Contribute
Register

ASUS Zenbook UX305 compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some digging on the wifi card. The card IS separate so its probably unlikely they will use it vs. a broadcom card. Sorry for the confusion there.

I'm new to the PC world. I have no intention of leaving the Mac world, mind you. It's just I needed a 'basic' computer for the wifey and couldn't justify paying $1299 for a gold colored version of this Asus being offered for $699.

Weird but true -- on Amazon this item comes in and the price spikes. I've seen it up to $895. I not only slipped under the wire and got it for $699 but I have Amazon Visa points -- which took off $100. (Thanks to Cal taxes I'm back up a hundred... but still, you know?)

I must tell you this is the first reasonably priced PC laptop I've ever touched that didn't feel like fragile garbage. It's a honey. Once you Classic Shell 8.1 and tweak things here and there -- the OS is tolerable. Just not the least bit awesome in anyway. Those honors are strictly hardware related.

I tried two Linux distros in VirtualBox (eOS Freya and Mint KDE) and... damn it... there's a DPI scaling issue in Linux. As in it don't exist. Which means this incredibly sharp screen makes both distros look about 20 miles away. Sharp as hell but too small for older eyes... of which I have two.

So I eagerly await happenings on this side of the world. I'd have bought the MacBook for $999 at this spec... but Apple is greedy.

After doing further research it seems the ssd,battery and wifi can be swapped out very easily by removing the bottom panel. Seems to only require a torx screwdriver. This means we can literally match the new macbook spec for spec with ease. Which also means this should be relatively easy to hackintosh I hope. On a sidenote does anyone notice the matte coating makes the screen grainy on light images or is mine defective?

After doing further research it seems the ssd,battery and wifi can be swapped out very easily by removing the bottom panel. Seems to only require a torx screwdriver. This means we can literally match the new macbook spec for spec with ease. Which also means this should be relatively easy to hackintosh I hope. On a sidenote does anyone notice the matte coating makes the screen grainy on light images or is mine defective?

What kind of slot does the WiFi fit into?

I believe its mini pci-e. Looks like m.2 with e+a notches. Looks like the the BCM94352Z NGFF can be used but you have to cut the 2nd notch in it.

I believe its mini pci-e. Looks like m.2 with e+a notches. Looks like the the BCM94352Z NGFF can be used but you have to cut the 2nd notch in it.

NGFF is not mini PCIe.

My mistake ngff is new to me and I seemed to have misunderstood what exactly it was. However the broadcom card should work. The intel 7265 has the e+a notches where as the broadcom only has the e notch. Going by the amazon reviews it seem possible to cut the notch yourself.

My mistake ngff is new to me and I seemed to have misunderstood what exactly it was. However the broadcom card should work. The intel 7265 has the e+a notches where as the broadcom only has the e notch. Going by the amazon reviews it seem possible to cut the notch yourself.

If you can get the BCM94352Z to fit (notch cutting) and there is no BIOS whitelist issues, then yes, that card is compatible with Yosemite.

You need:
- FakePCIID kexts to enable AirPort Extreme and the Brcm4360 driver
- patch for 5Ghz (best to use Clover hotpatch)
- BrcmPatchRAM for bluetooth firmware upload
- patch for handoff/hotspot (best to use Clover hotpatch)

Seems asus's don't use a whitelist so we should be home free with this solution. Im hoping apple releases the broadwell update soon.

Seems asus's don't use a whitelist so we should be home free with this solution. Im hoping apple releases the broadwell update soon.

Hi are you able to do notch cutting? if you are can please share the pictures as im also trying to do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back