Contribute
Register

Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW (Skylake i7-6700HQ, GTX 960M)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW
CPU
Skylake i7-6700HQ
Graphics
Intel HD530 + GTX 960M
I could not find yet a single guide for an Asus Skylake laptop.

I followed the Patching Laptop DSDT/SSDT Guide.

I've compiled the latest iasl61 and also copied it to MacIASL. The good news is that the DSDT and all SSDTs extracted and compiled fine with zero errors out of the box.

I was able to apply the following patches:

"Fix _WAK Arg0 v2"
"HPET Fix"
"SMBUS Fix"
"IRQ Fix"
"RTC Fix"
"OS Check Fix" Windows 8
"Fix Mutex with non-zero SyncLevel"
"Add IMEI"
Rename GFX0 to IGPU

The Asus Zenbook Pro UX501VW was not listed for the Asus N555SL/VivoBook battery patch, but the patch was applied and it compiled sucessfully.

Now, for the issues:

1) Rename B0D3 to HDAU comes up empty with nothing to change. Even doing grep -B3 _ADR.*0x00030000 *.dsl comes up empty

2) There doesn't seem to be an Audio layout. With the Audio layout 12, there was nothing to change

3) USB3_PRW 0x0D, USB3_PRW 0x6D, which one? they both seem to be valid

4) My LPC device id is a14e, which is not listed in the 10.11.5 AppleLPC kext. Seems I need Skylake LPC patch, but it gives me 5 errors at compilation.
** EDIT: ** it now compiled fine with zero errors after applying the rename _DSM to XDSM patch.

I've included all original DSDTs/SSDTs.

Attachments

• origin.zip
    74.7 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
1) Rename B0D3 to HDAU comes up empty with nothing to change. Even doing grep -B3 _ADR.*0x00030000 *.dsl comes up empty

No B0D3/HDAU on Skylake. The HDMI/DP codec is on HDAS/HDEF.

2) There doesn't seem to be an Audio layout. With the Audio layout 12, there was nothing to change

Not sure what you mean. You need to rename HDAS->HDEF.

3) USB3_PRW 0x0D, USB3_PRW 0x6D, which one? they both seem to be valid

Depends on original content of your DSDT. It is easy to see from the patch preview.

4) My LPC device id is a14e, which is not listed in the 10.11.5 AppleLPC kext. Seems I need Skylake LPC patch, but it gives me 5 errors at compilation.
** EDIT: ** it now compiled fine with zero errors after applying the rename _DSM to XDSM patch.

As per guide, _DSM->XDSM always required prior to other patches.

Thanks Rehabman. That was quick.

Got it that in Skylake it's HDAS. That part is not mentionned yet in the Laptop DSDT/SSDT Patching Guide. Rename HDAS to HDEF is not yet in the laptop patches either, but I can do a manual find and replace.

Thanks Rehabman. That was quick.

Got it that in Skylake it's HDAS. That part is not mentionned yet in the Laptop DSDT/SSDT Patching Guide. Rename HDAS to HDEF is not yet in the laptop patches either, but I can do a manual find and replace.

Find/Replace is best. I may not add any more patches to the repo for SKL... I'm doing hotpatch for all my systems.

Even though I used the refs.txt when dissassembling, dsdt.dsl reports 9 unresolved methods and SSDT-3.dsl reports 2 unresolved methods.

Do I need to worry about those? My DSDT and SSDTs all compile with zero errors.

Even though I used the refs.txt when dissassembling, dsdt.dsl reports 9 unresolved methods and SSDT-3.dsl reports 2 unresolved methods.

Normal.

Have you been successful getting everything working? I'm thinking of buying this laptop for a hackintosh.

Well, it's has an Intel Core i7 and an Intel Chipset, so, as expected, it boots the El Capitan installer fine, and boots later to the desktop fine, provided that the proper minimal kexts are used, and the Clover configuration is right.

I'm at the optimizing phase. There are quite a few thing that have to be done. Rehabman graciously provided all the guides for that.

Things that don't work so far:

-the M.2 NGFF Intel AC 7265 wireless card. Intel wireless cards have never worked in OS X, ever. I replaced it with the overwhelmingly recommended Dell DW1560 NGFF wireless card, based on the Broadcom BCM4352Z chipset. Rehabman provides the kext and the Clover configuration to get 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, bluetooth and handoff working.

-The Elan trackpad. Unfortunately, it doesn't use the standard PS2 interface, but a newer i2c interface. None of the trackpad kexts work: VoodooPS2Controller, ApplePS2Elantrackpad and ApplePS2SmartTouchpad. None of those work. You have to use a USB mouse for the time being. The keyboard works with VoodooPS2Controller, though.

I haven't tried activating yet the audio, the webcam, the backlight, power management, QE/CI graphics and 4K support.

Last edited:
Please you
Well, it's has an Intel Core i7 and an Intel Chipset, so, as expected, it boots the El Capitan installer fine, and boots later to the desktop fine, provided that the proper minimal kexts are used, and the Clover configuration is right.

I'm at the optimizing phase. There are quite a few thing that have to be done. Rehabman graciously provided all the guides for that.

-the M.2 NGFF Intel AC 7265 wireless card. Intel wireless cards have never worked in OS X, ever. I replaced it with the overwhelmingly recommended Dell DW1560 NGFF wireless card, based on the Broadcom BCM4352Z chipset. Rehabman provides the kext and the Clover configuration to get 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, bluetooth and handoff working.

-The Elan trackpad. Unfortunately, it doesn't use the standard PS2 interface, but a newer i2c interface. None of the trackpad kexts work: VoodooPS2Controller, ApplePS2Elantrackpad and ApplePS2SmartTouchpad. None of those work. You have to use a USB mouse for the time being. The keyboard works with VoodooPS2Controller, though.

I haven't tried activating yet the audio, the webcam, the backlight, power management, QE/CI graphics and 4K support.
Please attach complete files, because have same laptop.
Thanks
Ettore

How did you get it to boot on your asus laptop? which flags did you use? I have a N551VW over here also with a core i7 6700HQ and a GTX 960M and mine hangs on "mcache 8cpu(s)... " or "mbinit..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back