Register

ATI Raedeon HD 6870 seen as RaedeonHD NI40 on 10.6.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update!

I removed these lines from the com.apple.boot.plist:

<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>

Restarted and the lag in Starcraft is gone.

Everything still works the same. The reason i did this is that i remember that Noshy said that Chimera already had info on my card, just needed to be pointed to the correct PCIE slot and it seems that is loading whatever proper framebuffer is needed for this card.

Thanks grtitan! Followed everything you said and got rid of the old easy beast setup and went with userdsdt. All works perfectly now! It's weird to play CS:S in Lion lol. Thanks for your help!

You boys n girls be careful with that com.apple.Boot.plist file.

Adding the PCIRootUID = 1 line gave me the white screen of nuttin. I had to boot to single user via the iboot cd to edit the file again.( my radeon 6870 is in slot 0 so I edited the file to show PCIRootUID = 0 . See other post on this thread for the correct tags and syntax for the file))

My 6870 is still seen as RaedeonHD NI40 on 10.6.8 but I am back booting again. Time to update that superduper and time machine backup before I bugger what is a 98% working install. :)

Sorry to hear that dizzy8578, that's why it was told to try it first at chimera login, instead of committing blindly in com.apple.boot.plist.

Now, i had the same problem, of the card no being recognized properly in SL, but is working ok in Lion, so i recommend to just upgrade, if possible.

Hmm, something is not right with the card performance, at least according to Cinebench.

With and without framebuffer the result is 25.72 for OpenGL.
Same computer, but booting in windows 7, the result is 37.49.

Not sure what else needs to be adjusted at this point.

grtitan said:
Hmm, something is not right with the card performance, at least according to Cinebench.

With and without framebuffer the result is 25.72 for OpenGL.
Same computer, but booting in windows 7, the result is 37.49.

Not sure what else needs to be adjusted at this point.

That does seem off if you are running a 6870. For reference, my Cinebench OpenGL rating in OSX with a 6870 is 41.78 FPS.

akasurreal:

I think that the reason your score is so high might be related to a much faster CPU.

I noted that 2 of the 4 cores of my CPU were at 100% during the OpenGL test and it does gives me the impression that the score itself is not an indication of pure OpenGL results.

grtitan said:
akasurreal:

I think that the reason your score is so high might be related to a much faster CPU.

I noted that 2 of the 4 cores of my CPU were at 100% during the OpenGL test and it does gives me the impression that the score itself is not an indication of pure OpenGL results.

Yeah, I just ran it and it did max out 1 CPU core during the test. I will try in Windows in a moment for comparison. It wouldn't completely surprise me if GPU performance is a lot higher in Windows though. Common complaint with OSX.

LOL, yeah, poor OSX.. got a 75 FPS in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back