1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys

Looking for a little help please.

Has anyone transitioned from a clover Yosemite install that works well to a decent El Cap install that works well also, using a similar spec to me? If yes could you please just summarise what you did and if there were any special steps/issues you encountered along the way, and what doesnt/does work.

The reason I ask is that this is my main system, and I cannot afford to explore too much, nor do I have much backup media available to clone the drive, etc. So I almost need to go to a fairly sure bet.

Spec: Asus z97 deluxe, I7 4790K, Thunderbolt EXII card and Apple Cinema, GForce GTX760. Currently everything works well in Yosemite, and natively with Toledo's sound patch.

Much appreciate the help in advance.

At this point I would suggest you stay with Yosemite. Simple reason is you haven't backed up your (only) system drive due to limited space. System drives are pretty cheap today especially if you just need a mechanical drive purely for storage/backup and worth every penny/cent in this very case.

That said El Capitan is still new so there are some installation woes, yet the guides flowing give superb advice how to get it running so please read them. First rule of any guide in this situation is back up your data.

I know what you mean Wild - good advice mate. Getting a second drive for backup..

In the meanwhile I've discovered from conversations that ASMEDIA USB should be disabled on this board as it kicks off kernel panics on install boot, and it's not supported in Cap anyhow. The intel chipset works fine though. So we loose a few USB slots...not a biggie.

If anyone else has any experience on this board - don't hesitate to shout.

By the way - Wild - what's the best way to back up my main drive, so if the upgrade fails, I can restore it exactly as it was?

Thanks.

Best way is to do the install to the brand new drive and keep the one you have just like it is (but unplug it during the install process so there's no confusion).

Second-best way would be to use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner to copy the existing system to the new backup drive. Then boot from the backup drive to ensure it's bootable.

Third-best is probably Time Machine.

After that you're on your own. :)

If you get El Capitan up and running, you can use Migration Assistant to copy the user account and applications (but not system data) from any of the options above.

By the way - Wild - what's the best way to back up my main drive, so if the upgrade fails, I can restore it exactly as it was?

Thanks.

As ammulder mentioned the worthy backup solutions, here is a link to those specifically Backup Solutions For Your Mac or CustoMac. Within this thread are links to Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper.
Which ever solution you try of the latter, make sure you make the drive bootable, thats the best backup you can have.

Thanks.

I am a fan of Clonezilla because you will not need to separately install the boot loader on your backup. I will try to write a guide for its use soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back