2x r9 280x
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello

I want to make my first project for audio.

I know that most of the users suggest to go with ivy bridge, but as i think thit will strip down the OS only to go with Mountain Lion.

And this is my real problem - i got EMU 0202 USB audio interface - i found on the net that there are problems with this interface in ML (due to lack of the new drivers). On other boards i have also found news that Logic got GUI problems in Mountain Lion, and Ableton (that i want to use on this build) got also some problems in ML (glitches, GUI lag etc).

I know that there will be no new driver for EMU 0202 USB (and this is why i will never choose emu products any more - i was waiting over year for a drivers for win 7, that are now only betas).

So think i got two ways to go:

1) stay with Snow Leopard (that is still avaible in amazon? i heard that it is not avaible any more in mac store - can any one confirm it? where i can get one copy?) then i can update SL to Lion.
With the build : sandy bridge -
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (or GA-Z68X-UD3, GA-Z68XP-UD4, GA-z68XP-UD3 - wich will be the best in your opinion? want to got sleep etc)
;
2700K (i want to got option to overclock it, so need to have motherboard that will allow it);
HD6850 (or HD6870);
Corsair 16GB 1600 mhz;
Bluetooth Adapter (dont know which to choose);
Wificard TP-Link (TL-WDN4800);
a pci firewire card (for the future if will want to change audio interface from usb to firewire - dont know which will work, but ive heard that there is a problem with firewire in mobo)

2) risk and go with make ivy bridge-Mountain Lion
The build:
GA-Z77X-UD5H or GA-Z77-DS3H (preferred UD5H - for the future oc of the cpu - on ds3h as ive read there is a lack of the vcore change)
3770k (or 3570k) - want to overclock;
no graphic card (i will stay with HD4000);
Corsair 16GB 1600 mhz;
Bluetooth adapter, wificard, firewire like on 1) build

Something inside tell me to go with the Sandy Bridge build (and Snow leopard) - the "power" of that machine will be sufficient for my needs, and could be less problematic to use with DAW programs.

PS. There will be no problems with icloud account etc with hackintosh?

How patient are you?

If I was you I would go Lion and just wait for ableton and logic etc to fix the ML problems... Lion is very stable...

I am building a pure Audio Build so stay tuned, however by that time you may already have yours and all that... However mine will work...

I am part in part out on the process of completing build... Biggest issue for me is the gfx card...

well my patience is wearing thin, i was having problems with win 7, then with emu - i want to have hardware that will work - not that will wait for fix etc.

First problem there is that silly audio interface thing you got man...

Is building a hackintosh going to fix these problems?

Is this the right thing for you?

You should get another audio interface/card... what do you need to be doing?

Ive tested it with my friends mbp, there was no problem.

I need asio (latency of midi keyboard), and emu 0202 usb got great/good quality of the sound.

From the other side i can change it but... There is any pci audio interface that we know that will work without problem in hackintosh? Or there is also way to go with the firewire interface...

You got any recomendation of the audio interface? Audiophile 2496/192?

I think that audiophile 2496 could meet my needs :) (dont need 192khz) it also got asio2.

Edit: found that audiophile 2496 and 192 are not supported :( from other side ive found info that with emu 0202 usb there was only problem with usb conflict in ML (10.7 worked perfectly)

well you dont need to have ASIO thats the thing...
if you have mac you wont be having ASIO remember that...

do you need 192khz?

Im asking what you exactly want and need to do with your audio work... then I can help you...

Why was windows 7 having problems for you? Because ASIO is windows... and with 7 you should be sweet...

tell me all problems and I can help you...

What is your budget for spending on an interface/card?

I dont need 192.

I am working with ableton (tracks, mixes - using vst and samples) dont need recording. Sometimes i edit audios recorded with external device.

In windows i got a lot problems with ableton (but it is because lack of cpu power, got t9600 with 8gb ram - and with some projects it gets "heavy" -glitches etc- got some spikes on latency monitoring, sometimes got even blue screens), i want to try logic and osx - with build of the hackintosh i can always go back to win 7 (or even try dual boot).

