Contribute
Register

ATI 5770 and Apple 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
mjgunn said:
It's not reference but it worked without hassle in my setup. I've tried both Displayports, they work, and both DVI ports and they worked using duckweed. If you're looking to spend less I think there are 5770s that will work, I don't have experience with them though so someone else will have to speak up about them.
Nice. Did you try running multiple displays? Does audio out work with DP port?

injectx, how do you like your SAPPHIRE 100314-2SR. It seems to also have great performance and is less expensive then the XFX 6870. Does this work with all outputs for you? Can you use multiple monitors? Is it quiet? Thank you

A few 5770's may work with the ACD, but don't waste your money on them, buy a 6870.

Some claim to have the "Batmobile" 5770 working with the ACD using a DP -> mini DP adapter. Well I purchased the cable and it doesn't work. If you are not using a ACD the "Batmobile" is a great card. I've PM injectx (the keeper of the infamous working/nonworking graphic cards with ACD list) and also PM the persons that claim to have the "Batmobile" working with the ACD, none have responded.

No bashing intended for Injectx....I just wanted him to update his list for working/nonworking cards. In fact, maybe the list should included any special instructions needed to get the cards working.

Back to the point, I just replaced my "Batmobile" with a XFX HD-687A-ZDFC. The card actually displays BIOS POST sequence...no funny stuff needed, you don't have to unplug and replug it to get it working. As you can see in the attachment I don't have the framebuffer set up correctly yet, but you can see it does support multiple monitors. It is dead quiet!

More to come." ACD & XFX HD-687A-ZDFC.tiff

I have the Sapphire 6870 HD and I know both Mini-Display ports work just fine but I don't know about the other ports. It seems quite enough but I was unable to do extensive testing (gaming) on it yet because I had to return my mobo for start up issues. It worked fine besides the Geekbench and DvD crash after 10.6.7 but after installing Andy's fix it worked like a charm! It was only $209. on newegg as well.

oo and there is a rebate and video game with it right now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

edit: I am using an Apple 24" Display

iWire and eelhead, thank you for your responses. I guess the only difference comes from the XFX lifetime warranty vs the Sapphire is available locally for me at Microcenter (I can swap/return it if it doesn't work with the ACD27).

As you can see from my post (see attachment, the Dell 24") the DVI ports work just fine.

eelhead said:
I have the Sapphire 6870 HD and I know both Mini-Display ports work just fine but I don't know about the other ports. It seems quite enough but I was unable to do extensive testing (gaming) on it yet because I had to return my mobo for start up issues. It worked fine besides the Geekbench and DvD crash after 10.6.7 but after installing Andy's fix it worked like a charm! It was only $209. on newegg as well.

iWire said:
As you can see from my post (see attachment, the Dell 24") the DVI ports work just fine.

eelhead said:

Yes I know yours works through DVI, I wasn't able to test mine so I wasn't going to confirm something on my set up that that I didn't use. That's the only reason why I mentioned it is all.

mishok said:
iWire and eelhead, thank you for your responses. I guess the only difference comes from the XFX lifetime warranty vs the Sapphire is available locally for me at Microcenter (I can swap/return it if it doesn't work with the ACD27).
Your welcome,
You should be fine with whatever choice you make. There are more then enough of use that are using different Manufacturer made cards but the same model that somebody will be able to help you along if you have any issues. I don't see you having any but one never knows lol.

Does anyone know if the XFX HD-687A-ZNFC will work as well?

mishok said:
Does anyone know if the XFX HD-687A-ZNFC will work as well?

Yes it will. I have a 27" Apple Cinema Display and I'm using the HD-687A-ZDFC which is the same card with better cooling and is whisper quiet. Works OOB. Use MB 3.5 or later, select the new ATI kexts, GraphicsEnabler=Yes, and Chimera bootloader.

I attempted to get my 5770 batmobile to work which it didn't. I also purchased the recommended cable for CA, again it didn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back