Contribute
Register

Audio DAW optimisation question..anyone audiogeeks here ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
I7-2600
Graphics
Nvidia GT 210
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I do mostly audio production stuff on my HT.
I work with Studio One, Protools 10 and Ableton live.
Now i understood that these programs are multithreaded programs, so the more cores on CPU, the more resources these programs have and the better they work. (using more plugins and audiotracks)

Now i also read that things like Speedstep, Turbo and c-p states should be all OFF ideally for these programs, cause when on, there is too much waiting for the cores during switching to other states or turbo level.

Please correct me if i am totally wrong about all this ..

Now i want to know if you audiogeeks indeed get more juize out of these programs by putting Turbo, P-C states and Speedstep completely off and how to do that.
Can this heart my cpu ?

BTW: I am thinking of OC-ing my CPU to a gentle 4.0 GHZ at first, before doing other audio optimisation stuff like asked.

Best,

Rob.

I have built more than 15 rigs this year for audio guys in LA and I can tell you that when OCing, you want to use power (and longevity) saving utilites. You will not see a performance difference with any of the settings you mentioned, but you will see cooler temps at idle and your system will live longer.

I have tried geekbenching with many of those settings on and off because I was curious about the same thing, and the difference is marginal in terms of performance, well worth the cooler temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back