Contribute
Register

ASUS Zenbook UX305 compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.
So whenever I remove the drivers that show automatically loads by following vinz0r instructions, and then I edited my dsdt to match his, however whenever I do that I get kernel panic and can't boot
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. First, you have to disable Apple I2C driver by renaming it (instructed in the guide). Second, you need to install the I2C kext by a kext installer (Kext wizard, for example). Finally, you meed to patch your DSDT. Don't just "copy and paste". You have to find which block it is then modify it like the examples.

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. First, you have to disable Apple I2C driver by renaming it (instructed in the guide). Second, you need to install the I2C kext by a kext installer (Kext wizard, for example). Finally, you meed to patch your DSDT. Don't just "copy and paste". You have to find which block it is then modify it like the examples.

yes, That is what i did... at first i changed my dsdt manually i didnt copy and paste, then i installed i2C kexy with kext wizard, but as soon as i reboot a get a kernel panic.... So i i removed the i2c kext and I can boot again.... I also try to temporary load the I2C kext to see if i can see the changes in IORegistry but nothing, even when i manually rename the Apple I2C by following the instructions.

yes, That is what i did... at first i changed my dsdt manually i didnt copy and paste, then i installed i2C kexy with kext wizard, but as soon as i reboot a get a kernel panic.... So i i removed the i2c kext and I can boot again.... I also try to temporary load the I2C kext to see if i can see the changes in IORegistry but nothing, even when i manually rename the Apple I2C by following the instructions.
According to what you said, i think you didn't do it correctly. You need to do it ORDERLY and EXACTLY as i said. If you don't know how to patch your DSDT, you can post it here to look for some help.

According to what you said, i think you didn't do it correctly. You need to do it ORDERLY and EXACTLY as i said. If you don't know how to patch your DSDT, you can post it here to look for some help.
Here is my EFI Folder if you can take a look.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.1 MB · Views: 118
Hello Rehabman, I was hoping you could assist me in determining how I could fix a little issue I keep running into on my UX305CA hackintosh you helped me work on last month. I don't recall having this issue with 10.11.5 but it was when I updated to 10.11.6 that I noticed my sound started having issues:

1. When I run my laptop in El Capitan, everything works perfectly.
2. I restart my computer and boot into Windows 10 (Same HDD as my El Capitan Installation, Different partition).
3. Everything in Windows 10 works perfectly.
4. I reboot back into El Capitan, and my sound no longer works at all. Everything else, except sound, works perfectly.
5. In order to get my sound to start working again I have to do the following set of steps:
Mount my EFI and edit my config.plist by changing the following values:
<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x67</string> change to <string>0x3</string>
I change the value to 0x3 (SIP Partially Disabled)
6. I reboot my computer, load El Capitan, and of course my laptop will not boot El Capitan and crashes.
7. I hard reset my laptop by pressing the power button all the way until the device is completely turned off.
8. I turn the laptop back on and wait for the Clover Menu to appear.
9. I then manually go in the Clover Boot Menu and change the CsrActiveConfig 0x3 back to 0x67 and proceed to boot back into El Capitan.
10. My sound is back up and running like normal.
11. I then have to go and load my EFI, then config.plist and change my CsrActiveConfig back to 0x67 so it will be saved in my config.plist once again.
<string>0x67</string>

I have to follow these steps in this exact order for my sound to work again. Basically anytime I boot into Windows 10 and then back into El Capitan, it takes like 4 min to get through all these steps in order for my sound to start working again. It is just an annoyance and I can't understand how 0x67 SIP completely disabled would have to be changed back to 0x3 and then back to 0x67 in order for the sound to remain on.

I am trying to figure out how and why Windows would alter the SIP settings for my loaded kexts?

I haven't seen or read anyone else dealing with a sound issue similar to this or how they fixed it so I didn't know if you had any suggestions to try?

