Intel Core i7 7700K
Graphics
EVGA Geforce 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everybody
I had a Sapphire ATI HD3850 512MB with two monitors connected (Samsung SM 206BW on DVI and Philips 170C on DVI-VGA adapter), this worked nicely with extended desktop but without QE/CL, and that was bad :thumbdown:

So, i decided to change my card with a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 512, reading on the web that it has good support on os x..

In a couple of hours I had the new card working (had to replace a couple of kexts), also with QE/CL, i have all my fancy effects on gadgets working, translucent bar and blah blah blah..

but, no dual monitor. the DVI one works fine, the VGA one does not receive any signal when the desktop appears, that's bad too. it's ugly to use protools on one monitor :yawn:

any help/idea/solution? if you need more info just ask.

thanks

Re: ATI 4870 512MB no dual monitor on os x 10.6.4

messing up with cables made my screens work :lol:
I disconnected one per time, switched connections, reboot, and now they work!
don't know how it happened but who cares... it's ok now! :thumbup:

on!x said:
Yeah... The "wonders" of ATI 48xx :(

Lnx2Mac said:
on!x said:
Yeah... The "wonders" of ATI 48xx :(

really beautiful :lol:

but..
new set of problems now.
my system does no more shut down or reboot.. it just hangs at the light blue screen with the black thing spinning.
Also, sometimes it freezes randomly.. for example, i start skype, the icon keep bouncing, and stops, the dock freezes and the other applications too, one per time...

I experience that since I installed the new video card with relative kexts, so I guess there's something wrong with those...

I'm not using any modded or replaced kexts for my (XFX) 4870, just the standard ones (now including the recent GFX update). Just using Chameleon's GraphicsEnabler...

now i remember: i removed a couple of kexts related to series 2000 and 4000 to make my old 3850 work, i needed to put new ones because of that i think.

should i replace the ones i got with the original ones? maybe from a "real" os x installation, or reinstalling the graphic update?

Well, worst that can happen is no video! I'd try running the graphics update, it ought to update all related kexts (as it did in my MBP) even though you may be running an "iMac" per smbios.plist.

yes of course.. ok, i'll try today :)

just one more thing: what is needed to add to com.apple.Boot.list? sometime i read that Graphic Enabler = Yes is enough, some other times that also PCIRootUID=1 is necessary, i have both of them now and i'm not sure what's better...

Thank you!

GraphicsEnabler will ask Chameleon to "inject" the GFX card info, so is needed to avoid use of kexts such as ATY_init. Only works of course for cards that are "included" in Chameleon-AsereBLN/PC_EFI10.6 Graphics Enabling code..(such as 4870).

PCIRootUID =1 is needed only if:
a) You do not have a DSDT (with "correctly defined" info on GFX address); if you have DSDT then Chameleon finds out about ID=1 from the DSDT.
b) Your MB does not use the "default" of ID=0, but uses 1. Most (all recent?) GB MB's have ID=1.

thank you for your explanation!

I reinstalled the graphic update and now everything seems to work fine.. will see in the next couple of hours/days what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back