Contribute
Register

Asus Z97-A/USB3.1 "Thunderbolt Problem Solved"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Status update on my Thunderbolt implementation on my ASUS Prime Z270-A with the standard ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 card:

After going through many iterations of trying to make TB work in a Windows 10 environment (including the draconian measures of shutting down, pulling the TB card, pressing the power button multiple times to "bleed the capacitors", etc., etc.), ultimately I never really got TB "working" reliably in Windows. The card would sometimes appear in the Windows Thunderbolt control app, and sometimes not. I abandoned this effort and did the following:

1) Shut down
2) Connect my Universal Audio Apollo Twin X Thunderbolt 3 audio interface (using a passive TB 3 cable)
3) Turn ON my Apollo Twin
4) Turn Hackintosh power OFF at the power supply and wait 10 seconds
5) Turn Hackintosh power back ON at the power supply
6) Boot into macOS (10.5.2)
7) Voila. The Universal Audio console app successfully connected to the Apollo, and I was off and running with Pro Tools.

The only thing I DON'T see is any Thunderbolt devices listed in the macOS System Report. Also, hot plug does NOT work, but no big deal for me. I simply need to power up my Apollo first, then the Mac, and I'm golden.

If TB stops working for whatever reason (as it did for me when I booted into Windows 10), the solution is to simply follow steps 3 through 7 above. Then the only thing to remember is to power up the Apollo first. No other steps required.

If I'm so inclined, my next step will be to incorporate a custom SSDT to enable hot plugging, based upon other's research on this wonderful forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back