Spending on interface - any budget options? :) dont need rme :)
After building hackintosh i plan to borrow logic and test it, if everything is fine i will sell ableton and go for the logic, i got in mind that with going with sandy bridge i could save some cash that i can spend for vst.

Ok well if you are not needing recording and that I dont see why you are going logic for... Logic is a totally different type of program...

The problem you are having is your current build... I have been using windows since the early ableton days and know this program and using it on windows very well...

First ableton has only just became 64bit... Now you may not have 64bit ableton so that 8 gigs of ram is doing nothing...

CPU are the most important things with DAW's,,, ableton for ages has been able to support multi core... You would be best getting a new build...

Now why you want to go to mac i dont know... you are going to have the same equipment in your Tower, wether you make it a mac or a win build...

using a dual boot audio type build is just silly, you will be all over the place trying to create music... keep it as clean as possible trust me...

I asked you what your budget is... if you cannot tell me that I cannot help you with audio cards/interfaces as there is just way too many combinations to start putting things out.. tell me a price and we can make this happen...

Why would you go to logic just to possibly get rid of ableton? If you are well suited to using ableton keep using it, ableton is used by just as many top producers as anyone these days... Also if you just doing tracks and mixes with samples you wont need an audio interface even if you build a good enough computer...

Im using pro tools on a i3 dell with 4 gig and I work with samples and use afew midi controllers, never had 1 problem... So i dont know if you really need to buy an interface the one you have seems fine...

emu 0202 usb - i have just had a look and its working perfectly with snow leopard and lion.... so I guess now its what you really think is the best...

How intensive are your projects? You could even get away with an i3 if you dont pump things too hard...

with dual boot i was thinking about one os for music, one for other things (or just one os for everything) (was using a mbp for a while and loved the os, want to check it - but dont want to spend so much extra for case)

hmm - so if 0202 is working perfectly in lion and snow leopard i need to go with sandy bridge doesnt i?

Budget for new interface - for example under 300$ (but maybe first i will test this emu 0202)

If i will go with sandy bridge i want to max it - so 2700k

Now i think that i will have to dual boot because i got also a adobe photoshop for win :(

And you are 100% right that i need new build, so i need to make sure that it will be good in os x and win :)

Thnx for help

Ok that can be perfect a dual boot OS for that type of wants and needs... I was reading more into the sense of you say wanting to work with audio on your win 7 side and then because logic is only for OSX to be going with that on your other side... However if you want the win 7 for games and other non audio programs, net browsing etc then its perfect.. I just wanted keep it simple for you as this is the safest option in your creativity towards music.

SSD is prob where you want to be looking for audio, SSD big big improvements over the normal HDD's especially considering you are sample based like I work also...
When I put an SSD into a build wow the improvements were just second to none... I think audio is the most needed match out of the design world that benefits from SSD as we are using so many files all at once and all over the place... SSD's are getting really good also now and the prices too... I would suggest either corsair, Intel or the new Samsungs (some great reviews coming back by people on here)...

Don't go any less than I72700k if you have the money to spend on it...

Try the interface out if you can with someone who has snowleopard or lion and get back to me... However from what im reading there is no problem, there are updates and drivers/firmware upgrades avail around the net... Its a very well standard card I dont see why there would be any problems... however we never know these days lol

I would recommend an MBOX for you actually. they are well rounded and offer great builds and specs and even do 192khz...Work on both mac and pc platform... however firewire interface... so you will need to go with a texas instrument firewire chip on your mboard or get a working firewire card... (there will be threads on this forum have a search should find)

For my build I am going Ivy and im using a 6 series gigabyte board... Im certain it works snow leopard and lion however Mountain lion im not too sure yet, I havnt really been paying attention to mountain lion, considering that my DAW and the vsts and other audio programs I use have said to avoid it just now...
With my mboard all I had to do was first update the bios and then get the newer DSDT that was created for it... I recommend you go a gigabyte or an asus...

I can't help you with photoshop side of things however there is talk of the nvidia cards being the best for this... Ask around here im sure you will get your answer..

Goodluck and keep me updated im always keen to hear about what audio builds and hardware software people get working. its my passion and what i do with my life on a daily basis... all the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back