Thanks for your help,

Hello Rehabman, I was hoping you could assist me in determining how I could fix a little issue I keep running into on my UX305CA hackintosh you helped me work on last month. I don't recall having this issue with 10.11.5 but it was when I updated to 10.11.6 that I noticed my sound started having issues:

1. When I run my laptop in El Capitan, everything works perfectly.
2. I restart my computer and boot into Windows 10 (Same HDD as my El Capitan Installation, Different partition).
3. Everything in Windows 10 works perfectly.
4. I reboot back into El Capitan, and my sound no longer works at all. Everything else, except sound, works perfectly.
5. In order to get my sound to start working again I have to do the following set of steps:
Mount my EFI and edit my config.plist by changing the following values:
<string>0x67</string> change to <string>0x3</string>
I change the value to 0x3 (SIP Partially Disabled)
6. I reboot my computer, load El Capitan, and of course my laptop will not boot El Capitan and crashes.
7. I hard reset my laptop by pressing the power button all the way until the device is completely turned off.
8. I turn the laptop back on and wait for the Clover Menu to appear.
9. I then manually go in the Clover Boot Menu and change the CsrActiveConfig 0x3 back to 0x67 and proceed to boot back into El Capitan.
10. My sound is back up and running like normal.
11. I then have to go and load my EFI, then config.plist and change my CsrActiveConfig back to 0x67 so it will be saved in my config.plist once again.
<string>0x67</string>

I have to follow these steps in this exact order for my sound to work again. Basically anytime I boot into Windows 10 and then back into El Capitan, it takes like 4 min to get through all these steps in order for my sound to start working again. It is just an annoyance and I can't understand how 0x67 SIP completely disabled would have to be changed back to 0x3 and then back to 0x67 in order for the sound to remain on.

I am trying to figure out how and why Windows would alter the SIP settings for my loaded kexts?

I haven't seen or read anyone else dealing with a sound issue similar to this or how they fixed it so I didn't know if you had any suggestions to try?

Thanks for your help,

Try just doing cold boot without all the SIP setting changes.

Try just doing cold boot without all the SIP setting changes.

ok I tried it like you said and it works fine now. So when switching from Windows 10 back to El Capitan, I have to shut down the computer completely first then turn it on to boot into El Capitan.

Thank you for your help. I didn't realize it would be something so simple lol.

Just posting in here about my experiences with a UX305LA on OSX 10.11.5, which I've been using for two months from this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-asus-zenbook-ux305fa-for-el-capitan.185917/

Software
I've yet to encounter any issues installing any software, which includes some Adobe Creative Suite programs, Sketch, Steam, Slack, Sublime, Unity.

Hardware
I've used a Magic Mouse 2 with the device with full functionality and am currently using a Magic Trackpad 2.
Wifi options will have its own section below.

Wifi
Everywhere I've read has said the wireless card is soldered into this model so I haven't even checked. This does leave it rather limited for wifi options.
1. Edimax EW-7711MAC USB dongle
2. HoRNDIS USB tethering driver for Android devices

The Edimax EW-7711MAC is, to my knowledge, the only dongle with an El Capitan driver. This model works without a bother and the UI, while not very pretty, does provide quite a bit of detail about the available networks and I've found that handy. HOWEVER it only works with 5GHz networks, which is to say the odds are much higher that a random network will not work with this dongle. With that in mind, it's fairly expensive (around $16) for a not guaranteed solution, fine for home use but not for moving about.
I've read some reports of an older cheaper Edimax USB dongle working on El Capitan too with older drivers, so that might be worth looking into.

The HoRNDIS USB tethering driver for android devices has worked pretty consistently for me. HoRNDIS-rel8pre2-dbg.pkg is the version I've been using (check on its github for setup suggestions from other hackintosh users). Having a smartphone hanging out of your laptop isn't ideal on a bus or train but it's a free option that I've found to work with absolutely no issues so that's hard to complain about.

