ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I've a very old graphic card - mentioned in the thread title. The installation of HS isn't an issue but when finished my hack is booting fine but after the apple logo I get a black screen.

My question: can it be that my graphic card is too old for HS?

Btw: this card still works with Sierra with no problems at all.

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Try driver rollback from Sierra:

AMDRadeonX3000.kext
AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle
IOAccelerator2D.plugin
IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext

The driver rollback has been successful and I can login to the desktop now. But at the login screen the background is completely in red and not the same blurred as under Sierra. Ok - could life with that :).

But one of the important things doesn't work for 100% - the sleep mode. So, the system does enter the sleep mode and when it wakes up I have again a black screen and the fans running at about 100% speed.

So, what could be the problem here...?

same problem here with ATI Radeon HD 6870
Did you already make the driver rollback? And if yes what are the results on your side?

Hi all,

I've a very old graphic card - mentioned in the thread title. The installation of HS isn't an issue but when finished my hack is booting fine but after the apple logo I get a black screen.

My question: can it be that my graphic card is too old for HS?

Btw: this card still works with Sierra with no problems at all.

Connector frame buffer patching or using lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext is your best bet with AMD graphics and high sierra

Try driver rollback from Sierra:

AMDRadeonX3000.kext
AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle
IOAccelerator2D.plugin
IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext

Driver roll back is always a poor solution that doesn't persist. I am actually surprised to see a Mod suggesting this before other methods. Using Sierra graphics drivers (Metal v1 drivers) on High Sierra which uses Metal v2 is likely to cause very poor performance, or other strange issues. Even though this card in question by the OP doesn't have Metal support. Seems there is a need to have an AMD frame buffer connector patching with Clover Guide thread here at Tonymacx86. Something I been wanting to do but felt it wasn't needed since there are so many resource for this already.

Did you already make the driver rollback? And if yes what are the results on your side?

Yes - did already the driver rollback and I could login to the desktop.

Connector frame buffer patching or using lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext is your best bet with AMD graphics and high sierra

lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext without driver rollback still brings a black screen when booting the system. So, no difference at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back