Contribute
Register

ATI Radeon vs Nvidia GT! Which is the best for 10.8.1 ML?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
CPU
Intel i5-2500K
Graphics
Intel HD3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I've had my hackintosh for a few months now running with just onbridge HD3000 and i finally have a little extra cash and lookin ofr a good graphics card! They no longer have ANY ATI cards in the customac anymore, does this mean they don't work anymore? It seems that all Nvidia are overpriced. Would the ATI radeon 6850 HD work?

What do you need it for?
A GeForce GT 640 works OOB but won't be super fast, so it depends on what you need it for.
The new 600-series works pretty good in general...

Bought an ASUS EAH6850 to replace the Nvidia cards I was using. Everyone keeps saying how the ATI 6 series is so hard to install and how easy the Nvidia cards are. Well, I tried the 550ti , 660ti, 640 and in all cases, there is some or the other issue with OpenGL -550ti being the worst ever! Then there are all the kexts to be edited for OpenCL, AGPM thresholds etc. Installation with all these cards was easy. But the post-installation requires too much effort only to have a card with bad driver support.

Bought the 6850 for less than what I paid for the 550ti, updated my org.chameleon.boot.plist to ATI specs, shut down, plugged in the 6850 and booted up with no problem at all. No kexts need editing, everything runs perfectly where all 3 Nvidia cards were failing. Games, apps, wake from sleep, resolution changes - everything.

Tried the card with an installation. Only thing needed is to rename the ATI6000Controller.kext on the USB install disk in S/L/E to ATI6000Controller.kext.bak, install, copy the kext from USB S/L/E to your desktop and remove .bak extension - so it becomes ATI6000Controller.kext again and install to S/L/E with a DECENT kext app like kextutility and all is peachy!

You cannot go wrong with this card. All ports even work OOB

Edit: In fact, this card is so well supported that you do not even need to add any enablers or personalities in the org.chameleon.boot.plist. The device Id (6739) is already in all the relevant kext plists by default.

Listen to Subxero, they are right! I have the Gigabyte HD6850 working perfectly via displayport on an Asus P6T WS, an old board with a Core I7. Follow what is said about the kext removal by copying to desktop and then re-installing and everything is perfect!

Go for ATI 6870

I have a NVidia 550Ti and this was the only bad choice I made on my hackintosh build.
It freezes 5 times a day, NVidia drivers are buggy, lots of OpenGL Timeouts and screen freezes.
I'm replacing my 550Ti by a 6870 and throwing my Nvidia on a trash can, will never by other Nvidia again.
Alexandre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back