Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Attempting to install Mojave, system freezes after first reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, I don't remember if you mentioned the brand of RX 560, but I hear XFX ones typically need some additional patches or a firmware reflash or something.

I added the device-id in Devices/Properties and the ig-platform-id in Graphics, but as before, the installation stalls with "About 6 minutes remaining".

My RX 560 is from PowerColor.

I added the device-id in Devices/Properties and the ig-platform-id in Graphics, but as before, the installation stalls with "About 6 minutes remaining".

My RX 560 is from PowerColor.

Try disabling the IGPU in bios and use only the 560. The Powercolor 560 should not need any settings.
After install you can tinker with IGPU.

Last edited:
I tried it with the initial changes you suggested, and I was still unable to complete the installation; however, there was a change in behavior. Instead of stalling with "About 15 minutes remaining" during stage 2 (booting from the SSD), it stalls with "About 6 minutes remaining" during stage 1.

• Boot delay (Stalling) is not necessarily boot failure unless we see No Disk Activity at all by Sight and Sound such as no LED Light flash from the HDD or USB Flash disk or no sound from a Spinning disk (not useful in case of SSD).
  • If you wait for 20-30 minutes and still no evidence of progression , you can try a "Forced Reboot" to CBM screen and see if the Recovery Disk is added to the List of Device icons, which is a sign of progression in Installation and an indication to boot the System Disk to see it will go on to complete installation to "Welcome Screen " and "Language & Region" Selection> "Apple Account>iCloud Setup>System Setup> ....>Desktop>Keyboard Assistant"
Edited to add: For an unusually prolonged install with a Bizarre Error but still ultimately successful Installation ( but on an Older Hardware), check my post:https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...uldnt-be-completed-error.266897/#post-1870973

Last edited:
  • Boot delay (Stalling) is not necessarily boot failure unless we see No Disk Activity at all by Sight and Sound such as no LED Light flash from the HDD or USB Flash disk or no sound from a Spinning disk (not useful in case of SSD).
  • If you wait for 20-30 minutes and still no evidence of progression , you can try a "Forced Reboot" to CBM screen and see if the Recovery Disk is added to the List of Device icons, which is a sign of progression in Installation and an indication to boot the System Disk to see it will go on to complete installation to "Welcome Screen " and "Language & Region" Selection> "Apple Account>iCloud Setup>System Setup> ....>Desktop>Keyboard Assistant"
It is definitely failing to install - there is no disk activity, and the mouse cursor completely stops responding. I've allowed it to remain in this state for hours, with no further progress.

After rebooting there are still no icons in the Clover menu besides the USB installer.

It is definitely failing to install - there is no disk activity, and the mouse cursor completely stops responding. I've allowed it to remain in this state for hours, with no further progress.

After rebooting there are still no icons in the Clover menu besides the USB installer.
  • Do you want to try a different /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI containing different Aptiofix ....efi and see its effect?

• If so, try the attached zip file extracted to replace current drivers64UEFI?

Attachments

• drivers64UEFI.zip
    95.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Do you want to try a different /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI containing different Aptiofix ....efi and see its effect?

• If so, try the attached zip file extracted to replace current drivers64UEFI?

No change in behavior. I'm becoming quite frustrated at this point.

Some additional information as I've experimented - If I format the target SSD as APFS during the installation, it stalls sooner (before the 1st stage is even completed). If I format it as HFS+ it doesn't stall until the second stage. I will try installing on a regular SATA SSD to see if somehow NVMe is the problem.

EDIT: Switching to a SATA SSD instead of NVMe made no difference either.

It has occurred to me that perhaps my motherboard is defective. Since I bought it from Amazon and I'm still within the return window, I'm going to return it for a refund and buy another ASRock Z370M Pro4 instead.

Last edited:
It's been a busy couple of weeks so I haven't had time to work on this until now. But replacing the Gigabyte motherboard with another ASRock Z370M Pro4 made absolutely no difference; the installation is still freezing on the second stage with "13 minutes remaining".

I finally got this system installed, but the methods I had to resort to were not pretty.

What I ended up doing was to clone the SSD of my own machine (which is built around the same motherboard, the ASRock Z370M Pro4) to the new machine's SSD, then edited the config.plist on the new SSD to match the new machine's configuration (including MacMini8,1 SMBIOS instead of iMac18,3).

I still have no idea why I couldn't get through a full installation on the new hardware, but it's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back