Contribute
Register

ATI 5770 and Apple 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo,

There is mixed feedback going around regarding 27" ACD and PC compatibility. Some can get it to work and some cannot. I seem to have found myself somewhere in the middle...awesome.

Basically I purchased the AMD Radeon HD 6800 series video card which obviously has a Display port. I then also purchased the adapter cable http://estore.circuitassembly.com/p...Female-to-Displayport-Male-Adapter-Cable.html

Screen works fine, perfect colour, resolution and all that. Only problem being is that occasionally, during certain tasks, the video driver wiggs-out. By wigg-out I mean the screen freezes temporarily, then flashes a colour (pink, green, white....whatever), and then either goes back to normal, with an error message saying that my "AMD display driver has stopped responding and has recovered", or the computer freezes entirely and I need to reboot. Sometimes I have even been lucky enough to be graced with the dreaded blue screen.

Generally the tasks which lead to driver wigg-outs include maximising videos/games to fullscreen, scrolling up/down on some web pages, using windows aero theme, and also the windows 7 sticky notes sometimes screw it up.

What do you think???

Im pretty confident that Im fighting a losing battle, but if anyone has any ideas before I trade this bad boy it would be much appreciated.

NB- I update my video driver regularly in hope that the problem will eventually disappear.

Windows 7 (64 bit)
AMD RADEON HD 6800 series

I have no issues with my 6870 and ACD.
You might also want to check out the cable and see if there has been any issues with it anywhere. I know some cables are finicky. Just a thought.

My 5770 works a charm in Win7 64-bit, driving the ACD 27 from the mini Display Port on the card (single slot).

It even plays crysis at full resolution (Ok, but it DOES occasionally overheat/soft crash in crysis, not losing any data, but temporarily sending me to the crysis menu... but crysis is known for its bugs).

If anything, I've had more problems with 10.6.8... had to use the 10.6.7 kexts to get the screen to do anything other than show black (even tried the plug/unplug and the sleep/wake tricks).

mjgunn said:
Anyone here running 10.6.8 and having a problem with their ACD? A little worried after seeing this guys post saying that some of his cards won't work with his ACD in 10.6.8 and Lion which were running it fine previously.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=258514

Not an ACD, but with similar specs on a Dell U2711.
With my HD5770 SilentCell working full res in 10.6.7 via DVI, DP (2560x1440) and HDMI (1080p), also multi monitoring (except HDMI which is mirrored).

10.6.8 however only allows use via DVI (2560x1440).
Same as described: After Apple boot screen monitor blacks out.

10.6.8 uses newer ATI kexts (1.6.36) whereas 10.6.7 had 1.6.32.
I did not try to rollback yet as I´m normally only on one monitor.
Also an option to try could be MB version 3.7.2 which had the ATI 1.6.34 kexts.

And of course the SilentCell is not reference design, but that was not causing problems up to now, worked oob.

Well that's some disturbing news. I assume you tried the different framebuffers to see if one of them would enable the displayport?

mjgunn said:
Well that's some disturbing news. I assume you tried the different framebuffers to see if one of them would enable the displayport?

Actually no.
Just bought the Dell yesterday and had no pressure to use framebuffers before on my 24"ACDs.
And as lion is approaching I guess I´ll rather wait what´s coming up with it... ;)

mjgunn said:
Anyone here running 10.6.8 and having a problem with their ACD? A little worried after seeing this guys post saying that some of his cards won't work with his ACD in 10.6.8 and Lion which were running it fine previously.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=258514
nope i installed 10.6.8 and everything working minty fresh!! :D
Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 9.44.01 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 9.44.27 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 9.44.01 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 9.44.01 AM.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 103
  • Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 9.44.27 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-07-02 at 9.44.27 AM.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 121
Magestrate, from what I'm reading it looks like its only the 5xxx cards with the problems, 6870s are working ok. Is DVD Player working for you in 10.6.8 with the new drivers or does it crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back