Not open for further replies.
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
650 ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
Love the Multibeast! Still going crazy about trying to get the resolution something other than the default. Installed SL 10.6.2 through a usb method and can run it perfectly, but can't change the resolution! I've tried different kexts and programs to try to fix it, but I always end up screwing it up. I think that I have installed it like fifty times!

I guess that since I am new to this, I'm just not good at finding the right files to fix it with or something. Things that say they will work just do not work. I'm familiar with most of the tools that people use to fix things, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Seems that most of the Ati support for cards is for the 48XX, which I don't have the money right now to go out and get a new card, and I got this one not too terribly long ago.

Hoping that I can find some help here, haven't posted on the other forums I have seen around, just browsed and tried solutions. But Tony and the community here seem awesome, so I decided to post here. :)

Hmm, this is what it says in my system info. Not sure why it's saying that it is a graphics card that it isn't.

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4890
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9498
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

Did you ever get your card working? I have been trying for a while now on SL 10.6.3, and can't get it to work. I entered in verbose and everything was loading up nicely, but just when I thought it was going to load up to SL, I got a blank(black) screen on my tv. It actually seemed like SL loaded up, just no ouput. I was using an DVI to HDMI cable. I also tried the VGA output, and having both VGA and DVI connected, but still no go.

I may try to install SL 10.6.2 on a seperate partition as a last resort to see if I can get it to work.

Any help would be great.

Hi there,

I have this card as well, and would love to see a solution for getting QE/CI enabled; I'm stuck at the default resolution at the moment. If this helps anyone, I am booting using PC EFI from netkas, an automatically patched DSDT and using DVI out to my monitor. I have no issues apart from the fact that I can't get any res apart from 1024x768 and when I tried to install a program it said that I had 0MB VRAM, even though I don't. I presume that this is due to SL not recognising my card.

In system profiler, I think my card is recognised much the same as superstargoddess's - and I'm sure that it said it had only 256MB VRAM, which is obviously not right :p I'm pretty sure it had the same device ID as well...

If anyone has any luck with this, please post it here! Good luck, guys :)

4650 512MB Fully working 1080 QE/CI. Here's what I did.
Installed via iboot, updated to 10.6.4, etc. Took my devid and venid (0x94981002) and edited ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /S/L/E on my desktop by right clicking kext -> Show Package Contents. Opened Info.plist sudo in terminal and went to IOPCIMatch key and changed the last one to mine. Installed with kext helper and ran kext utility. Reboot. Then I hooked up my moniter via DVI-HDMI converter and HDMI cable. Won't work with just DVI, I got a black screen but the computer was up and running. Hooked up my HDMI cable and BAM! full 1920x1080 QE/CI. :mrgreen: Hope this helps anyone out there with the 4650's.

hi kushninja
can you post how to edit your ati4650 card please
thank

adrianaung said:
hi kushninja
can you post how to edit your ati4650 card please
thank

kushninja said:
edited ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext from /S/L/E on my desktop by right clicking kext -> Show Package Contents. Opened Info.plist sudo in terminal and went to IOPCIMatch key and changed the last one to mine. Installed with kext helper and ran kext utility. Reboot.

Thought it was pretty clear, but no problem, I'll elaborate. Make sure you update to 10.6.4 first.

Open finder and type Command+Shift+g. Now type /System/Library/Extensions and hit enter. Once in that folder type ati to get to the ati kexts quickly. Look for those two kexts from above ^ and drag them to your desktop, it'll copy them there.

Now right click each kext and click 'Show Package Contents', open 'Contents' folder and you'll see info.plist. Double click to open each one in TextEdit. Scroll down to:
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x94901002 0x94881002</string>

It will look similar to this. Now whatever your ven and dev id's are is what you'll change the last one to. Open System Profiler and click on Graphics. Put the two id's together (it will probably be the same as mine) and it should look like this:
<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
<string>0x94901002 0x94981002</string>

Do that for both, save the files, use Kext Helper to install them from the desktop and Kext Utility for repair. Reboot (making sure graphicsenabler=y is set in your com.apple.Boot.plist in /Extra).

Here's the tricky part. It won't work with DVI so I bought a DVI->HDMI adapter. If I just leave the HDMI connected to my monitor I'll get a black screen after boot. I actually had to leave the DVI cable connected on the second port to my monitor but it uses the HDMI to send the signal. o_O Oh well I'm not complaining. I have full res and qe/ci and I was lucky my monitor had both connections.

Instead of buying a new video card I just spent $25 on the adapter and it's all good! I think I covered everything but any questions just ask! Good luck :D

kushninja said:
Here's the tricky part. It won't work with DVI so I bought a DVI->HDMI adapter. If I just leave the HDMI connected to my monitor I'll get a black screen after boot. I actually had to leave the DVI cable connected on the second port to my monitor but it uses the HDMI to send the signal. o_O Oh well I'm not complaining. I have full res and qe/ci and I was lucky my monitor had both connections.

When I read you got it working by hooking both cables up I thought you were crazy. But, it works. I found that switching the cables around I can make the DVI port active (good for me, because my monitor goes blue when the HDMI sleeps, the monitor never shuts off).

But, I've gotta have both cables hooked up, like you said. One is a Dual-link DVI-D (both ends), the other is a DVI-D single link to HDMI connector.

Crazy, but props. I've spent over 10 hours trying to get my eVGA GTS 250 working, but now I have 1080p with qe/ci; I pass the Dashboard, Front Row, and Chess "tests".

Kudos, and thanks for saving me another dozen hours of my life.

Different video card, same solution. It took me about 2 weeks to find out that all I needed was an adapter.

I actually found out because I just left the DVI connected when i hooked up the HDMI cable. I went to take the DVI cable off a couple days later and lost my video.

Let's see how many other cards problems can be solved with something this simple.

I wonder what is allowing the video to work with both cables? :confused:

kushninja said:
I wonder what is allowing the video to work with both cables? :confused:

Beats me. I wonder if it has anything to do with the monitor requirements? I'd be surprised if we both had the same monitor though (I have an Asus VH242H). As much as I wish I knew the "why", I'm just glad it works :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back