Contribute
Register

ATI 5770 and Apple 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone got Dual Slot working with the 27" ACD ? I've just been offered a good price on a second hand Cinema Display so I'm doing just having a search around. I'm running the Batmobile Gigabyte 5770 reference design.

I will take a look at the BIOS versions for your cards on TechPowerUp to see if I can edit the connector tables in the ATI kexts to help match your cards.

Also my card has a "large/non-mini" display port so I will take a look at converters but I understand that people have had mixed results and also I know that the new ATI kexts are more temperamental to what is actual connected as I know that some cards won't display on VGA screens when using DVI-VGA converters on DVI ports.

Cheers for the help!

notshy said:
Has anyone got Dual Slot working with the 27" ACD ? I've just been offered a good price on a second hand Cinema Display so I'm doing just having a search around. I'm running the Batmobile Gigabyte 5770 reference design.

I will take a look at the BIOS versions for your cards on TechPowerUp to see if I can edit the connector tables in the ATI kexts to help match your cards.

Also my card has a "large/non-mini" display port so I will take a look at converters but I understand that people have had mixed results and also I know that the new ATI kexts are more temperamental to what is actual connected as I know that some cards won't display on VGA screens when using DVI-VGA converters on DVI ports.

Cheers for the help!

Notshy: That's exactly what happened to me-- great price on a barely used ACD. I too had the Batmobile (in following your INCREDIBLE guide/help; once again, endless praises from me to you), but partially because I just moved to Germany from the U.S. (no more newegg :thumbdown: ) and I don't speek the language (yet), I opted to just buy the XFX 5770 single slot with the built in mini DP-- because while it SHOULDN'T matter, some folks said DP to mini DP cables didn't work with every 5770 and 5870 and the ACD... and I didn't want to spend the time/money to find out (and I figured I could sell the Batmobile and basically break even).

notshy said:

Cheers for the help!

Not sure if this will be of any help, but check out the post by calvintml here http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,862.0.html. He talks about different DP ports and converters.

Gigabyte HD 6870 driving an 27'' ACD here -- this is a reference card, so it works as expected. It looks and sounds awesome!!
Previously I had a Gigabyte HD 5770 OC (which basically is a Batmobile on steroids) but that didn't work. It could be the card's fault or the mDP-to-DP adapter.

I had my acd27 + 5770 single slot setup running flawless for a few weeks.
Without me making any changes I am now often confronted by a Kernel Panic on boot up.
It seems like the panic is graphic kexts related. I only did the small edit a la redratto to get the vervet frame buffer running.

Any ideas?

my setup:
ep45-ud3lr, q6600@3,2, XFX 5770 single slot, acd 27, zr24w

Attachments

• Foto.jpg
    Foto.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 166
macspear said:
I had my acd27 + 5770 single slot setup running flawless for a few weeks.
Without me making any changes I am now often confronted by a Kernel Panic on boot up.
It seems like the panic is graphic kexts related. I only did the small edit a la redratto to get the vervet frame buffer running.

Any ideas?

my setup:
ep45-ud3lr, q6600@3,2, XFX 5770 single slot, acd 27, zr24w

I sometimes (10% or fewer) get KPs during boot. But that's been the case since the beginning (which for me was x58A-UD3R 2.0, FD firmware, 10.6.6, Batmobile 5770), and I attribute it to the Mobo and perhaps firmware, and maybe with booting back and forth between Windows and OS X.

If anything, I find that this behavior is at its least frequent right now, with Lion, current 5770, edited ATI5000Controller kext, and FF firmware (though the greatest subjective increase in KP on boot was when I went from FE to FF firmware... FE was probably my previous lowest KP frequency).

It used to happen much more often during my first build-- whenever I powered the PSU off completely with the button on the back between restarts.

I don't really worry about it, because I NEVER KP once I am in the system (nor BSOD during startup or in Windows), and given the anecdotes about my Mobo/PSU startup issues (double-starts, start and stop, etc)... it seems par, or rather underpar, for the course.

Maybe I'll pay attention the next time in KPs and see what it hangs on. I probably get this behavior on start once every two weeks or so.

ATI 5770 and Apple 27 Mini Displayport

So I just installed a new 5770 ZMF3 and both dvi slots are working OOB on 10.6.6. But I can't seem to get anything from the Mini Displayport. I have an older 20" ACD that I am testing with an Apple MDP to DVI plug (it works fine with my Macbook), what can I do to test the Mini Displayport is working prior to shelling out for a new 27" ACD?

I am running 10.6.6 with the MultiBeast 3.3.0 and the ATI Experimental Bootloader. I have seen folks on this thread that have it working so any help would be great.

Update: so I restarted with my current Monitor hooked up via the Apple Mini Display to DVI adaptor and I can boot past chameleon to the grey SL loading screen but then it goes black and I have to switch back to the DVI port on a card to see anything.

Does that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back