Contribute
Register

ATI 5770 and Apple 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well from what i understand is that manufacturers update their card boards and BIOS-es. They may use different version numbers for different(updated) logic boards but my guess is that they don't change the model or product number when the cards bios gets updated.

So the non-working cards could actually be working when you buy them in the shop now because the BIOS is updated.

But yeah i don't know if the list is useful anymore when you look of it that way..

Some of the cards don't work and will never work. Some of the mfgrs may have quietly fixed the cards and just bumped the sn/model #. Be interesting to see if that has occurred or an announcement has been made on the card mfgr's forum.

My apologies for not being clearer.

That makes more sense to me, thanks.
Would there be a fix for that with a card that isn't working? Something through the manufacturer maybe to find out what cards were affected?

Probably not. Profit margins are low on graphics cards, model turn over is high, and the mfgrs are come out with new cards within short intervals. Guess I have to wait for 6870's to drop into the mid $100 USD.

I just brought 2 ex demo 27" iMacs dirty cheap to use as monitor and logic studio nodes.

I already have and XFX 5770 single slot and have tested 1 iMac connected via mini display port and it works fine if nothing is connected via DVI when the computer boots. If I connect a monitor via DVI and the iMac via mini dp both work until the desktop loads, at this point the iMac goes black and the DVI monitor displays a corrupt image.

When I boot the machine with just the iMac connected, wait till the desktop to load then plug in a monitor via DVI both monitors work fine. Any ideas?

I have ordered the 5 x Mini displayport version of the xfx5770 single slot hoping that it will happily drive both iMacs. I'll report back on that when the card arrives.

injectx said:
elemental said:
I have the 5770 and the ACD. You don't need a special graphics card. If you can get a normal graphics card for cheaper with a display port all you need is this cable...

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/produ ... Cable.html

I've purchased and used this cable, everything works as promised and it is simple plug and play. Issues with multi-monitors is also easily fixable.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Yep that's what i -and several other users- thought too. Thing is, it didn't work with both my Sapphire 5770 and XFX 5870 using a DP>miniDP adapter. That's why i made the compatibility list in my sig.

I also tried the cable adapter and it didn't work with my 5770 Batmobile and my 27" ACD.

I would like to know how thornomad claims to have it working according to injectx APPLE CINEMA DISPLAY LED COMPATIBLE GRAPHICS CARD LIST....Sorry for yelling but WTF?

Are there any updates in which cards are best? I just purchased a Apple 27 Display and intend on using it on my SB build. It seems the best option is to go with the XFX 6870 HD-687A-ZDFC card, since it has the mini displayports (no need to buy adapter) and is currently in stock and produced. Is this card also compatible with the 10.6.7 updates? Can it run multiple monitors? I have read through this posting, but haven't found a full evaluation.

Mishok, I would definitely recommend the XFX 6870 HD-687A-ZDFC, I'm using it with my 24" ACD. Works perfectly and even better it's silent at idle and full load.

mjgunn, thanks for the reply. I think thats what I will go with, I was just hoping to spend less, around $100. I am not a gamer, so a 5770 or less would probably be more then adequate. Is this card "reference" and is natively recognized in 10.6.7? Also, you were able to use all of the outputs and run multiple displays?

It's not reference but it worked without hassle in my setup. I've tried both Displayports, they work, and both DVI ports and they worked using duckweed. If you're looking to spend less I think there are 5770s that will work, I don't have experience with them though so someone else will have to speak up about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back