Contribute
Register

Atheros was dropped in Mojave - What is the Fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elitedesk 800 G1 TOWER
CPU
I5-4590
Graphics
RX560
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Just upgraded from High Sierra to Majave in my HP Elitebook 800 G1. GPU AMD RX560 works. Bluetooth dongle needs to re-injected the patched kext again.
But Wi-Fi Atheros 9280 card is not working under Mojave. I think Apple dropped the support from Majave. I replace with Edimax EW-7833UAC, used the website driver for OSX. It works now.
Rest of hardwares seem to work fine. Still testing now.

Just upgraded from High Sierra to Majave in my HP Elitebook 800 G1. GPU AMD RX560 works. Bluetooth dongle needs to re-injected the patched kext again.
But Wi-Fi Atheros 9280 card is not working under Mojave. I think Apple dropped the support from Majave. I replace with Edimax EW-7833UAC, used the website driver for OSX. It works now.
Rest of hardwares seem to work fine. Still testing now.

Atheros was dropped but you can roll back the Kext. Use High Sierra WiFi kext and rebuild caches.

Atheros was dropped but you can roll back the Kext. Use High Sierra WiFi kext and rebuild caches.
Hi Gugamaxx,

Thanks for replying. I am a newbie for hacktoish. How can I download or roll back High Sierra WiFi kext and rebuild catches?
After finished installation, Atheros 9280 still can see the system but has been turn off, can not turn on.

Thank you so much

Hi Gugamaxx,

Thanks for replying. I am a newbie for hacktoish. How can I download or roll back High Sierra WiFi kext and rebuild catches?
After finished installation, Atheros 9280 still can see the system but has been turn off, can not turn on.

Thank you so much

IO80211Familykext Mojave w:Atheros.zip. KextBeast.zip

Here you go. Open the folder and place the kext on your desktop. Make sure its the only kext on your desktop and use KextBeast to install it. Choose System/Library/Extensions as destination folder, not Library/Extensions.

You can also install it manually by dragging it to the System/Library/Extensions folder and use the "Authenticate and replace" prompts. Just make sure to repair permisisons and rebuild caches. You can do this using terminal or a kext repair tool like Kext Wizard.

I took the AirportAtheroskext40 (bottom window) from the High Sierra IO80211Familykext
"plugins" folder and placed it in the Mojave IO80211Familykext (top window). I tested it on this boot as I switched out my BCRM4360 card for the N900 and it works. So its the Mojave kext with the Atheros sub kext added. SEE PIC BELOW.

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 6.28.25 PM.png

KextBeast choose this System/Library/Extensions option. *****Remember to only have this IO80211 kext on the desktop. This tool will load all the kexts on the desktop.

KextBeast.png

Good Luck!

Attachments

• IO80211Familykext Mojave w:Atheros.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 989
  • KextBeast.zip
    325.6 KB · Views: 624
Last edited:
Thank you so much. I will work tonight and update the result.
I don't like the USB wireless card especially from Realtek or Mediatek(Ralink). Compared with speed and reliability, Atheros and Broadcom have better performance and connection. I have Atheros 9280 card for a long time. I used to put in my imac and never have connection dropped issue.
I am a newbie for hacktoish. When I upgraded High Sierra to Majove, I should follow the instructions to back up the kext folder before I upgraded it!

Thank you so much for helping again.

Last edited:
Please can you add the directory structure for the move of Airport Atheroskext40 in your screenshots? I’m a bit confused where your moving from and to.

I was just explaining it, all you need to do is download the kext and kextbeast and install it to S/L/Extensions folder.

What is did was go to S/L/Extensions folder of High Sierra selected the IO80211Familykext, right clicked and selected “show package contents”. The Contents folder appears open it and then open plugins folder. That is where the Atheros40kext is. I just copied that an placed it in the same plugins folder of the Mojave kext plugins folder.

I did this and now my Mojave OS will not boot. Just endless reboot cycle now.

EDIT: Fixed, was related to booting from my USB as apposed to being ready to boot from the SSD.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back