Contribute
Register

ATI 5770 and Apple 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow redratto,

all you did was making this small edit and its working just fine now?
Are there no other activation methods apart from graphicsenabler=yes involved?

Sure sounds great!

redratto said:
Right now I am running Lion 10.7 with vanilla kexts on ATI 5770 (XFX HD-577X-ZMF3) and ACD 27” connected to MiniDP with full acceleration. Cinebench score of 37.

Anyways, here is what I did. Used vanilla kexts for 10.7. In ATI5000Controller.kext, opened Info.plist and replaced Langur with Vervet. Saved and repaired permissions. That’s it.

The reason acceleration did not work before was that I was missing the ATIRadeonX3000 plugin and bundle files--not sure why they did not copy over.

Regarding the framebuffer discussion from above, turns out the drivers for the Vervet framebuffer, while not mentioned in Info.plist of the ATI5000Controller.kext, are present in the controller file. When you open the controller file in Hexedit you can see references to Vervet. Without a reference to Vervet in ATI5000Controller.kext only the DVI ports will work on the card. By replacing Langur with Vervet, the system activates the MiniDP on the card again.

Thanks mate, this helped me a lot!
With your method I´m now running two displays on my Gigabyte HD5770 SilentCell (24"ACD+27"DellU2711) with a CineBench score of around 51 fps using lion´s 7.2.9 kexts.
This is via DVI and DP, the combination DVI+HDMI does not work (DVI only), but at least my two displays active again... :thumbup: :wave:

macspear said:
Wow redratto,

all you did was making this small edit and its working just fine now?
Are there no other activation methods apart from graphicsenabler=yes involved?

Sure sounds great!

macspear, yes, I did very minor edits. Apart from the kext edit described above, here is my install:

On the first Lion run, I installed MultiBeast with UserDSDT for my motherboard, System Utilities, JMicron36xATA and SATA, NEC USB 3.0, Lnx2Mac's Realtek Driver, and 64-bit bootloader with GraphicsEnabler=Yes (which enables the injection of the Velvet framebuffer).

After MultiBeast install, I did not reboot, but made the kext edit described above (replaced Langur with Velvet to ensure that the MiniDP loads) and ran MultiBeast with System Utilities again. Rebooted and had a working system.

hmm can't get it to work unfortunately. :banghead:

this is how I edited the Ati5000Controller Kext and my com.apple.boot.plist.

Any ideas ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 3.45.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 3.45.15 PM.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 304
  • Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 3.46.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 3.46.35 PM.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 293
macspear said:
hmm can't get it to work unfortunately. :banghead:

this is how I edited the Ati5000Controller Kext and my com.apple.boot.plist.

Any ideas ?

First, try removing AtiConfig=Vervet in boot.plist. There should be no reason to add that since Chimera already injects Vervet for your card. Also, add GraphicsEnabler=Yes.
Second, in the ATI5000Controller kext, make sure you edit Langur and not Hoolock, Orangutan or Zonalis (I could not get any of them to work).
If it still does not work, try loading in verbose mode.

It works fine now.
I don't know how I could manage to forget to add graphicsenabler ;)

Thank you very much for your solution redratto!

Yes!

I just tried the method of going back to all original 10.7 ATI kexts-- but changing Langur to Vervet in the ATI5000Controller kext. Boots fine, full acceleration.

Funny thing: Cinebench FPS went from 35.7x w/ 10.6.7 kexts (1.6.26) to 35.5x with the 10.7 kexts.

I don't really care. And it's still about a 10% increase over any results I got in any version of Snow Leopard. But I thought it was interesting anyway, particularly because Cinebench is very consistent for me... for any given setup, I get consistent/identical FPS results down the .01 every run.

In any case, we now have an almost ideal, totally elegant solution to the mini Display Port/5770/Lion issue!

justruss said:
Yes!

I just tried the method of going back to all original 10.7 ATI kexts-- but changing Langur to Vervet in the ATI5000Controller kext. Boots fine, full acceleration.

Funny thing: Cinebench FPS went from 35.7x w/ 10.6.7 kexts (1.6.26) to 35.5x with the 10.7 kexts.

I don't really care. And it's still about a 10% increase over any results I got in any version of Snow Leopard. But I thought it was interesting anyway, particularly because Cinebench is very consistent for me... for any given setup, I get consistent/identical FPS results down the .01 every run.

In any case, we now have an almost ideal, totally elegant solution to the mini Display Port/5770/Lion issue!

Scratch that. I was mistakenly comparing my HDD system results to my SSD system results.

10.6.7 w/ 10.6.7 kexts = 32.32 FPS (Cinebench)
10.7 w/ 10.6.7 kexts = 35.75 FPS (Cinebench)
10.7 w/ 10.7 kexts = 36.26 FPS (Cinebench)

So each step has been an improvement. And going from 32.32 FPS to 36.26 FPS is an speed boost of ~ 12%. Not too shabby. Of course, it's still far behind Windows 7 Open GL results.

justruss said:
justruss said:
So each step has been an improvement. And going from 32.32 FPS to 36.26 FPS is an speed boost of ~ 12%. Not too shabby. Of course, it's still far behind Windows 7 Open GL results.

good to hear! I haven't done any benchmarking yet but I am so glad to have this running with the good 'ol 5770 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back