Contribute
Register

ATI 5770 and Apple 27"

Status
Not open for further replies.
elemental said:
I have the 5770 and the ACD. You don't need a special graphics card. If you can get a normal graphics card for cheaper with a display port all you need is this cable...

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/produ ... Cable.html

I've purchased and used this cable, everything works as promised and it is simple plug and play. Issues with multi-monitors is also easily fixable.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Yep that's what i -and several other users- thought too. Thing is, it didn't work with both my Sapphire 5770 and XFX 5870 using a DP>miniDP adapter. That's why i made the compatibility list in my sig.

elemental said:
I have the 5770 and the ACD. You don't need a special graphics card. If you can get a normal graphics card for cheaper with a display port all you need is this cable...

http://estore.circuitassembly.com/produ ... Cable.html

I've purchased and used this cable, everything works as promised and it is simple plug and play. Issues with multi-monitors is also easily fixable.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.
How long ago did you purchase the cable?

I ask because they had problems with the cable working in the early versions.

Just moved from a 5770 to a Saphire Radeon HD 6870 with Mini Display port.
I purchased the card because I bought a 27" Apple display.
It works 100% with the ATI drivers and EnableDisplay=yes from MultiBeast.
Looks amazing.
Webcam, speakers, and mic all work 100%

gustave said:
Looks amazing.

Great man. Glad you got everything working well. Do you use the duckweed framebuffer? If so, care to share your Cinebench results?

Have a few cards you can add to the list. The powercolor pcs+ 6870 (though I wouldn't recommend this card since the fan sounds like a vacuum cleaner at idle) and the xfx 6870 HD-687A-ZDFC (new twin blade design) which I would definitely recommend, fans are dead silent.

in my com file, I have no framebuffer specified.
I get 33 on cinebench.

gustave said:
Looks amazing.

Same with my Sapphire 6870 HD with a 24" Apple Display.
Haven't done webcab or mic yet but sound works fine.

got 31 on cinibench. With no frame buffers changed. Will do some fine tuning and redo cinibench.

List updated with new contributions, thanks guys!

I discovered that the netkas.org forum has a similar thread. Here's what's posted last December:
calvintml said:
...To quote circuit assembly again (the sellers of the dp to mdp converter) "This cable has been reported to have issues being used with ATI 57XX and 58XX series video cards. We've contacted ATI about this problem and they have expressed that this is a known issue with their video cards and they do not plan on fixing it." this is for all 5xxx for all operating systems, even windows

I was pretty bummed about this too, since instead of having a regular 5770 with two dvi and one dp running my apple cinema display using a relatively cheap dp to mdp adapter, I had to get the more expensive eyefinity 5 version of the 5770 that I spent way too long getting to work, and not even to its full capacity.
Thus, it's a hardware issue, not a s/w issue. Rominator on that forum advised "...get a 6870 or an Apple card [for Mac Pro's]..."

So, I posted and linked to this thread as a reference. Now, I don't want Rominator's reply to degernate into an Urinary Olympiad about who's forum has what attributes, but there was an interest bit of knowledge in his replay to me. Note: "That thread" is this thread.
Rominator said:
that thread has factual errors

they didn't take into account that the manufacturers caught this error and fixed the cards later in production

Thus some cards that are listed as working will be found not too and some cards which are listed as not working will be found working if people use correct card revision

not based on bios but hardware...
It looks like a DP/mDP h/w problem on the early 57xx & 58xx cards. Do you guys about this?

Again, look at what he says, not how he says it.

Aren't we listing cards as we find them by user experience?

I mean that if I have so and so card and find it not to work by trying different methods
that's what we are basing our list on right?

I am not understanding his post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back