Motherboard
Asus Z170 Hero VIII
CPU
i7-6700K OC @4.6GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
I've noticed a few other people with this issue, all seem to have an ATI card. Might be useful to have a thread in which to debug and test.

First off, to those in the know, with a 5870, is the ATI bootloader + GraphicsEnabler=yes necessary, since the card is used in Mac Pro's?

Secondly, for those who get the rather frustrating black screen and 100% fans after using the AnVAL 5.1.3/4 boot file - GraphicsEnabler=yes is the culprit. When booting with -v with GE=n, the kernel will load normally. OS X does not load however (tried PCIRootUID 0/1/2), and hangs when the desktop should kick in.

Setup:

10.6.6, 64bit (slow animations)
Chameleon with ATI Experimental
AnVAL 5.1.4 boot file

XFX 5870 1GB
P8P67 Deluxe (also happened on a GA-P67-UD4)
2600K @ 4.2Ghz
16GB RAM @ 1600Mhz

Anyone had any luck with this issue? It appears it's ATI and AnVAL related.

Mods: is this even a SB issue?

try to boot with Graphic enabler = No

Jajos said:

Thanks for tip, tried that already (stated above).

GE=n will load kernel and whatnot, but it hangs when the desktop usually kicks in, just after the AppleIntel1000e kext does it's thing (and ** DEVICE IN SLOT: SLOT--1 **) appears.

Yoga said:
Jajos said:

GE=n will load kernel and whatnot, but it hangs when the desktop usually kicks in, just after the AppleIntel1000e kext does it's thing (and ** DEVICE IN SLOT: SLOT--1 **) appears.

Sounds like you have ATY_init loaded- boot with iBoot and take a look through your /System/Library/Extensions. Remove if there, rebuild caches, and reboot. Good luck!

tonymacx86 said:
Yoga said:
Jajos said:

Sounds like you have ATY_init loaded- boot with iBoot and take a look through your /System/Library/Extensions. Remove if there, rebuild caches, and reboot. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, but I only used EasyBeast, BridgeHelper and AnVal boot file. No ATY_init kext.

Does AnVAL boot uses UseAtiROM?

I have the same problem as you do, just a black screen and fans at full speed. I've talked to valv and he changed the fb for the 5770 to vervet in an earlier release but it didn't fix the problem. Also I think he won't merge Kabyl's code cause they say it doesn't work for some people :?
In the end the only chameleon branch capable of enabling my 5770 (reference design) is Kabyl's. :headbang:

eMatoS said:
I have the same problem as you do, just a black screen and fans at full speed. I've talked to valv and he changed the fb for the 5770 to vervet in an earlier release but it didn't fix the problem. Also I think he won't merge Kabyl's code cause they say it doesn't work for some people :?
In the end the only chameleon branch capable of enabling my 5770 (reference design) is Kabyl's. :headbang:

ATI Chameleon and Kabyl both work for me, and the card is recognised, but with slow animations. Pain in the backside!

deckard - not sure.

Kabyl's booter works really well on 5870 from what I've read.. Do a search and you will see. You will need to extract a ROM file by using GPU-Z or ATI winflash and renamed it to 1002_6896.rom and put it into /Extra. Then put UseAtiROM in your boot.plist

More detail instruction can be found here but use Kabyl's boot instead:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofive ... 31290.html

deckcard said:
Kabyl's booter works really well on 5870 from what I've read.. Do a search and you will see. You will need to extract a ROM file by using GPU-Z or ATI winflash and renamed it to 1002_6896.rom and put it into /Extra. Then put UseAtiROM in your boot.plist

More detail instruction can be found here but use Kabyl's boot instead:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofive ... 31290.html

Thank you deckcard, although I have already tried this.

I get the ripple effect when adding widgets to the desktop, which I think signifies that quartz is working. The lag seems to be due to 64bit and SB architecture, hence the AnVAL fix. Unfortunately, its the AnVAL fix which doesn't play nice with my GFX card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back