Contribute
Register

ATI/AMD 5xxx 6xxx 7xxx 2xx 3xx Graphics Cards Framebuffer Personalities

Re: ATI/AMD 5xxx & 6xxx Graphics Cards Framebuffer Personalities

i am having the same problem here.. i have ATI 6730m

it shows black screen but the system is still running..

will this work for Radeon mobility??

thx :)

Hallo
how i make it with the ati 6770 HD?
I am lost. could be somebody so friendly to help me.
Thanks

Update on PowerColor 6850 scs3: After reading the tutorial for creating a custom card personality, I decided to try cycling through every possible connection/personality combination and record the results. Having already gone through all personalities for DVI1, I decided to try HDMI (since I am running to an HDTV as my monitor). I guess I got lucky early on, because on my third try, I was able to get the Pithecia framebuffer to load. Unlike Gibba, this works with Lion 10.7.2 kexts, and I get great performance on Steam games, as well as full QE/CI. ioreg | grep aty returns:

| | | | +-o ATY,Pithecia@0 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000281, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (148 ms), retain 7>
| | | | +-o ATY,Pithecia@1 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000282, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (4 ms), retain 7>
| | | | +-o ATY,Pithecia@2 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000283, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (8 ms), retain 7>

Which maybe means only three ports are functioning (?), but at the moment that doesn't bother me since I am only running one monitor. This is, of course, with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, and AtiPorts=4.

randycatanach said:
mahdi0 said:
you need to have GE=yes in order for the frame buffer personalities to load (unlike the suggestion in the first post).

The first post is suggesting GE=No as a separate personality, not suggesting to set as no, then try to load a personality with an actual name. In order to load any of the named personalities, GE must = Yes.

mahdi0 said:
With just GE=no I get profiler to see the card as 6xxx instead of 6850. is that cool?

performance seems the same. it's all good rolling with no frame buffer personality?

DVD Player and several other apps most likely won't work.

I have the Gigabyte 6850 and Bulrushes has been working well for me with "AtiPorts=4". I don't know if the same will work for your card.

ah yeah, i somehow didn't read it like that. thanks for the tips

mahdi0 said:
ah yeah, i somehow didn't read it like that. thanks for the tips

Yeah I actually read it the same way as you at first. Just thought I'd try to clear it up for anybody else having problems. The way it's typed out is kinda confusing.

Bob -

I've got an identical setup. Do you have one monitor or two? I've got one monitor running from the top DVI to a DVI port and a second monitor going from the HDMI port to a DVI inout using a HDMI->DVI cable.

The only way i can get the 2nd monitor to show up via the HDMI->DVI cable is using Bulrushes. However, like you, I get constant lags/mouse freezes (like when the Applications menu pops up or when the Top Sites page loads in Safari).

If I use Duckweed I can boot up fine to a single monitor on the DVI port. As soon as I hook up the monitor to the HDMI port, the DVI monitor becomes Monitor 2 (i.e. no menu or dock) and the monitor hooked up to the HDMI port goes black and then goes into power save mode. Any thoughts on this mess? Would really like to get my two monitors happening reliably.

I have some similar problem.
I have two monitors, one hooked up in hdmi and another in the top DVI conector.
Turns out that the hdmi one works nicely (with some ugly resolution/color definition though, but still 1080p) and the only way to get the DVI one (actually it's a VGA monitor, I'm using an DVI/VGA adapter) to work is with GE=NO.

When I turn my hackintosh on using only the DVI output, the monitor enters in power save mode right after the apple boot screen, just before the login screen.
It happens in both monitors (the hdmi monitor has also a VGA input), and if I switch to the hdmi I can use it "normally" from where it has "stopped".

There must be a way to get it working with GE=YES, as I've seen a lot of people using it, I must be veeery lucky :banghead:

It is my first hackintosh build, everything works fine when running windows 7, so probably it's not a problem with the graphics card.

I'd be very thankful if someone could help on this :D

My build:
MSI H67MA-E35
Core i5 2400
XFX HD6870 1GB Dual Fan
OS X 10.7 (I will update as soon as I get my wireless network USB card :p )

My monitors:
AOC 717wx
LG M2280A

Hope that someone can help me. :p

There is absolutely a way to make it work with GraphicsEnabler=YES, that is what this thread is about. You need to make yourself an ATI personality that is a proper description for your particular 6870.

The core GPU and assorted heavy lifting is the same across the cards for the mots part, but they all differ in what external connections they expose to the user. Mine is an HDMI/DVI-I/DVI-D/DP straight out of hell from Sapphire that apparently I'm the only person on the planet using on a Hac ;)

Read the Alex Martinez thread referenced earlier and get to work.

Edit: If you are skeptical that it's worth the effort, I find it to have a modest performance improvement over the generic framebuffer but absolutely worthwhile to get all the ports that I wanted working how I wanted them. I don't play any really demanding games or anything, just Diablo 3 these days.

Well, I finally got it working when setting the personality to "Gibba".
Now it is working the top DVI and the HDMI, don't know about the DP's...
I was pretty sure that I had tested with the Gibba personality, but it turned out that I was mistaken and did not tested.

Anyway, really thanks for your answer! :)
I'm pretty sure that following that guide would solve this, and get it working even better (it seems that you can get the HDMI sound to work aswell), but at first I was afraid of doing that stuff, since I'm really noobie on this. Then I decided to try some personalities again, and luckily could get what I wanted. :D

Once more, thanks!

I am using the powercolor scs3 radeon 6850 video card, which i currently have working using HDMI with GraphicsEnabler=yes and the Pithecia personality. This works in general (framebuffer loads, steam works etc.), but I am having two minor issues and was wondering if anybody could offer some insight:
1. I have a phantom monitor appearing on the adjust screen resolution screen. The system only has one physical monitor connected, but the computer thinks there is a second. I can reposition is, and even move my mouse onto it, but I can't figure out how to disable it. Any suggestions?
2. When I put the system to sleep then wake it up, the video output never comes back. I have to restart to get it going again. I tried hot-plugging the monitor, and that also killed the video output until restart. I read the guide about creating custom personalities, and It mentioned how to fix hot-plugging, but that seems fairly involved. I am willing to attempt it, but I wanted to check if there are any other suggestions. If not, I am going to make my own personality.

Thanks.

Hello to all!

i have found one interesting thing:

if i have in chameleon bootloader config file

PCIRoot=1

then Mac OS 10.6.8 does not recognize my MSI HD 6870 Hawk 1024MB, no matter what framebuffer in AtiConfig, and i can't get working QE/IC, DVD player crashes and games does not work

but if i write in chameleon bootloader config file

PCIRoot=0

Mac OS sees my video as ATI RADEON HD 6870 series 1024MB
DVD player works, games works

How PCIRoot affect the operation of video? can you explain?

sorry for my english

Back