CPU
i7 3770k
Graphics
Apple 5770 radeon
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So, i prematurely ordered a 27" apple led display...

Seem like things are not as simple as i thought.....

So far i have found i can.

1, buy a apple radeon 5770 videocard.
2, flash my old card with apple firmware, and buy a display port to mini display port adapter that doesn't always work........

But before i spend more money, perhaps there are other options.
The display wont arrive in another few weeks. So please advise.

Thanks

Nicolai

Correct me if I'm wrong but assuming the 5770 works in OSX in a hackintosh why would it not be able to run the 27" Apple Cinema display via just an display port adapter?

Why would you need to flash your video card with apple firmware?

Hi Nicolai,

yes, sorry - I meant the HD-577X-ZMF3 with ONE MDP and not 5!
That card is 100% perfect working, I have build 3 machines with it (with different motherboards) and the 27" LED ACD.

@eosman: I have tried a few DP-to-MDP adapters (also the expensive one from Gefen)... didn´t work. It seems that the ACD needs a native Mini-DisplayPort.

Cheers
Zig

I use the ACD, the new one 27". I love it! I have used it with both the (edit) XFX 5770 and 5850 and it works flawlessly.

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/produ ... Cable.html

I use this cable to go from mini display on the ACD to the display port on the motherboard! I do get artifacts on initial boot on my secondary, dell display, but by simply unplugging and replugging in the display port both screens work perfectly, or a new way to solve this issue is to put the screens to sleep after the first boot and everything works perfectly after that. Good luck everyone! Hope this helps someone out there!

P.S. I know the site says there are some known issues, but after calling and talking with them they believe that it was with the older cable they used to sell, but they have no way of confirming the cable has been changed. This "new" one has no issues with ATI cards whatsoever. So thats my confirmation for everyone!

Does the Mini Display Port pass through on boot or do you need a DVI monitor connected first. I had probs initially with the XFX 5770 and the HDMI version not syncing with monitors during boot and had to swap them back and forth from DVI ports to get my dual monitors working. Not sure if it was the fact that one Monitor was RGB adapted to DVI and the other was DVI.

I had read elsewhere on the forum that someone got this going with an APPLE ATI 5770 and that you needed that for the EFI to keep the ACD live. Seemed like too much of a hassle. But fortunately I found this thread.

I have an ACD and want to give this a try. Is there an NVidia Card that would do the same?

immapc, when you do give it a try would you be so kind to post your results here?

I'm eager to get the 27" Apple display for my Powercolor ATi 5850 but I'm hesitant in fear it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back