Contribute
Register

ATI 5770 and Apple 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an APPLE ATI 5770 MC742ZM/A just to follow a different thread I found and they stated you have to change the frame buffer but didn't explain how so that will be my next step.

I used my NVidia 8800 build with GA-X58A-UD3R initially. I just used Multibeast to change to ATI_Vervet and 32Bit GraphicsEnabler=No. Booted to a desktop with nothing on it... moved mouse around and saw it so no big deal just hit COMMAND+F1 to get the display back and then System Preferences and Displays to reconfig the Dock to my DVI connector because I don't have my ACD right next to me.

This was on a 10.6.5 build but my Audio didn't come up and I tried everything so I reformatted to make sure everything was fresh. Installed Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.3 disc. Opened Multibeast and had my settings locked and loaded... Updated 10.6.4 then Run the 10.6.5 update which includes the Graphics Package. Then Run Multibeast with USER DSDT for my board and clicked ATI_Vervet with 32Bit GraphicsEnabler=No.

Everything is working through DVI to my Old monitor right now as I have to go get my ACD from the office. But it all works so far and my Mini Display Ports must be working because it lets me set a desktop to the highest settings. BRB to let you know if it all works....

Ok so I scrapped the APPLE ATI 5770 and went with the XFX HD-577X-ZMF3 like Elemental and Tonezone posted... and sure enough it works fine even passes the audio through. I just figured out that the case was blocking the mini display port plug on the Apple ATI 5770 and I was in a hurry so the Apple Card probably worked too, but I must not have had the mini display plug in all the way... even though I double checked and pushed it firmly. Could have sworn it was seated but there was a millimeter of distance that this new card seated into. But it is a cheaper card and also has 2 DVI out.

So I just used the ATI_Vervet and 32Bit GraphicsEnabler=No for plist. And as soon as I plugged the new card in my Memory detected, as it showed that it was empty before.

I used the iBoot ATI that I downloaded 2 months ago, then Retail DVD of 10.6.3 -> 10.6.4 -> 10.6.5 and User DSDT for the GA-X58A-UD3R.

Happy to report the MiniDisplay port works with the Apple Cinema LED 24"

Anybody tried the XFX HD-577X-ZMF3 with a the apple 27" display?

I already got the display, but it doesn't work with my 5770. with the display to mini display adaptor.

It should work I got mine going on the 24 inch with audio too. I don't see what the difference would be, MiniDisplay Port is the connector on both 24 and 27 right? Make sure your case isn't blocking the Display Port from Fully seating as mine was, it will sort of clip snugly into place and may seem like it is seated but its not.

I have the GA-X58A-UD3R rev.2 FB. I have a DSDT with 10.6.5 running. If you don't have 10.6.5 this could be the issue too.

Hi, I am looking to get ACD 27" for my hackintosh. I currently use vanilla install SL 10.6.5. I use 64 bit kernel currently and I was wondering if i can use XFX HD-577X-ZMF3 Radeon HD 5770 under 64bit kernel. Can anyone confirm if above combo is possible?

Thanks.

Sorry if this feels like resurrecting an old(er) thread but I just wanted to comment that today I got my 27" ACD to to work with the XFX 5770 Single Profile card. On Monday I should receive the cable posted earlier so I can put back the ASUS HD5870 which was originally in my Hackintosh.

Just wanted to make sure people knew it can work out of the box with a cheap card with good performance even in games.

I'll post on Monday if the cable works as well

FYI I am on 10.6.6 with the Multibeast boot option for ATI cards

Too bad,

my cable came in today and unfortunately my ASUS HD5870 does not work with the Displayport to Mini Displayport cable. The screen stays completly black so I had to reinstall the "old" XFX HD5770 card which has a native minidisplayport.

Back to the drawingboard I guess :(

MeqTrader said:
...I got my 27" ACD to to work with the XFX 5770 Single Profile card. .... FYI I am on 10.6.6 with the Multibeast boot option for ATI cards

MeqTrader,

I have the same mobo and video card and was unable to get a signal to my display when trying my new OS X install. (I'm using a VGA monitor with adapter to set up the basic config but will ultimately be driving (2) 20" ACDs, however they are in use at the moment so I don't have access to them.) Although I've built many PCs and a few servers, this is my first Hackintosh. Your comment about the Multibeast boot option for ATI cards enabled me to realize my oversight there. I installed that and the machine booted to the Apple screen (progress!) but remained at the spinning wheel. I've followed Tony's guide very closely, so I think I'm must be missing something in relationship to the card. Can you provide any insight as to what I've overlooked based on your experience with the XFX 5770? Any advice is appreciated. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back