Contribute
Register

Atheros AR9485 driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kpkp , if you Google mini pci-e pinout you will see which connectors do what.You should be able to stick a bit of tape over some of them so only the usb ones connect .

Pete

edit.... I see there are 2 vcc. connectors (supply voltage 3.5v) could it be as simple as isolating one of these? Ie. 1 supplies the wifi module and the other powers the usb device?
That sure sounds like a simple and safe solution, because putting your faith in notebooks BIOS settings, will disappoint you more often then not.

Anyways, I found this scheme:
oQxmT.png
This should give us an idea where to start, probably there are other options too as you say, cutting power off...
Then we only need one of this adapters to make the install solid:
$(KGrHqZ,!hcE9dy96vlTBPwSwlDs,Q~~60_3.JPG
EDIT:
I just ordered an used AR5B93, got it for 4.65 pounds so i couldn't resist the temptation, fingers crossed.

I've ordered a socket for my laptop, I was initially disappointed about not having this fitted originally (tight fisted bu**ers), but thinking about it, fitting it myself means I can connect it just with the connections I want to use. Its been a while since I've waved a soldering iron about in anger, so, I might need to wait a few days before going for it :D

The socket, (incase anyone else without the wwan port wants to join the Guinea Pig brigade) is here ..............http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-PCI-...Components_InterfaceCards&hash=item19d85f7b00

Pete

Great little project Pete, will you use it for the Atheros AR9485 BT like me (or you have other plans, we low level Guinea Pigs can't comprehend :D), would be nice to have a team of Guinea Pigs trying to tape the best pin combination. I am waiting for my replacement wi-fi to arrive then i can join the team.

Do you know what pins you will solder and what "leave hanging"?

That sure sounds like a simple and safe solution, because putting your faith in notebooks BIOS settings, will disappoint you more often then not.

Anyways, I found this scheme:
View attachment 44284
This should give us an idea where to start, probably there are other options too as you say, cutting power off...
Then we only need one of this adapters to make the install solid:
View attachment 44286
EDIT:
I just ordered an used AR5B93, got it for 4.65 pounds so i couldn't resist the temptation, fingers crossed.

could you pls post a link to the pinout chart that you attached? even when i enlarge the thumbnail, i can't make out the info.

i have a stock wifi/bluetooth chip in my 4530s and i need to disable BT. it is competing for a BT mouse from a neighboring computer.

thansk

ken

Just click another time after you enlarge it ;).

As fitting a whole connector slot is going to be a very fiddly job, why not just use the +v, GND and 2 USB lines? You could maybe find it easier to just solder an original Apple bluetooth module (like here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/customiza...ed-bluetooth-module-usb-hub-solved-sleep.html) and use the 3.5v connection. This way you just solder 4 tiny wires to 4 tiny pads.

Just a thought as I am sure one of the BT notebook modules from a Mac would easily fit the space and might be a simpler mod.

I am thinking about doing that as it takes advantage of not using up a valuable regular USB slot and I happen to have an Apple BT unit somewhere in my spares box. I'm going to need a smaller soldering tip though!

Hi peeps,

The AR9285 arrived so I tried it out and it works fine (no bios blacklisting errors) in Linux and Windows apart from not detecting all local wifi routers, (which I reckon is because its a USA version and doesn't have full European/UK channel allocation) but I got a wrong signature error in Mac OS which I suspect is because it wasn't fitted at setup time??????

Pete

Hi peeps,

... but I got a wrong signature error in Mac OS which I suspect is because it wasn't fitted at setup time??????

Pete

I doubt it. As far as I know, OS X does no customization of the HDD image based on what it sees at setup time.

"wrong signature error" ??

As fitting a whole connector slot is going to be a very fiddly job, why not just use the +v, GND and 2 USB lines? You could maybe find it easier to just solder an original Apple bluetooth module (like here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/customiza...ed-bluetooth-module-usb-hub-solved-sleep.html) and use the 3.5v connection. This way you just solder 4 tiny wires to 4 tiny pads.

Just a thought as I am sure one of the BT notebook modules from a Mac would easily fit the space and might be a simpler mod.

I am thinking about doing that as it takes advantage of not using up a valuable regular USB slot and I happen to have an Apple BT unit somewhere in my spares box. I'm going to need a smaller soldering tip though!

Hi,

I did think about just connecting a module directly, but I'm thinking long term when a Mac compatible wifi/BT card will be available, or I need a wwan card and need somewhere to fit it.

To be honest I don't normally use Bluetooth at all and the tiny usb stick seems to work OK.

Pete

EDIT....... "normal" USB supply voltage is 5v so connecting something designed for a "normal" 5v supply might cause other issues and/or damage to the 3.5v supply line? Be careful guys, smoking laptops ain't what we're aiming for!

Hi peeps,

The AR9285 arrived so I tried it out and it works fine (no bios blacklisting errors) in Linux and Windows apart from not detecting all local wifi routers, (which I reckon is because its a USA version and doesn't have full European/UK channel allocation) but I got a wrong signature error in Mac OS which I suspect is because it wasn't fitted at setup time??????

Pete
You need to fix the device id in the kext or use the dsdt patch from the 4x30s series, i would guess. But isn't the other one better anyways?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back