! Read the topic linked above.

Thanks for the post, mate.

Had a look at the CPU frequency setting in the config.plist in the Clover Configurator - all the fields were already blank. Is this what you're talking about?

I also tried manually entering the CPU's frequency as '4,000' to try and resolve the issue, but no luck - Still getting the distortion. I am pretty confident that it's something to do with the clock speed, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back