Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I bought this Atheros wifi card off Amazon and put it into my Probook 4530s i3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092JZD5C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was accepted in the BIOS, but when I boot from the USB and install Mountain Lion (latest version from App Store), it doesn't give me the option of Wifi when asking how my computer connects to the internet.

Then, once I installed Unibeast and selected items from MultiBeast and restarted, I still can't add wifi to my network options, just Ethernet and a few other ones. Right now I'm connected using the Ethernet, but obviously I want to get wifi working.

I've had considerable trouble finding the "right" Atheros wifi card to install...I tried one before this and it was rejected by the BIOS. This one is accepted, but for some reason not accepted by Mountain Lion.

What should I check / try in order to get this wifi working? I haven't found much documentation on getting the wifi to work, at least nothing that worked for me. Can anyone point me to the exact chip I should install, if mine isn't the right one?

Thanks so much!!moun

I bought this Atheros wifi card off Amazon and put it into my Probook 4530s i3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092JZD5C/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was accepted in the BIOS, but when I boot from the USB and install Mountain Lion (latest version from App Store), it doesn't give me the option of Wifi when asking how my computer connects to the internet.

That is normal. There is no WiFi support at that point.

Then, once I installed Unibeast and selected items from MultiBeast and restarted, I still can't add wifi to my network options, just Ethernet and a few other ones. Right now I'm connected using the Ethernet, but obviously I want to get wifi working.

I've had considerable trouble finding the "right" Atheros wifi card to install...I tried one before this and it was rejected by the BIOS. This one is accepted, but for some reason not accepted by Mountain Lion.

What should I check / try in order to get this wifi working? I haven't found much documentation on getting the wifi to work, at least nothing that worked for me. Can anyone point me to the exact chip I should install, if mine isn't the right one?

We don't use Multibeast on the ProBook. Start over and please follow the "stick guide" at the top of this forum.

Thanks for the reply, RehabMan.

I miss-spoke. I actually used the Probook installer. I followed the sticky guide from this forum. I installed probook installer with the options mentioned, and then when I restarted, my wifi didn't work, so I also installed a few items from multibeast.

So, basically, I followed the guide letter by letter and when I restarted, after installing probook installer, my wifi still didn't show up in my network settings.

Is the wifi card I linked to definitely the one I want? Any other ideas besides starting over? I've done the installl process like 4 or 5 times now, though with different wifi cards before.

Thanks for the reply, RehabMan.

I miss-spoke. I actually used the Probook installer. I followed the sticky guide from this forum. I installed probook installer with the options mentioned, and then when I restarted, my wifi didn't work, so I also installed a few items from multibeast.

So, basically, I followed the guide letter by letter and when I restarted, after installing probook installer, my wifi still didn't show up in my network settings.

Is the wifi card I linked to definitely the one I want? Any other ideas besides starting over? I've done the installl process like 4 or 5 times now, though with different wifi cards before.

Post your ioreg: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/58368-guide-how-make-copy-ioreg.html

IOReg file attached

Attachments

• missmarple’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    1.5 MB · Views: 200
IOReg file attached

According to your ioreg, you do not have an Atheros card installed in your laptop. Device ID is 10ec,8176. I'm pretty sure 10ec is Realtek.

I'm a tad embarrassed. I had two wifi cards sitting on the table and one in the computer. I took out the one in the computer (which was another Atheros card that didn't work) and then accidentally put the original Realtek card back in, instead of the new Atheros card.

Agghh!

I put in the new one and it worked perfectly, it recognized it on startup and asked about setting up wifi.

Thank you RehabMan for catching my bonehead mistake.

I'm a tad embarrassed. I had two wifi cards sitting on the table and one in the computer. I took out the one in the computer (which was another Atheros card that didn't work) and then accidentally put the original Realtek card back in, instead of the new Atheros card.

Agghh!

I put in the new one and it worked perfectly, it recognized it on startup and asked about setting up wifi.

Thank you RehabMan for catching my bonehead mistake.

LOL... I figured it was something like that... Glad you have it figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back