Contribute
Register

ATI 5770 and Apple 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, but its a slightly different card. I do not know how big of a difference these model variations make.

Have anyone had any problems using a 6870 card? Preferably using a DP-miniDP adpater. I'm considering getting the ASUS HD 6870 DirectCU ( EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 ) but it would be nice to see if anyone had any problems or actually got it working first.

NurkJon said:
Have anyone had any problems using a 6870 card? Preferably using a DP-miniDP adpater. I'm considering getting the ASUS HD 6870 DirectCU ( EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5 ) but it would be nice to see if anyone had any problems or actually got it working first.
Why would you go mini to display. Why not just get a card that has the ports you need.

eelhead said:
NurkJon said:
Why would you go mini to display. Why not just get a card that has the ports you need.
Several reasons, firstly it's the cheapest HD 6870 in Sweden, a lot cheaper then the others. It's also much quieter then other HD 6870 cards thanks to the better cooler according to the reviews. It's made with better components which have better quality then the reference cards. It overclocks better then the reference onces because of the above reasons and it would look much better in my system then the reference cards. That about sums it up, it's a better card for less money.

i had trouble with the xfx 5770 i bought the sapphire radeon hd 6870 works like a charm both mini display ports work in mac and windows.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 10.51.47 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 10.51.47 AM.png
    37 KB · Views: 114
  • Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 10.52.29 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 10.52.29 AM.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 10.52.45 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 10.52.45 AM.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 123
check to see if you have 64 bit kernel enabled. it has something to do with the card working.

good luck..

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 11.00.59 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 11.00.59 AM.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 107
Anyone tried on of those 67xx cards already with mdp?
So far I've only see people using 68xx and 69xx which don't fit my budget, and the XFX 5770 can't be found in stock over here. Besides I don't need anything over a 67xx card, not really a gamer and care more for gui responsiveness.

Badeendje said:
Anyone tried on of those 67xx cards already with mdp?
So far I've only see people using 68xx and 69xx which don't fit my budget, and the XFX 5770 can't be found in stock over here. Besides I don't need anything over a 67xx card, not really a gamer and care more for gui responsiveness.
You might be able to flash to a 5770 since they're basically the same card renamed 8800GT-style. Do some research, if you're lucky you don't even need to flash it. The ones in the MBP are the mobile versions and aren't quite the same as the desktop version.

One thing that I don't understand is how you can afford an ACD but can't put a little extra down for an 6870 or so. I guess that's not my business.

Might try that, research already showed me those were rebranded cards so had good hope.

I bought this screen for my macbook pro which isn't sufficient anymore.
Instead of buying me a new macbook I'd rather have this screen now working on my hack pro, but have no need for more graphical power.

Let's put it this way... I could have bought me an i7 cpu, but an i5 is sufficient, does that still mean I need to buy the i7? Don't think so. If apple had some mac pro positioned between the imac and mac pro which was upgradable I might go for that instead but since they don't I'd rather build something myself... and it's more fun.

It's really not a money issue at all, more an issue of what amount do I like to spend?
Besides I'm not even sure if those long cards will fit my case at al.

Badeendje said:
Might try that, research already showed me those were rebranded cards so had good hope.

I bought this screen for my macbook pro which isn't sufficient anymore.
Instead of buying me a new macbook I'd rather have this screen now working on my hack pro, but have no need for more graphical power.

Let's put it this way... I could have bought me an i7 cpu, but an i5 is sufficient, does that still mean I need to buy the i7? Don't think so. If apple had some mac pro positioned between the imac and mac pro which was upgradable I might go for that instead but since they don't I'd rather build something myself... and it's more fun.

It's really not a money issue at all, more an issue of what amount do I like to spend?
Besides I'm not even sure if those long cards will fit my case at al.
Yeah I totally understand you, no reason to put lots of extra money down on a more powerful card when a less powerful one is more then sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back