Issues I've encountered
1. On a sparse few occasions, the device failed to boot but it's been so uncommon and easily resolved (turn it off and on again :D ) that it hasn't bothered me at all.
2. When adjusting the screen brightness away from the specified levels when not connected to a power source, if I let the computer go to sleep it'll lock on whatever brightness setting it was on. If I used Fn+f7 to turn off the screen before it went to sleep, there's a risk it will lock on this. By connecting to a power source, the screen brightness will switch to lock on the default brightness for that scenario instead.
3. Occasionally, when idle, the computer restarts instead of going to sleep. I'm not sure what's up there but it has never occured at a time where it has been an issue (I think it's only happened when I've powered on, signed in and then left idle before doing anything else) so I haven't given it much thought.
4. Shutting down sometimes seems to take a long time (~2 minutes) without much feedback as to what's up
5. Sometimes when the UI states the volume is muted, it actually isn't. I believe this is when it powers on when the audio had been set as muted before shutting down. Solution: unmute (fn+f12) and mute again.

Last edited:
Just posting in here about my experiences with a UX305LA on OSX 10.11.5, which I've been using for two months from this guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-asus-zenbook-ux305fa-for-el-capitan.185917/

Software
I've yet to encounter any issues installing any software, which includes some Adobe Creative Suite programs, Sketch, Steam, Slack, Sublime, Unity.

Hardware
I've used a Magic Mouse 2 with the device with full functionality and am currently using a Magic Trackpad 2.
Wifi options will have its own section below.

Wifi
Everywhere I've read has said the wireless card is soldered into this model so I haven't even checked. This does leave it rather limited for wifi options.
1. Edimax EW-7711MAC USB dongle
2. HoRNDIS USB tethering driver for Android devices

The Edimax EW-7711MAC is, to my knowledge, the only dongle with an El Capitan driver. This model works without a bother and the UI, while not very pretty, does provide quite a bit of detail about the available networks and I've found that handy. HOWEVER it only works with 5GHz networks, which is to say the odds are much higher that a random network will not work with this dongle. With that in mind, it's fairly expensive (around $16) for a not guaranteed solution, fine for home use but not for moving about.
I've read some reports of an older cheaper Edimax USB dongle working on El Capitan too with older drivers, so that might be worth looking into.

The HoRNDIS USB tethering driver for android devices has worked pretty consistently for me. HoRNDIS-rel8pre2-dbg.pkg is the version I've been using (check on its github for setup suggestions from other hackintosh users). Having a smartphone hanging out of your laptop isn't ideal on a bus or train but it's a free option that I've found to work with absolutely no issues so that's hard to complain about.

Issues I've encountered
1. On a sparse few occasions, the device failed to boot but it's been so uncommon and easily resolved (turn it off and on again :D ) that it hasn't bothered me at all.
2. When adjusting the screen brightness away from the specified levels when not connected to a power source, if I let the computer go to sleep it'll lock on whatever brightness setting it was on. If I used Fn+f7 to turn off the screen before it went to sleep, there's a risk it will lock on this. By connecting to a power source, the screen brightness will switch to lock on the default brightness for that scenario instead.
3. Occasionally, when idle, the computer restarts instead of going to sleep. I'm not sure what's up there but it has never occured at a time where it has been an issue (I think it's only happened when I've powered on, signed in and then left idle before doing anything else) so I haven't given it much thought.
4. Shutting down sometimes seems to take a long time (~2 minutes) without much feedback as to what's up
5. Sometimes when the UI states the volume is muted, it actually isn't. I believe this is when it powers on when the audio had been set as muted before shutting down. Solution: unmute (fn+f12) and mute again.

How did you get the battery reader working? Mine is stuck at 0%, and no matter what I try, it's not changing. I have the same laptop, so hopefully whatever you did can work for me. Also, did you get the trackpad working? It's I2C, so the guide you linked to doesn't work. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back