Contribute
Register

Audio: AppleHDA vs VoodooHDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. I'm going to figure out how to set my DVMT to 128mb first and then I'll look into DSDT/SSDT patching.

Thanks for your help.

DVMT-prealloc has nothing to do with audio.

DVMT-prealloc has nothing to do with audio.

You're totally right RehabMan.
I think I didn't explained my whole situation in this thread.

I was leaving DVMT and DSDT at last, as I have other issues (PM, graphics, etc). Now it's the time.
I'll focus on DVMT first and then will move into DSDT/SSDT (now including IRQ for sound patch). Will probably make a new thread with a few questions for the latter.

Sorry for any confusion.

I'm leaving DSDT/SSDT patching for the last step. That includes PM.
I can see from this RehabMan github file that the config.plist fixes a lot of problems.
How does that work? should I replace it instead of the original Clover file? or where do I put it? Does it require other configs like DSDT/SSDT patching?

Thanks for your help HorchaudiBMW

I'm leaving DSDT/SSDT patching for the last step. That includes PM.
I can see from this RehabMan github file that the config.plist fixes a lot of problems.
How does that work? should I replace it instead of the original Clover file? or where do I put it? Does it require other configs like DSDT/SSDT patching?

Thanks for your help HorchaudiBMW
Just replace the config.plist in EFI/Clover with the config.plist file from @RehabMan

For what it is worth...in my opinion regarding Audio functionality specifically with Sierra, the literal quality between VoodooHDA vs. a working patched AppleHDA system set-up is negligible. My experiences have been that while the latest VoodooHDA v2.90 has continued to operate flawlessly throughout each 10.12 incremental update, the various patches for AppleHDA have broken and have required fixes/adjustments during this same period. There seems to be a generally held opinion throughout the community that using the VoodooHDA.kext some how equates to a sub par/sub standard system and is taking the "easy way out". I will always contend that especially in this realm, why spend hours and/or days beating your head against a wall striving to achieve the preferred perfectionist method when alternatively, you can opt to plug something in that just simply works and move on with your life.

My advise...if you install VoodooHDA and from the get go it just simply works, use it and be done with it.

For what it is worth...in my opinion regarding Audio functionality specifically with Sierra, the literal quality between VoodooHDA vs. a working patched AppleHDA system set-up is negligible. My experiences have been that while the latest VoodooHDA v2.90 has continued to operate flawlessly throughout each 10.12 incremental update, the various patches for AppleHDA have broken and have required fixes/adjustments during this same period. There seems to be a generally held opinion throughout the community that using the VoodooHDA.kext some how equates to a sub par/sub standard system and is taking the "easy way out". I will always contend that especially in this realm, why spend hours and/or days beating your head against a wall striving to achieve the preferred perfectionist method when alternatively, you can opt to plug something in that just simply works and move on with your life.

My advise...if you install VoodooHDA and from the get go it just simply works, use it and be done with it.

If you're lucky, VoodooHDA can be like you describe.
Often it crashes/panics or doesn't work properly...

If you're lucky, VoodooHDA can be like you describe.
Often it crashes/panics or doesn't work properly...

Thanks for the comments. I'll make my attempt with DSDT patching soon. I will consider both recommendations and depending on the time & difficulty, I'll opt out for one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back