Contribute
Register

Ati 6950 and 6970 team !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bastarddog said:
mo3rk said:
Cryptan said:
Do you recall which GLDriver.bundle you deleted?

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

Resolution changing works, but iTunes, Youtube gives me a kernel panic. I didn't try VLC yet, but I presume I will get a kernel panic as well. Any workarounds for this issue?

The workaround for youtube is to disable flash acceleration. I did this by using an old nvidia card that worked properly. The workaround for iTunes is to use Songbird or Clementine :) But I would do that ANYWAY... Dunno about VLC

I don't know about you all, but in large part the very reason I built a hackintosh to begin with was so that I could get great performance without paying triple the cost for a real Mac Pro. It makes no sense to me to find workarounds to get unsupported cards to run barely acceptable. That's just my opinion =)

akasurreal said:
I don't know about you all, but in large part the very reason I built a hackintosh to begin with was so that I could get great performance without paying triple the cost for a real Mac Pro. It makes no sense to me to find workarounds to get unsupported cards to run barely acceptable. That's just my opinion =)

I built a gaming PC and thought I would play around with OS X and maybe develop some iOS apps along the way. The HD6950 is an incredible card and I consider it a bargain because I can flash it to an HD6970. Besides, there is a good chance Apple will support it in the future, but they are slow. Anyway, the way my hackintosh runs right now I can develop iOS apps with no problems whatsoever. It would be nice, but I don't need flash and I can live without music since I have plenty of gadgets and computes laying around the house that can do just that. It's also a great learning project.

Cryptan said:
akasurreal said:

I built a gaming PC and thought I would play around with OS X and maybe develop some iOS apps along the way. The HD6950 is an incredible card and I consider it a bargain because I can flash it to an HD6970. Besides, there is a good chance Apple will support it in the future, but they are slow. Anyway, the way my hackintosh runs right now I can develop iOS apps with no problems whatsoever. It would be nice, but I don't need flash and I can live without music since I have plenty of gadgets and computes laying around the house that can do just that. It's also a great learning project.

Ah ok, makes sense. I also develop iOS apps, but use OSX as my primary OS most of the time unless I am gaming, so having everything run at its very best is key to me. I actually bought a 6950 first, but then returned it and got a 6870 for now. I will probably get a 6970 as soon as Apple updates their drivers.

bastarddog said:
mo3rk said:
Cryptan said:
Do you recall which GLDriver.bundle you deleted?

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle

Resolution changing works, but iTunes, Youtube gives me a kernel panic. I didn't try VLC yet, but I presume I will get a kernel panic as well. Any workarounds for this issue?

The workaround for youtube is to disable flash acceleration. I did this by using an old nvidia card that worked properly. The workaround for iTunes is to use Songbird or Clementine :) But I would do that ANYWAY... Dunno about VLC

I have tried deleting the ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle and have left everything else in place, but I still don't have native resolution. Would the manufacturer of the card make a difference? Mine is a sapphire card. Anything special in your boot.plist that might affect it?

Can you say specifically which "native" resolution is working? It may just be that they are using a resolution that is one of the ones you can use without any problem like 1600x1200, which is great if you don't have a widescreen monitor that most of us do.

Cryptan said:
I have tried deleting the ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle and have left everything else in place, but I still don't have native resolution. Would the manufacturer of the card make a difference? Mine is a sapphire card. Anything special in your boot.plist that might affect it?

Mine's a sapphire too. That's odd. Did you delete the other kexts and then put them back? Because that might cause problems

bastarddog said:
Mine's a sapphire too. That's odd. Did you delete the other kexts and then put them back? Because that might cause problems

Yeah, I might have done that, but I don't know why that would cause problems. I know I have to fix permissions after I put the kexts back and I have been using Disk Utility to do that. Is there a better way to do so?

Are you using a widescreen monitor? Because I can get a good resolution, but not 16:9. When you go to System Preferences>Displays do you see a list of different Resolutions that you can choose from?

If you don't have any suggestions would you mind providing me with your kexts?

Cryptan said:
bastarddog said:

Yeah, I might have done that, but I don't know why that would cause problems. I know I have to fix permissions after I put the kexts back and I have been using Disk Utility to do that. Is there a better way to do so?

Are you using a widescreen monitor? Because I can get a good resolution, but not 16:9. When you go to System Preferences>Displays do you see a list of different Resolutions that you can choose from?

If you don't have any suggestions would you mind providing me with your kexts?

my kexts are just whatever came with lion download, I didn't install any particular ones. I suggest you just install all the ATI kexts from the lion package using a program like kext helper

bastarddog said:
my kexts are just whatever came with lion download, I didn't install any particular ones. I suggest you just install all the ATI kexts from the lion package using a program like kext helper

Okay, I installed all of the kexts that came with Lion using kext helper and I wasn't able to boot to the desktop (white screen with functional cursor), so I removed ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle first and it did nothing. Then I removed the ATI kexts one by one until I found that ATI6000Controller.kext was the problem. So I put everything back, except that one and I can boot, but no widescreen resolution (max is 1400x1050x32) then I tried removing ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle but it doesn't change anything.

So I was wondering if you have ATI6000Controller.kext in S/L/E ? And are you able to have a widescreen (16:9) resolution? Is there anything under the Extras folder that might be doing something?

I'm sorry for being a pest, but if you really have widescreen resolution I would greatly appreciate any help you can give me.

I'd like to know this also.
A weird thing happened just before. I went to reinstall Lion from scratch.
I booted the into installer partition that was still there and for some reason, I had full resolution! I have no idea why.
Anyway, I wiped the old Lion partition and reinstalled. Rebooted and got stuck on a grey screen!! :banghead:
I then booted into my snow leopard partition and deleted the 3000GL bundle thingy from lion and also ran multibeast again.. but it still gave me the grey screen.

I think then I booted back into the installer partition to see if it still gave me full res, but THIS time it didn't boot and gave me the grey screen! :banghead:

So I'm thinking it has something to do with the extras folder or the com.apple.boot.plist file or maybe a kext in multibeast? Unless it was just a one off fluke... but I can't see why it would be.

Can someone who has full resolution working tell me what is in your boot.plist file? and also what options did you choose when you ran multibeast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back