Contribute
Register

Atheros AR9485 driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,
Im new to mac os x ....i successfully insatalled mac os on my hp dv6 (i7-267qm, 4gb, intel hd 300graphics,Motherboard Chipset intel HM65, Intel Sandy Bridge) my wifi is intel centrino n1030 and it does not work .. I have a question , if AR5B93 wifi card will work in my laptop ?? my motherboard would accept it.

sorry for bad english and any help would be much appreciated

It depends if your laptop implements a white-list and whether that card is on its white-list.

@kpkp , if you Google mini pci-e pinout you will see which connectors do what.You should be able to stick a bit of tape over some of them so only the usb ones connect .

Pete

edit.... I see there are 2 vcc. connectors (supply voltage 3.5v) could it be as simple as isolating one of these? Ie. 1 supplies the wifi module and the other powers the usb device?

Thnx for replying...I dont know what is the white-list ?? can you find me any link, where i can check please.. my laptop is HP PAVILION DV6-6169tx with these specs http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02981968
any help would be much appreciated .

It is where the BIOS is coded to reject cards that HP hasn't specifically allowed. Thus white list (opposite of black list). You would have to google to see if your laptop uses one. Obviously, HP isn't going out of its way to document white list, or other details about their BIOS.

It is where the BIOS is coded to reject cards that HP hasn't specifically allowed. Thus white list (opposite of black list). You would have to google to see if your laptop uses one. Obviously, HP isn't going out of its way to document white list, or other details about their BIOS.

ok....is there any method to remove the white list limitations and use any wifi card ??? it could be annoying for you , but any help to get my wifi working on mac osx would be a great help....

ok....is there any method to remove the white list limitations and use any wifi card ??? it could be annoying for you , but any help to get my wifi working on mac osx would be a great help....

I don't think there is at this point.

I don't think there is at this point.

ok, I will be visting market tomorrow and will check different chips by some technician there if they work...let you know then if i had any luck .
and in drivers section of my laptop, Broadcom and Ralink drivers are also avaiable to download , means some laptops also ship with these cards and from that list i checked, most of Broadcom's and one form Ralink works with mac OS.Finger crossed until I check and confirm tomrrow .

This is a repeat, not to be rude, but I am trying to get everything in place with the least pain and the most thought before I take the plunge...

...If someone (RehabMan, Mad_Sunday..) would be kind enough to respond to the question below, it will save me a lot of pain when things get stuck. I really don't want to start right back from the beginning over and over again, it will put me off (that isn't to say that restarting from the middle lot's of times will be fine, but at least I won't feel I have got nowhere all the time).

QUESTION FOR THE KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE

If I start with the AR9485 and change to an AR9285 after starting a ML install, will this cause real trouble (i.e. back to start) or is this easily rectified without Kernel Faults or other show stoppers . More importantly, I have yet to find what to do when ML gets stuck at a KP or anything else. Do I use MultiBoot or some other tool to get back into ML to fiddle or is it back to square one? Can anyone comment on a general strategy and what I will experience when things don't go to plan and there is a lock-up, a blank screen, etc? Even when I suceed, were I to go for an in-place upgrade (to the 10.8.3) I expect things will at some point grind to a halt, so again I need to know (and so will lots of other newbies) what I will see and how I should respond for the least pain.

In anticipation of someone/anyone answering this, thanks!

This is a repeat, not to be rude, but I am trying to get everything in place with the least pain and the most thought before I take the plunge...

...If someone (RehabMan, Mad_Sunday..) would be kind enough to respond to the question below, it will save me a lot of pain when things get stuck. I really don't want to start right back from the beginning over and over again, it will put me off (that isn't to say that restarting from the middle lot's of times will be fine, but at least I won't feel I have got nowhere all the time).

QUESTION FOR THE KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE

If I start with the AR9485 and change to an AR9285 after starting a ML install, will this cause real trouble (i.e. back to start) or is this easily rectified without Kernel Faults or other show stoppers . More importantly, I have yet to find what to do when ML gets stuck at a KP or anything else. Do I use MultiBoot or some other tool to get back into ML to fiddle or is it back to square one? Can anyone comment on a general strategy and what I will experience when things don't go to plan and there is a lock-up, a blank screen, etc? Even when I suceed, were I to go for an in-place upgrade (to the 10.8.3) I expect things will at some point grind to a halt, so again I need to know (and so will lots of other newbies) what I will see and how I should respond for the least pain.

In anticipation of someone/anyone answering this, thanks!

I don't think changing the wifi card will require a re-install...

As for the other part of your question about what to do when an action you take on your install goes bad: You need to understand what you're doing to your install. For example, what specifically a given option in Multibeast or Probook installer does... does it install a new kext? does it install a patched kext over an existing one? does it install new files in /Extra or somewhere else? Once you know what the options do, you can be prepared to undo them. To discover what things do, you either read documentation that describes them, or you look at the package in Pacifist (or both) and see where the files are going and what scripts are running in the package and what they do. If you're installing kexts via Kext Wizard, you know it is adding/replacing files in /System/Library/Extensions... Then you can plan to make backups for restoration later and/or be prepared to delete what was added. Of course, usually you then have to do such actions from another (working) install or by using Terminal by booting with the Unibeast USB. So, you need to have some knowledge of Terminal to go that route.

If you don't know what you're doing, you can make backups of your entire partition, so in the case of a bad change, you can restore the whole partition. Disk Utility can create disk images, and TimeMachine works for partition restores too.

As far as future OS X updates, you should probably wait for instructions from people here. When they come out, we'll look at the update in Pacifist to determine what might be the trouble spots and come up with ways to deal with them.

I don't think changing the wifi card will require a re-install...

As for the other part of your question about what to do when an action you take on your install goes bad: You need to understand what you're doing to your install. For example, what specifically a given option in Multibeast or Probook installer does... does it install a new kext? does it install a patched kext over an existing one? does it install new files in /Extra or somewhere else? Once you know what the options do, you can be prepared to undo them. To discover what things do, you either read documentation that describes them, or you look at the package in Pacifist (or both) and see where the files are going and what scripts are running in the package and what they do. If you're installing kexts via Kext Wizard, you know it is adding/replacing files in /System/Library/Extensions... Then you can plan to make backups for restoration later and/or be prepared to delete what was added. Of course, usually you then have to do such actions from another (working) install or by using Terminal by booting with the Unibeast USB. So, you need to have some knowledge of Terminal to go that route.

If you don't know what you're doing, you can make backups of your entire partition, so in the case of a bad change, you can restore the whole partition. Disk Utility can create disk images, and TimeMachine works for partition restores too.

As far as future OS X updates, you should probably wait for instructions from people here. When they come out, we'll look at the update in Pacifist to determine what might be the trouble spots and come up with ways to deal with them.

Fantastic, just what I wanted, the key was the word "terminal" in your post. It will need some reading and familiarizing, but fundamentally I can cope with a Unix-like CLI. That one word was the magic ingredient I was unaware of (from MultiBeast). Brilliant & thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back