Contribute
Register

Atheros AR9485 driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, naive "guinea pigs" are always welcome to contribute, let us know if it works or if it is "black listed". Your experiment is mostly appreciated.

Thanks for your endorsement and appreciation, (mostly? wtf lol) but just in case, I've also ordered the AR5B93 card too. Both these are discussed above as possible replacements, I take it you disagree (mostly :lol:) with those recommendations?

Pete

Your friendly Guinea Pig brings good news, I'm still awaiting the AR9285 card to arrive from the states, BUT, the AR5B93 card arrived today and is in and RUNNING in Linux without issue!!!! (£6 including p&p on ebay and a 5 minute fit).

Working fine in Windows 7 too, but, it found the device OK, found the drivers OK, installed the drivers and then crashed! (lol) and rebooted with the "or start windows normally" error screen. I just hit the enter key (start normally) and it booted fine, and the wifi was up and running. I've rebooted it several times and its working ok. I suspect it was just a glitch?

Bottom line, I'm mostly happy :thumbup:

Pete

Your friendly Guinea Pig brings good news, I'm still awaiting the AR9485 card to arrive from the states, BUT, the AR5B93 card arrived today and is in and RUNNING in Linux without issue!!!! (£6 including p&p on ebay and a 5 minute fit).

I'll test it in Windows 7 and report here again with an edit.

Bottom line, I'm mostly happy :thumbup:

Pete
What is your bootloader setup? Specifically, do you have /Extra/modules folder with Fanreset.dylib file in it?
Also, did you see any warnings during boot like "702 card unsupported" etc. after the swap?

I'm running Linux Mint 14 and Windows 7 with the grub bootloader, NO mac install attempted yet (I wanted to get all the hardware sorted first) apart from a virtual box install in Linux ready to make my install USB stick. I'm a REAL mac/hackintosh newbie so waiting for a howto before taking the plunge.

I saw NO error messages reported from the bios when it booted.

Pete

Card spec here (the one I have is from an Acer Ferrari One) http://www.sartatek.com/product-p/ar5b93.htm

I'm running Linux Mint 14 and Windows 7 with the grub bootloader, NO mac install attempted yet (I wanted to get all the hardware sorted first) apart from a virtual box install in Linux ready to make my install USB stick. I'm a REAL mac/hackintosh newbie so waiting for a howto before taking the plunge.

I saw NO error messages reported from the bios when it booted.

Pete

Card spec here (the one I have is from an Acer Ferrari One) http://www.sartatek.com/product-p/ar5b93.htm
I'm very surprised to hear about HP Probook not using whitelist. I've got couple cards from different vendors to test when my new toy arrives.
Btw. which BIOS version are you running?

Running f31 ie. the newer one.

Pete

Running f31 ie. the newer one.

Pete

I guess you like me are now waiting for an install description for OSX as a whole before we know whether the two cards you have purchased and apparently are not blacklisted work on 10.8.2?

I guess you like me are now waiting for an install description for OSX as a whole before we know whether the two cards you have purchased and apparently are not blacklisted work on 10.8.2?

No I'm tired of waiting so now I seem to have the hardware something like I'm going for it. I'm having issues making the USB stick with the virtual mac but going to have another bash at it tonight. Maybe we can share notes?

Pete

Certainly I will collaborate. On the Wifi/BT card front and the installation in general. I am getting in an AR9285, like you. I hope it isn't blacklisted. Your success with the other card that is not on the whitelist suggests that this should be workable. In the event it does not, my fallback is two Belkin mini USB sticks that are supposedly ML compatible (F7D1102az & F8T016, respectively). Unelegant but should work.

On the general front, switch to the HP Probook 4540s (http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/55473-hp-probook-4540s-30.html) thread that you have also been posting at, andwait for my next post. Your system and mine share enough similarity to make it worthwhile. At present, my wifi card remains as the AR9485 and it may be sensible to wait until I get the AR2985. Not sure on that yet.

QUESTION FOR THE KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE

If I start with the AR9485 and change to an AR9485 after starting a ML install, wiull this cause real trouble (i.e. back to start) or is this easily rectified without Kernel Faults or otehr show stoppers. More importantly, I have yet to find what to do when ML gets stuck at a KP or anything else. Do I use MultiBoot or some other tool to get back into ML to fiddle or is it back to square one?

Also, you have the 2310M while I have the 2450M and while I will need the Sandy Bridge patch (http://www.tonymacx86.com/articles/...erboards-hd-4000-6-series-motherboards-7.html), you will not.

Otherwise, we are the same I think.

To start things off, in the other forum I am going to ask for the latest filesets from ReHabMan and Zoltankr. If they oblige, we can start from a common base with the most up to date files.

Oops that should have read start with AR9485 and move to AR9285 of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back