Contribute
Register

ASUS Zenbook UX305 compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.
After doing further research it seems the ssd,battery and wifi can be swapped out very easily by removing the bottom panel. Seems to only require a torx screwdriver. This means we can literally match the new macbook spec for spec with ease.

I thought 'with ease' would mean not having to swap out such. Or are you saying 'Wifi' typically doesn't work in laptop Hackintosh scenarios and so swapping components and such are a must?

On a sidenote does anyone notice the matte coating makes the screen grainy on light images or is mine defective?

I wouldn't describe it as grainy. But I did notice something kinda fuzzy going on in general. If that helps.

I thought 'with ease' would mean not having to swap out such. Or are you saying 'Wifi' typically doesn't work in laptop Hackintosh scenarios and so swapping components and such are a must?

Battery and SSD will not pose a problem.

WiFi typically requires replacement. OS X has very limited support for only the WiFi devices that Apple uses.

Battery and SSD will not pose a problem.

WiFi typically requires replacement. OS X has very limited support for only the WiFi devices that Apple uses.

Thanks. That's reassuring.

I'm considering returning this unit because of the fun Windows surprises I've been encountering --

1. Remove preinstalled McAfee, update Adobe, and Adobe shoves McAfee back on the system. :banghead:

2. Can't use Volume Up/Down or Brightness Up/Down without hitting combo-function keys. I've been told this is normal, which is odd, because in a store I got Dell and Acer and HP to do all these functions with one key. o_O

3. I transferred Mac 'office' files to this unit. Each time I open one I get 'Sure you want to open this mysterious file?'. Each time. So I check button which says 'stop asking' and it ignores me. Check'd Google to make sure it wasn't user error. It's not. The fix makes hackintoshing sound easy. :rolleyes:

4. Windows peeps have been coming out the closet about restoring partitions. Seems we Mac people are so silly to use Macs... only to learn PC users better maintain restore partitions... OR ELSE. I know Time Machine kinda does this indirectly -- restore a file, restore anything -- but I've never felt the panic thing from Mac OS. :eek:

I can't believe this OS is put on PCs. It's mind-boggling. I've seen better OS performance form elementary OS Freya... which is a beta. :thumbup:

Thanks. That's reassuring.

I'm considering returning this unit because of the fun Windows surprises I've been encountering --

1. Remove preinstalled McAfee, update Adobe, and Adobe shoves McAfee back on the system. :banghead:

Yeah, you have to pay attention to the boxes that might be checked when you do those updates...

2. Can't use Volume Up/Down or Brightness Up/Down without hitting function keys. I've been told this is normal, which is odd, because in a store I got Dell and Acer and HP to do all these functions with one key. o_O

Some BIOSes provide a method to reverse the Fn+F1..F12 for F1..F12. You should check your options.

3. I transferred Mac 'office' files to this unit. Each time I open one I get 'Sure you want to open this mysterious file?'. Each time. So I check button which says 'stop asking' and it ignores me. Check'd Google to make sure it wasn't user error. It's not. The fix makes hackintoshing sound easy. :rolleyes:

Is this on OS X or Windows? If on OS X, visit SysPrefs->Security.

4. Windows peeps have been coming out the closet about restore partitions.

No idea what you're referring to.

I can't believe this OS is put on PCs. It's mind-boggling. I've seen better OS performance form elementary OS Freya... which is a beta. :thumbup:

For what it's worth, I always re-install Windows after I get a new machine. It is the best way to get rid of the crap that OEMs install. The other way is to buy one of the "signature" machines direct from Microsoft. Microsoft sets those machines up without all the junk.

Thanks, but I'm highlighting differences. Typically you don't have to fear a Mac app is slipping another one your way, fix volume/brightness buttons, fix 'security' checkboxes that don't work in OS X, or reinstall/purchase a signature edition Mac.

Thanks, but I'm highlighting differences. Typically you don't have to fear a Mac app is slipping another one your way, fix volume/brightness buttons, fix 'security' checkboxes that don't work in OS X, or reinstall/purchase a signature edition Mac.

All Macs are "signature editions" (loaded with the software Apple intended)...

And Mac apps downloaded from the internet have some of the same issues as do Windows apps. As time goes on, the same ISVs are adopting PC practices (such as tag-along bloatware) with their Mac distributions.

At this point, I'm well-versed in both the Windows and OS X worlds. I find more similarities than differences.

Hi are you able to do notch cutting? if you are can please share the pictures as im also trying to do the same thing.

Never mind, i did the notch cutting. wifi and bluetooth works fine in windows.

Need to test in mac now :)

If you can get the BCM94352Z to fit (notch cutting) and there is no BIOS whitelist issues, then yes, that card is compatible with Yosemite.

You need:
- FakePCIID kexts to enable AirPort Extreme and the Brcm4360 driver
- patch for 5Ghz (best to use Clover hotpatch)
- BrcmPatchRAM for bluetooth firmware upload
- patch for handoff/hotspot (best to use Clover hotpatch)

[UPDATE] when duel booting windows and mac you need to turn off the computer completely , NOT Restart. Now the card works perfectly fine.

Hi i did the notch cutting for BCM94352Z. the card works fine in win8 WIFI + BT

But in mac i can't turn on wifi, but BT works fine.

These are the kexts i installed on Fresh 10.10 installation.

1)FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2.kext
2)FakePCIID.kext
3)BrcmPatchRAM.kext

Should i install Brcm4360 also? and i can't find that kext anywhere

Topsycretss-MBP:~ topsycrets$ system_profiler SPAirPortDataType
Wi-Fi:

Software Versions:
CoreWLAN: 5.0 (500.35.2)
CoreWLANKit: 4.1 (410.37)
Menu Extra: 10.0 (1000.33.2)
System Information: 9.0 (900.9)
IO80211 Family: 7.1 (710.55)
Diagnostics: 4.1 (410.69)
AirPort Utility: 6.3.4 (634.17)
Interfaces:
en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x6626)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.159.13.12)
MAC Address: 24:fd:52:b6:9f:e6
Locale: FCC
Country Code: US
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 132, 136, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Wake On Wireless: Supported
AirDrop: Supported

[UPDATE] when duel booting windows and mac you need to turn off the computer completely , NOT Restart. Now the card works perfectly fine.

Hi i did the notch cutting for BCM94352Z. the card works fine in win8 WIFI + BT

But in mac i can't turn on wifi, but BT works fine.

These are the kexts i installed on Fresh 10.10 installation.

1)FakePCIID_BCM94352Z_as_BCM94360CS2.kext
2)FakePCIID.kext
3)BrcmPatchRAM.kext

Should i install Brcm4360 also? and i can't find that kext anywhere

The kext for this device is provided by the OS X installer.

Topsycretss-MBP:~ topsycrets$ system_profiler SPAirPortDataType
Wi-Fi:

Software Versions:
CoreWLAN: 5.0 (500.35.2)
CoreWLANKit: 4.1 (410.37)
Menu Extra: 10.0 (1000.33.2)
System Information: 9.0 (900.9)
IO80211 Family: 7.1 (710.55)
Diagnostics: 4.1 (410.69)
AirPort Utility: 6.3.4 (634.17)
Interfaces:
en1:
Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x6626)
Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.15.159.13.12)
MAC Address: 24:fd:52:b6:9f:e6
Locale: FCC
Country Code: US
Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 36, 40, 44, 48, 52, 56, 60, 64, 100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 132, 136, 140, 144, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165
Wake On Wireless: Supported
AirDrop: Supported

According to above text, it is working but turned off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back